Finally Took Em (picture heavy)

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
These are on a piece of property owned by my brother in law. Always said, some day I gotta bring my camera and take some pictures. Well, a few weeks back he passed away suddenly. As he was farming it all alone, no wife or kids, we had to get out there right away as there were cattle to tend to. It's a two hour drive from our place and we've been busy driving back and forth but we're slowly getting things squared away. One day I was out there by myself and had the camera. Here's the result.

HPIM0935.jpg

HPIM0936.jpg

HPIM0937.jpg

HPIM0938.jpg

HPIM0939.jpg

HPIM0940.jpg

HPIM0941.jpg

HPIM0942.jpg

HPIM0943.jpg

HPIM0944.jpg

More to come.

The stove is something I've been interested in for years. Problem is, and you can't really see it in the photo, the floor is pretty much gone so you'd have to knock out the wall and reach in with a loader. That ain't gonna happen. If the old girl collapsed in the near future, that's another story, but as bad as she looks I think she's pretty stuborn. If everythings still standing come spring, I'd like to use a loader to get up to the windows of the house and the door of the hay loft to take more pictures.

it just amazes me when I see pictures like that to realize the enormous task that the builders undertook to build places like that. It is also sad to think of the hard life and the proud life that probably was spent there. Great pictures and great thoughts that are conjured up with them.

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. It must be quite a burden to give up 4 hours of your day every time you go check on the cattle.

The old place just looks so sad and lonesome. I can imagine a rope or rail once ran between house and barn so nobody got lost in a blizzard.

Sure hope you can salvage that stove, and probably some interior wood/doors could find a new use. There is nothing like the character and patina of old wood. But it sure is a black hole for time to try and take a house down stick by stick and save stuff.

Great photo's, thanks for sharing. Where is that?

if that ol gal ever decides which direction she want too fall its katy bar the door, looks like she could go in any...are those old newpapers linein' the walls..?

you really need to get that old wood stove out of there if you can.but with things in that bad of shape.the old house will fall getting it out.

Those are some great pictures of the house and barn. You have any idea when they where built? We have a house similar to that one on a neighbors place that use to belong to my family. It was built around 1910-1915 and was lived in till the 50s and abandoned. Almost a fully furnished house until a few years ago some looters came around and took alot out. The floor has major holes in it and chimney has fallen through the house, but still fascinating to look at and in good condition.

Those (and the pics in the other posts) are some of the best pictures I've ever seen anywhere.

I'm also curious to know where those were taken.

Well here's how the story's going. Like I said this all happened a few weeks back. The sad part is he was living with his mom, my mother in law. She just passed away this past summer after a brief illness leaving my brother in law alone. Although he died of a heart attack brought on by a major blockage in an artery, I really beieve that a persons sadness can somehow bring things to an end. He'd been to our place every few weeks after her passing and you could just see he wasn't the same. He'd talked about selling out and moving nearby but it seemed he felt guilty just talking about it. Keep in mind part of the property included the quarter of land the familly originally homesteaded over 98 years ago. Anyway.

In a case like this, decisions need to be made. The cattle were shipped to market. Not the best time price wise but with nearly 150 head we couldn't possibly take them on. Now these critters were out on pasture and needed to be rounded up. What started as a nice slow, quiet day eventually turned into something you could have sold tickets to. In the end their all gone except for six. Actually seven but there's one girl who just might be up for grabs to anyone that can get her. :roll: The last six will be coming to our place as my wife would like to keep a few that belonged to her mom and brother.

The place is in southern Alberta. Now that I think of it, yup it's about three miles to the nearest shade tree. Chrisy, of course the first thing you think about is trying to somehow keep the farm going. Unfortunatly it just can't happen. It's too far away from our place and it's just not in an area my wife and I want to live in. Plus, her other brother has zero interest in the place and wants to sell it as soon as possible. My wife says that come hell or high water she's going to buy the original homestead just to keep it in the family. I'm behind her 100% on that even though we'd wind up renting it out.

Her mom also had a house in the city, about 1-1/2 hours from here. It's an older house that is currenty empty and needs some work before it can go on the market.We're headed there tommorow for two days to see what we can get accomplished. Needless to say, the Christmas season this year has been very hectic and also very sad. I'm excpecting Christmas day to be filled with both laughter and tears. Two chairs will sit empty, two places won't be set. Grandma and Uncle Tim are two names that won't be called as my youngest boy hands out the presents. But it's never all sad is it. This year we have a new grandaughter to dote on. If that doesn't bring out the smiles what will.

That looks like post oak inside of the house. the old house we have on our property has the same kind of wood, it is sturdy as heck, have even had a few people that have said they would tear the place down just so they could have the wood in it. It is kind of amazing how houses were built in the late 1800's /early 1900's. They used newspapers underneathe the wallpaper, and the boards inbetween the walls are many feet apart, no insulation. The rooms upstairs in the old house we have have very short celings. One day the vet was out and he said that they made them this way because the kids had the upstairs bedrooms, so they did not need alot of headroom-kind of makes sense-i guess.

GMN

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that Christmas will bring many joyest memory even though it's sad that they are gone. Just looking at those pic's tell's a story in it's self.

Latest posts