fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2rpa5sk4 said:
True Grit Farms":2rpa5sk4 said:
Why didn't you put the brace in the middle of the pole for a even angled triangle Fenceman?

Good question.
What you are seeing is a portion of new 8 foot fence. The majority of the job is extending a existing four foot fence. Since we are extending the existing braces. We kept the same grade on the diagonal braces. For uniformity.
Looks a little odd I agree. But did save considerable dollars.
Some pics of the extended fence.
Being built, not complete.

Better picture. Existing brace. We only welded a few feet of pipe on top.

Here's a tip for ya Fence..... If you build fence for the citified urbanite sissys, make sure to get paid up front. Man this is gettin old.

I can only describe the tool I want. Can't find a picture of one anywhere. The one I had, appeared to be almost as old as time. I lost it in a tornado, and was never able to find a suitable replacement.

It's a metal handle, not wood. It's about 40" long. It has a set of jaws on it, that pinch the wire. The harder you pull, the harder it pinches. The jaws are near the end of the tool, that rest on the post. For short pulls, and patching, it was great.

Anybody know what that tool is, and where it can be found?

I have seen, a wooden handled fence stretcher (I even copied it in meta), that works similar. The difference is, it has a gripper hanging from it. The tool I am describing is a gripper. The handle provides leverage. It's only good on a wood post, or tree.

Look in Fence's photos above where he's bringing the net around that pipe post. Look anything like that? Fence calls that a goldenrod...We just call it a barbed wire stretcher. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say goldenrod is the proper name.

Farm Fence Solutions":2b771pcu said:
Look in Fence's photos above where he's bringing the net around that pipe post. Look anything like that? Fence calls that a goldenrod...We just call it a barbed wire stretcher. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say goldenrod is the proper name.

Naw, I must have done a bad job of explaining it. There is nothing to jack on this tool. Works off of leverage.

ok so im gonna ask a stupid question because everyone ive seen do it ..does it this way and I hate it...
when you come to the end of the run..at the h brace....pulling barb wire how do you tie it off...most everyone I know will stretch it past it and then staple it solid...unhook the puller and wrap it off...I hate beating a staple into the wire...
I have pulled from down the line before the h brace and then wrapped the slack around the last pole without stapling it..but it seems to lose too much tension.
so now what I do is put those roller type wheel tensioners you need the little handle to tighten . those are great but more work

cant tell me everyone does it this way...

I hate staples so much I don't even keep em on the truck. Hard to drive into a piece of pipe anyway
Different folks got different ideas about what tight is. I pull it with a comealong and dog.
If I'm not breaking a wire every now and then it's not tight enough. My grandfather insisted every wire e pulled until it broke. Spliced and pulled again. I've got 50 year old fence that is still badazz tight.
They stretched all the stretch out off it the first time.

Probably couldn't do it that way in a cold climate. But we do here

dogman11":2cgk3oag said:
Bigfoot":2cgk3oag said:
Found it. Of all places NRS had them.

Dumb ?
What's NRS?
Can ya post a link to that stretcher?

Thanks

National Ropers Supply. No idea why they carry it. I have found it no other place, and don't know what it's called. The one I lost was ancient, but worked great. Can't swear this one work as good, and definitely has a shorter handle. I have already ordered one, so we'll see.
https://www.nrsworld.com/moore-maker/28 ... tcher-6750

Bigfoot":3ritcgmk said:
dogman11":3ritcgmk said:
Bigfoot":3ritcgmk said:
Found it. Of all places NRS had them.

Dumb ?
What's NRS?
Can ya post a link to that stretcher?

Thanks

National Ropers Supply. No idea why they carry it. I have found it no other place, and don't know what it's called. The one I lost was ancient, but worked great. Can't swear this one work as good, and definitely has a shorter handle. I have already ordered one, so we'll see.
https://www.nrsworld.com/moore-maker/28 ... tcher-6750

Bought mine here: http://store.ranchmate.com/products/post-wire-stretcher

bbirder":qjatm1xh said:
Hey Bigfoot,
Did you notice the ship date on that puller. Shows they don't stock it.
4-6 weeks

No I didn't. I did notice that some wranglers I ordered will be two weeks out. I guess I was so disappointed in that, i lost focus.

What's the best way to stretch woven wire fence? Is it best to tie off both ends then pull it from the middle and splice the wire together?

dieselbeef":1j86y45j said:
ok so im gonna ask a stupid question because everyone ive seen do it ..does it this way and I hate it...
when you come to the end of the run..at the h brace....pulling barb wire how do you tie it off...most everyone I know will stretch it past it and then staple it solid...unhook the puller and wrap it off...I hate beating a staple into the wire...
I have pulled from down the line before the h brace and then wrapped the slack around the last pole without stapling it..but it seems to lose too much tension.
so now what I do is put those roller type wheel tensioners you need the little handle to tighten . those are great but more work

cant tell me everyone does it this way...

We don't ever hard staple any wire. The simplest way is to tie your ends off and strain to the middle with a ratchet or Gripple. We use a Hayes style chain stretcher to go the end, and then one of Bigfoot's not so hard to find wire stretchers to take the rest of the slack out and tie off. BTW Bigfoot, I know where to find those too. :D

Latest posts