Figures on AI

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
I'm going to put a pencil to this AI deal. what would be a good figure for cost of A.I. / cow. Figure $15 per straw and then what for a A.I. tech, synchronizing, heat detection? I intend on learning how to AI but for now I need a figure for someone doing the whole thing, like Genex's "chute-side" service.

Then I need an average conception rate for AI done by a certified tech.

I was going to figure this against what it cost me to keep bulls all year. I think if I went AI i could go down to 1 bull(depending on AI conception rate) and run him as cleanup. Then, I might could figure in a little added value for the calves I market as replacements but i don't expect much of a change in the calves I take to local auction. I could also figure into it that I could possible retain better heifers for myself but I don't know how to figure that.

Just things I'm running through my head so if you can help
Price of AI/cow?
Avg. Conception?
Thanks

Triple S-
I use Genex & here's a rundown of what I spend. Keep in mind that the conception rate depends heavily on you as you are required to do the heat detection. AI is definitely more time consuming, but if you can spare a few days during breeding season to devote to getting your cows bred, the rewards are great.
My guy charges me $10 for each CIDR & $2.50 for the shot of GNRH plus a $40 trip fee. I buy the Lutalyse from him for around $30 and pull the CIDR & give the shot myself in 7 days. The semen will run you from $12 to $150 per straw, you can get great semen for around $20-$25 no need to spend at the high end. He will then charge you a fee to actually inseminate each cow, $35 for the 1st one, $17.50 for the 2nd, & about $5 for each cow thereafter. Fees may be a bit different in your area- but should be close since they are the same company. Having 1 cleanup bull would be perfect, depending on how many cows you run.

If you haven't already give your Genex rep a call- I can't say enough good things about mine. They are full of information. The time commitment will pay of on Thursday when I have a group of cows due on the same day. Makes calving season much less stressful & much shorter. Hope this info helps. Good luck.

I have a question about a cleanup bull that is always talked about. Obviousaly you want to have them AId aand the cleanup bull is backup, but can you tell for sure that a cow has taken the AI? If she has not and you put a bull with 50 cows, do you have to watch the bull 24/7 to see which ones he breeds? If not, what good ar certs if the cow is actually bred by the clean up bull instead of the AI bull?

tulsagreenhorn":2zoi4x2l said:
I have a question about a cleanup bull that is always talked about. Obviousaly you want to have them AId aand the cleanup bull is backup, but can you tell for sure that a cow has taken the AI? If she has not and you put a bull with 50 cows, do you have to watch the bull 24/7 to see which ones he breeds? If not, what good ar certs if the cow is actually bred by the clean up bull instead of the AI bull?

You should wait about two weeks after breeding to put the cleanup bull with the cow. Then when she calves, you can count backward and see which she calved to, bull or AI. Or you could use another breed bull as a clean up. If you run Herefords and AI to Angus, use a Hereford clean up bull. Or if you AI to Hereford, use an Angus (or one of those new BLACK Charolais bulls :D ) as a clean up bull. Another option is a chinball marker on the cleanup bull. They have a vat of paint on the halter and if they mount a cow they'll leave a streak of paint on her back. You'd be pretty sure any cow that came up with paint on her didn't settle to AI.

Frankie":3to9sdtc said:
tulsagreenhorn":3to9sdtc said:

You should wait about two weeks after breeding to put the cleanup bull with the cow. Then when she calves, you can count backward and see which she calved to, bull or AI. Or you could use another breed bull as a clean up. If you run Herefords and AI to Angus, use a Hereford clean up bull. Or if you AI to Hereford, use an Angus (or one of those new BLACK Charolais bulls :D ) as a clean up bull. Another option is a chinball marker on the cleanup bull. They have a vat of paint on the halter and if they mount a cow they'll leave a streak of paint on her back. You'd be pretty sure any cow that came up with paint on her didn't settle to AI.

That makes sense, but dont cows calve early sometimes? Im not trying to be difficult, but I know every cow does not calve at exactly 9 months (I dont know how long gestation is :oops: )

Cows cycle about every 20-21 days. It should be born 20-21 days LATE if you AI her and then the bull breeds her. "Normal" gestation is 283 days but it does vary from breed (and individual).

Thanks for the info. What is the average conception range? I'd like to think through culling and good management I could have a above average rate but just give me a guess.

Regarding the clean up bull, if you are running registered stock you can DNA test the calves to confirm parentage. The tests are simple & inexpensive.

Conception rates for AI- I'm at 100 % this year.

I would get in touch with a semen rep and get quotes from them. It varies alot between each tech. I charge $15 per head and give a discount if they buy the semen from me. I have another job so I don't need to charge an arm and a leg to do it, and most of all it keeps my technique in good shape.

As far as the cleanup bull, I bring all the cattle into a pasture near the corral and AI. All the other cattle not getting AI'd are already out with a bull. I AI and then about 3 to 5 days after AI, I move the cattle to their sire groups. I have been doing this for two years and so far there has not been a question as to who the sire is. And as stated, you can blood type the calf if there is a question.

Good luck

triple'S'":gaetfpjr said:
Thanks for the info. What is the average conception range? I'd like to think through culling and good management I could have a above average rate but just give me a guess.

I think the semen companys say 80% concerption rate. We just got nine pregnancies out of ten straws from one bull, but that doesn't always happen. It depends on the cow, the heat detector, the semen quality and the tech.

Here are my 2007 results from my timed breeding in 2006 with CIDRs.
I had 2 groups, first group was 8 animals all at least 50 days post calving, used CIDRs (2nd use), all bred at one time. 6 of the 8 calved.
The second group was syncronized a month later, this group consisted of 6 animals, again all were at least 50 days post calving. New CIDRs, all bred at 1 time. 5 of the 6 calved to the AI.

So, 11 of 14 cows calved to the AI using the CIDR method and timed breeding (NOT observed heats). 78.5%

Kevin

tulsagreenhorn":1wrxj67b said:

You could put a ball marker on the bull if you don,t want to wait until they calve.

I'd think quoting an 80 percent conception rate for fixed time A'I' is a bit grandiose. After several thousand cows I've learned to never promise more than is regularily achievable. Conception rates on small groups of cows-(under 50) aren't really a true picture.

I've been running around 65% give or take a few points on timed AI of heifers.

Latest posts