Finally got them all together!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Finally got time to get em all together the market is dropping but, want them weaned for 45 days if possible. I don't know why I insist on weaning them that long I guess I just feel like its the right thing to do. I was raised to always wean for at least 30 days. Gonna work them this weekend. B&G

Calves seem to do better at the Sale Barn if they're weaned, preferably 45 days (presumably the seller is honest). Last year our spring calves were weaned 90 days because the Sale Barn was closed a lot due to rain, holidays and the market tanked toward the end of the year. The owner of the Barn suggested we hold them over until the first part of Jan - I was soooo glad to see them go.

Nice looking group of calves - good luck!

TCRanch":1z22xzag said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1z22xzag said:
I always shed a tear when I send the little fellers to market, this year I figure I'll be flat out bawling.

It's pretty much a given I'll make a spectacle of myself, makes the other ranchers uncomfortable :oops:

This year it's probably best I not even go on sale day.

TennesseeTuxedo":vp1104dn said:
TCRanch":vp1104dn said:
TennesseeTuxedo":vp1104dn said:
I always shed a tear when I send the little fellers to market, this year I figure I'll be flat out bawling.

It's pretty much a given I'll make a spectacle of myself, makes the other ranchers uncomfortable :oops:

This year it's probably best I not even go on sale day.

I always say sale days are the hardest of all.

If you have access to some winter pasture, I'd sit on those calves til spring. I'd say we're either at bottom now, or so close it ain't funny.

cfpinz":30q4pb1r said:
If you have access to some winter pasture, I'd sit on those calves til spring. I'd say we're either at bottom now, or so close it ain't funny.

We just weaned the spring calves. So maybe hold on to them & let them graze the brome field through the winter?

I'm not sure what to do with them. I'd thought about feeding out several and selling them on the rail after they are big enough as we get orders. My thoughts were, that this might make up some for the market right now although I'd be waiting on my money longer. I have a good friend that is really good at feeding them out. Is it fair if I supply the calves all worked and weaned and he feeds them on his place at his expense then we split the profit from the rail. Of course we'd share the risk and mortality?? Thanks for your input in advance. B&G

Black and Good":u7ao96sg said:
Is it fair if I supply the calves all worked and weaned and he feeds them on his place at his expense then we split the profit from the rail. Of course we'd share the risk and mortality?? Thanks for your input in advance. B&G

Let your calculator guide you. Value of calf now, value of feed if sold instead of fed (which is pretty low in our area) = .....

Personally, I like to be done with things. I'd sell the calves and take my lumps if I didn't have a way of feeding them myself. I'm afraid that holding on to things longer in this market doesn't make a lot of financial sense unless you have a way to add value (marketing your own sides of beef) etc.

TCRanch":2j9lrx31 said:
cfpinz":2j9lrx31 said:

We just weaned the spring calves. So maybe hold on to them & let them graze the brome field through the winter?

It's a gamble any way you go, and if we're at bottom now we're gambling on how soon and how much the rebound will be. I'm not familiar with brome, but keep in mind you'll probably have to supplement them thru the winter in order to keep them gaining.

Having seen your animals in person, I'd separate out the heifers and groom them to be sold as replacement heifers - you have nice stock. Worst case and things stay in the tank longer than anticipated, hold them back yourself and grow your herd from within. Now is the time to expand, not when the market is topped out.

Black and Good":1hmglcov said:
I'm not sure what to do with them. I'd thought about feeding out several and selling them on the rail after they are big enough as we get orders. My thoughts were, that this might make up some for the market right now although I'd be waiting on my money longer. I have a good friend that is really good at feeding them out. Is it fair if I supply the calves all worked and weaned and he feeds them on his place at his expense then we split the profit from the rail. Of course we'd share the risk and mortality?? Thanks for your input in advance. B&G

Never shared a responsibility of that nature, and I don't care to work with other folks when it comes to money.

We feed out a handful each year, mostly the off color animals or horned calves, and sell them as halves. There's a big demand for that in our area, much more than I care to fool with actually. People are a pain in the butt.

cfpinz":606xgg2w said:
TCRanch":606xgg2w said:
cfpinz":606xgg2w said:

It's a gamble any way you go, and if we're at bottom now we're gambling on how soon and how much the rebound will be. I'm not familiar with brome, but keep in mind you'll probably have to supplement them thru the winter in order to keep them gaining.

Having seen your animals in person, I'd separate out the heifers and groom them to be sold as replacement heifers - you have nice stock. Worst case and things stay in the tank longer than anticipated, hold them back yourself and grow your herd from within. Now is the time to expand, not when the market is topped out.

We haven't had the brome tested yet but it's pretty high protein, similar to alfalfa. We would most likely supplement with cubes, a little alfalfa & some prairie hay. And thanks, I really like the heifers this year.

Latest posts