Fertilizer Filler question

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
When your soil sample calls for , say 60 pounds per acre of nitrogen , you have to put out around 160 pounds of nitrate fertilizer to the acre , right?

What is the filler and why is it in there?

This filler or carrying agent as they like to call it can be anything, sand, pepples, saw dust, and even Toxic Waste! Yes the EPA allows up to 20% of the total weight to be toxic waste that we pay people to spread on our fields and then let the crops grow, our livestock to live and our families to work and play. What about the run off and leaching into the water ways and wells? Dont forget that the Companies that want to get rid of the toxic waste pay the Fertilzer companies to take it off thier hands at a much cheaper price then what a toxic waste disposal company would charge. Plus the Fertilizer company does not have to pay for the sand, pepples ect. So looks like a win / win situation for everyone! Oh wait maybe not for our health and our land.
Brad

It is easy to get confused about how much fertilizer to apply. If your soil sample calls for 60 pounds of nitrate or other ingredient make sure of the percentage nitrogen your fertilizer has in it. Also if you are applying nitogen and pottasium make sure that the pottasium doesnt actually contain nitrogen.

My fertilizer supplier has a computer program that gives him the actual pounds of fertilizer after entering the pounds of nutrients recommended per soil sample.

Maybe everybody else already knows this info but it was news to me.

skyeagle":2327939s said:
You know I'd like to see someone make it public
to what companies would put toxic waste in their product.

Persoanlly, I think "toxic waste" is a buzzword that's meant to strike fear into people hearts/minds. What may be a tocix waste in one volume may be a normally occuring compound that isn;t toxic in another. Keep in mind, these are just my own opinions. I've tried to do searches about the subject and most ofthe things they "scare tactic sites" talk about are metals, etc., residue from chimney scrubbers and stuff like that.

dun

dun":18ul87wa said:
skyeagle":18ul87wa said:
You know I'd like to see someone make it public
to what companies would put toxic waste in their product.

Persoanlly, I think "toxic waste" is a buzzword that's meant to strike fear into people hearts/minds. What may be a tocix waste in one volume may be a normally occuring compound that isn;t toxic in another. Keep in mind, these are just my own opinions. I've tried to do searches about the subject and most ofthe things they "scare tactic sites" talk about are metals, etc., residue from chimney scrubbers and stuff like that.

dun

I agree with dun. The term "Toxic Waste" is just a term used to try to scare folks. If you want to use it in this type of way look under you kitchen sink at the various cleaners, they are also toxic waste. Even the trucks hauling some of these trucks can't haul but a predetermined quanity. If they go over a certain amount they have to have a hazardous waste sticker. By the way the next time you get up from the commode look inside, Yep that also toxic waste. Its considered Bio Hazardous toxic waste. Cut you finger and get blood on a tissue, yep thats also toxic waste. The term toxic waste has more to do with quanity and applications. Most anything can be considered toxic. The clorine in your drinking water is also toxic. Just because a product is waste in one application does not make it unsafe in another application. Look at sodium cloride. Either one of these by themselves alone will kill you, combine the two and you eat it everday.

BAMA - HMT,NR-EMT, ont, gtscf

Hazardous Material Technician, National Registry Emergency Medical Technician, other nonpernant titles, guy that spreads chemical fertilizers.

Dun- Thanks for the link. From what I've heard some states are stricter than others. Something to think about-- A person puts a sack over there head and walks into on coming traffic. What killed them the sack or the car? A few years of research will give us an answer which half of us will disagree on. I for one am not going to put a sack over my head or walk into traffic, so I don't care what the research finds. Right or wrong I'm going to use the products I know don't have the toxics in them. Very few fertilizer companies I have asked will say what there fillers are. So I don't take a chance with them.

Latest posts