Fencing Question

Help Support CattleToday:

you are right jake, a horse apple falls out the back end of a horse.
also road apples, we have alot of road apples in this country with all our amish neighbors.
Hillbilly

We have the Osage Orange trees here in Tennessee too. We call them bo dock or hedge apples. The wood is hard, will last virtually forever and the fruit or apples are used to put in the corners of rooms to keep spiders out.

Quite a few years ago I got the hair-brained idea that it would be a good hobby to carve duck decoys out of a variety of different woods that had interesting colors or grain patterns. I got my hands on some logs and cut and seasoned some pecan, persimmon, oak, mesquite and bodock. They were all exceedingly hard to carve, but I think trying to carve rock or steel wouldn't be much harder than carving on seasoned bodock. I rather quickly abandoned duck decoy carving as a hobby. But even now I still fancy the idea of making a bow out of bodock (Osage Orange) they way the Indians did.

Diamond willow is also a great wood for posts. Extremely hard to find straight lengths.i have one fenceline that the posts are 60 yrs old.My dad put them in the 40,s.

Arnold Ziffle":3e2tla32 said:
Quite a few years ago I got the hair-brained idea that it would be a good hobby to carve duck decoys out of a variety of different woods that had interesting colors or grain patterns. I got my hands on some logs and cut and seasoned some pecan, persimmon, oak, mesquite and bodock. They were all exceedingly hard to carve, but I think trying to carve rock or steel wouldn't be much harder than carving on seasoned bodock. I rather quickly abandoned duck decoy carving as a hobby. But even now I still fancy the idea of making a bow out of bodock (Osage Orange) they way the Indians did.

Have been building bows for years out of osage and other wood it's not easy. The first thing you need is the paitence of Job. If you would like more info PM me.

Latest posts