FFA Steer dead

Help Support CattleToday:

crewboss

Reaction score
Heard of an FFA kid who lost her 2nd steer in as many years while corraled in the same pen at school. It was said fine one day dead the next. I don't know of their plans for a necropsy, but, are there any soil bourne pathogens that come to mind or perhaps dieseses that could cause this. Different breeders, different years same pen. I would hate to think vandalism.

Thanks

crewboss":3ludzcwe said:
Heard of an FFA kid who lost her 2nd steer in as many years while corraled in the same pen at school. It was said fine one day dead the next. I don't know of their plans for a necropsy, but, are there any soil bourne pathogens that come to mind or perhaps dieseses that could cause this. Different breeders, different years same pen. I would hate to think vandalism.

Thanks

Blackleg is found in the soil, but it is commonly vaccinated for. Might be worth a look.

Sadly, I would suspect vandalism. I was in FFA in the 90's and we had to shut down the greenhouse because someone planted it full of marijuana. We also had two aquaculture tanks full of catfish killed. Once by concentrated fertilizer, once by a thermostat turned up too high for the weekend. The list goes on and on. :(

dyates":5fxydutl said:
Sadly, I would suspect vandalism. I was in FFA in the 90's and we had to shut down the greenhouse because someone planted it full of marijuana. We also had two aquaculture tanks full of catfish killed. Once by concentrated fertilizer, once by a thermostat turned up too high for the weekend. The list goes on and on. :(

That is awful, just plain awful. Would it be toxic if someone would have given it anti freeze to drink?? That would be fairly simple to do, even if the animal had an automatic waterer.

I sure hope something like that is not the case. Why would someone do such things. :mad:

Well some people are just mean. Then there are people that feel like they have been slighted and want to get revenge or get even. BUT, around here it's generally someone that never ahd anything and doesn't want anyone else to have anything either. We call it white trash and there's a bunch of them.

I'm a vo-ag/FFA student now and the sad fact is that the rest of the school population has no idea who we are or how hard we work for what we want. If you ask a random person they would probably tell you our hallway stinks. There is a great possibility it was vandalisim but most average people would not jump into a pen with a big steer in it if they don't know it. I would consider things they did from the outside. Poison? Hope everything turns out ok. I sure feel bad for the student.

Latest posts