fertilizer question

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
i have forgotten how many units of phosphoros and potash are in a 100#'s of each.. can someone tell me what they are? a common fertilizer around here is triple 17, or at this time of year it is triple 19... difference being urea is used in the triple 19.. and i remember its value is 46.. but cant remember the other 2...

thanks in advance

jt

One hundred pounds of triple 17 has 17 pounds of actual N, P, and K. All fertilizer has three numbers. Like 17-17-17 or 10-20-20. They represent the percent of N, P, and K in that order. Some fertilizer will list other elements such as sulfur or magnesium. A common one in this area is 21-7-14 9S. The 9S is sulfur content of the blend. Urea is 46-0-0.
Dave

Dave":34414w2r said:
One hundred pounds of triple 17 has 17 pounds of actual N, P, and K. All fertilizer has three numbers. Like 17-17-17 or 10-20-20. They represent the percent of N, P, and K in that order. Some fertilizer will list other elements such as sulfur or magnesium. A common one in this area is 21-7-14 9S. The 9S is sulfur content of the blend. Urea is 46-0-0.
Dave

yep, i know, but if i bought 100 # of potash or phosphoros, what is the number? urea is 46, but what are the others??... how many units in each of those 100#?

jt

The phosphorous is the second number. So if it is 0-36-0 there is 36 percent phosphorous or 36 pounds of phosphorous per hundred pounds with no nitrogen or potassium. The potassium is the third number. The amount of each will depend source or blend as to how many pounds there is in it.
Just as there are different sources of nitrogen (urea-46%, ammoniun nitrate-34%) there are lots of different sources of P and K which have different levels of nutrient in them.
I am not sure that I am answering your question jt. I am a certified crop adviser and give people recommendations about fertilizer all the time but I am sitting here staring at the computer screen. Either I am just not understanding your question or it has been too long of a week already???
Dave

Dave":m8nvm51r said:
The phosphorous is the second number. So if it is 0-36-0 there is 36 percent phosphorous or 36 pounds of phosphorous per hundred pounds with no nitrogen or potassium. The potassium is the third number. The amount of each will depend source or blend as to how many pounds there is in it.
Just as there are different sources of nitrogen (urea-46%, ammoniun nitrate-34%) there are lots of different sources of P and K which have different levels of nutrient in them.
I am not sure that I am answering your question jt. I am a certified crop adviser and give people recommendations about fertilizer all the time but I am sitting here staring at the computer screen. Either I am just not understanding your question or it has been too long of a week already???
Dave

:lol: i doubt it is you... i sometimes dont get all the words in the right order.. :lol:

that answered it i guess, because i didnt realize that different products were used in the p and k part of the fertilizer... around here we get ammonia at 34 mixed to get a triple 17, or urea at 46 to get a triple 19... i guess i just presumed (and that is probably my problem :lol: ) that the p and k were more standard... and i was wondering what their %age or unit base was per 100#.

thanks

jt

Latest posts