Fertelizer cost this spring

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
Putting out 60-N, 30-P, and 60-K per acre this spring, cost spred is $94.67 per acre or about $568 a ton. That includes them spreding it and only on 30 acres.
What is it costing y'all?

I'm thru fertilizing till at least fall...Got suckered into putting out 4 tons of 30-10-10 ($522.50/ton) six weeks ago...

that 1/10th of an inch of rain I got that night really was useful. Really got the job done.....Biggest waste of money since last fall when I fertilized and planted oats. :x

Somethings wrong....farm cash flow is in the black so far for the year... :lol: Wonder if this will be the first time since 1992 it will end up that way... :shock:

Just contracted for chicken litter. $30.00 per ton delivered and spread. I will top it with a little nitrogen per acre.

Getting 100 tons of litter spread for $30/ton. Will use 60 tons on a hayfield and the rest elsewhere.
That will still leave me with a potash problem that I'll have to deal with.

1982vett":32euzsv9 said:
I'm thru fertilizing till at least fall...Got suckered into putting out 4 tons of 30-10-10 ($522.50/ton) six weeks ago...

that 1/10th of an inch of rain I got that night really was useful. Really got the job done.....Biggest waste of money since last fall when I fertilized and planted oats. :x

Somethings wrong....farm cash flow is in the black so far for the year... :lol: Wonder if this will be the first time since 1992 it will end up that way... :shock:

Dude if you had only broadcast rye grass the way the wind was blowing last week.......it would all be down here now! :)
Agh its going to rain! It ain't even hurricane season yet.

Kingfisher":q2dsp2x7 said:
Dude if you had only broadcast rye grass the way the wind was blowing last week.......it would all be down here now! :)
Agh its going to rain! It ain't even hurricane season yet.

That hasn't meant squat in my neck of the woods the past 10 years or more. Just more wind is all.

Jogeephus":25vsuufk said:
Anyone care to figure what it will cost to fertilize four cuttings on 115 acres of bermuda hay? :bang:
Around here a lot less than one would think....no rain no fertilizer....but if it rained here like it does in GA and I fertilized for my soil it would cost about $40,000. Doesn't sound like much...what's wrong? Hope you geet more than 2 bales/per acre like we've been getting...course 2/per acre would sound pretty good right now....

That's about what I figured. If I choose to go that route I'd probably end up with between 2300 - 2800 rolls. I think I'll shoot for half that many cause I still have some from last year and I haven't upped the numbers since our drought a few years ago. Life has been much simpler with a lower stocking rate and reasonably good rainfall. Of course I don't get to handle as much money but the bottom line hasn't really suffered as much as one might think. But then again, the jury is still out about just dumping them all and planting peanuts and cotton or better yet - renting it to someone and just relaxing for a spell cause land rent has gone through the roof around here with commodotity prices. Heck, I'm tempted to plow up my sweet corn and plant cotton in my garden. :lol2:

Herd liquidations are picking up fast around here so there won't be a need for the hay we can't grow. I'm on the fence as to what to do. Roughly half the herd left and 3 months of hay maybe a month of pasture. Cattle prices are just to good to try to feed our way out of this mess. Nobody believes the empty promises of rain. I'm even in the verge of trying to find a life outside of work. Might have to head up to Arkansas to get get the baling bug satisfied. Or at least set on the tailgate and watch. Lol. Swing on thru GA on the way to the beach in FL. Been 30 years since I've done such a thing. Setting in a bar in College Station right now. Haven't done that in 18. Time for me to try to learn how to enjoy life. As crappy aas it may seem. Just one element missing the way I see it.

Latest posts