Fencing cost per foot including paying some else to build it

Help Support CattleToday:

High Cotton

Reaction score
I need help bidding a job. I have an chance to make a few bucks or trade that towards some cows building a fence for the people I have been helping. I know how to build them but I don't know what to charge or what it worth. They want 42" Red Brand field fence with two trands of barb wire on top. T post spaced 10ft with a wood post about every 100ft or so. I should be able to use 6ft t-posts. Also I can get recycled telephone poles for $1 per ft. The field fence is running about $180 per 330ft roll. I havent measured it out but I'm guesstimating close to 4000-4500ft. Theres an old fence there but its not salvageable. It's just rusted to pieces literally. That's another factor I'm going to have to clean all the old junk up before I pound the first post. What have you payed in the past or charged others to build something similar. I really appreciate any help. I'm selling off my play toys and doing lots of odd jobs saving all I can to get the ball rolling on my place.
Randy.

Are you supplying the materials or are they? Will you hire any labor to assist you?

If you are supplying the materials I'd mark them up by 50% over what you paid.

If I were you and all I was supplying was my labor and expertise then I'd give them an hourly rate and a rough estimate of how many hours I thought the job would take. Then I'd bust my tail to bring the job in on time and budget. Only you can determine what your time is worth.

You could always get a local fencing company to bid the job then try to determine if you could make money doing it at the same rate.

Good luck.

They buy the materials they want. You build it for $1000 per 1/4 mile. That's for everything- corners, h-braces, gates ect. You will need to hire some hands to help if you want to do it in a timely fashion, unless it's only a couple quarters.

Oops, just saw you posted the distance as 4000-4500ft. It would run .70-.75 cents per foot here labor only, but the clearing of the old fence aint included in that.

we hired a guy to put in .25mi of fence here awhile back an paid him $600 for the job.he cleaned the fencerow as good as he could with the chain saw.used our tractor an digger to set the corners an streach post.took him about 3wks working when he wanted to build it,an he worked alone.brother was building another fence the same footage,so we used 10 rolls of barbed wire an prolly 150 steel T posts.we was putting the post 12ft a part.

Lot depends on what the going rate for Labor is in your area, and what you are willing to work for. The crew that does our fencing here (new T-Post fencing w/7 barb wires, plus "H" and "T" brace units and gates) charges $15. per man hour, plus flat rate for welding brace units, plus any materials they supply. Generally, we buy the T-Posts, Pipe for brace units, Barb Wire and gates. They pick up materials and take to job site. They charge extra for hanging a gate ($65), and brace units ($200 to 300 each depending on how much welding is required).

The last job they did on 102 acres which included a 100x100 ft catch pen with 4 gates and one cross fence (totaled about 1.25 miles) ran about $2.00 a foot. The more welding done, the higher the cost per foot.

On removing any old fencing: Will take about as much manpower and time as installing a new fence. I'd figure the same cost per foot to remove old posts, roll up wire, etc.

Our fence guys use one supervisor and 2 to 3 helpers on a job. We're in sand & clay/gravelly/sand soil types.

P.S.: Any materials you get, include time/cost to get, load, transport materials to job site. Plus a mark-up for profit. Always add % profit to any materials and hired labor.

Here that would be 2.25-2.50/ft plus the cost of cleaning up the old fence..say another.50/ft
That's material and labor

FOr sure, shop around, get lots of bids, talk with them when they visit for the estimate. Pay attention to the equipment they have, their knowledge level, etc. There are ALL KINDS of people out there doing fencing.

Ruark":1jtzsd00 said:
FOr sure, shop around, get lots of bids, talk with them when they visit for the estimate. Pay attention to the equipment they have, their knowledge level, etc. There are ALL KINDS of people out there doing fencing.

I'm bidding doing the job for some one else. So I can't really have other people go bid the job.

I get 70 cents pr ft and $100 for every extra set of brace post other the the starting and ending corners I get an extra $50 pr gate to hang them I supply NO materials
for clearing the fence row I get $85pr hr on the dozer if done by hand I get $25 pr hr pr man and $65 pr hr for the tractor and operator

Latest posts