fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

alright children back to the deal here...you guys use strainers on your h brace wire or twist it with a piece of wood or something in it..i wanna see some pics of that

dieselbeef":sowssxgw said:
alright children back to the deal here...you guys use strainers on your h brace wire or twist it with a piece of wood or something in it..i wanna see some pics of that

apparently if I answer your question because I don't do it for a living I don't know what I'm talking about but hey I didn't go to college top learn how to fence , Oh wait they don't offer that in school , HMMMM I wonder where you learn how to build fence ???? dang it my day is going to pot.

ill bet most of ya got showed more than me...2o yrs ago I bought dirt..not a fence or anything but trees and grass on it..now its got about 2 mi of fence and alotta other stuff...no one I knew ranched or built a house or a barn or anything...

I learned it by lookin online at stuff and others peoples fencejobs...and the hard way...like most of us learned..

my way is best anyways so idk why im even in this thread

M-5, you threw your hat in this ring. Nothing I've typed out here was for any other reason than to be helpful. For the record, we DID build about 200 different braces in Ag Engineering 201 in COLLEGE to test strength and points of failure. My fencing education is an evolving process, and I look forward to learning something from you before I eat the raw crow. We still go through plenty of trial and error, but one thing I can tell you for a fact is that you'll never ever ever sandwich HT net between two pieces of lumber and stretch it to it's capability. I'm sorry if that steps on anybody's toes, but it is what it is. You just can't outsmart physics.

Good on you dieselbeef. That's how ya get it done. I'll snap some brace pics real quick.

Farm Fence Solutions":1esara0g said:
M-5, I'm not the kind to engage in an internet argument or beat my chest in a display of alpha male machoism, so I'll do my best to stay brief and civil. I have dedicated my life to farm fence, and it's something that I'm quite passionate about. 50 individual stretches of woven wire is a typical week for me, and I've traveled the world to absorb and adapt the skills and methods that we use every day, so I feel like I have a decent handle on the process. With all due respect, wooden fence stretchers might get a guy by on some low carbon net, but if you want to get a HT fence tight like it ought to be, it ain't gonna happen with wooden stretcher boards. I'm an "Oh really? Prove it." kind of guy, so instead of doing this with keyboards, I propose we all meet somewhere in the middle and have ourselves a friendly little fence stretching competition. If you can put a strain up to the manufactures spec on some HT net with your Oak boards, I'll eat crow and buy you a roll of net and a roll of barbed wire for your time and trouble in educating me. Get enough interested folks, and I'll even bring the wire for the friendly competition. Anybody in TN want to host?
I'm not M-5 but if you're willing to make it Oklahoma or Kansas or the Texas panhandle I'll take you up on it. There's a ton of fence needing to get built there after the fires. You'll want to bring extra material though because I'm either going to break the wire or pull your braces out of the ground just to show you how to do it. ;-) I don't care much for woven wire so you can donate my winnings to fire relief.

5/32" Galvanized aircraft cable and large Gripples. 12.5 gauge HT and a medium Gripple or ratchet works as well, but you need two wraps. Twisting HT with a stick is a dangerous game. I had a contractor friend in KY get a finger sewed back on because of a slip in the process.

dieselbeef":1icl8f3y said:
The point is to pull the top of the post back to the corner or end post. I drive two nails in a little, one at the base of the end post and one even with where the top strand will be on the second post just to make it easier to wrap my wire and then I double wrap it and pull the slack out as I go. Once you have two wraps tie your ends of to each other and staple both wires to the post and pull the nails. Then if there is much slack on either side roll the two strands together to get both sides fairly even. Some people use a stick to wind it tight and then leave the stick in and leave it up against the brace post to hold tension but I've always just used a claw hammer to wind it.

how do you pull that tight without a twist in between the poles...I use a ratchet strainer..wrap it once around the poles and make a single from each end to pull in the middle

here is my quote
M-5":1ozc579e said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1ozc579e said:
cow pollinater":1ozc579e said:
I use two 2x4's bolted together to sandwich the wire. Clamp it down tight and wrap a chain around top and bottom and pull from the middle.

That might get you by, but 2x4's won't get a good enough bite on the wire to get it tight. Chain style boundary strainers and a good pair of net boards will get you way more good out of your wire.

I'm not a payed fence stretcher but have installed many miles of web wire using oak 2x4 wire clamp . it does not slip.

here is yours
Farm Fence Solutions":1ozc579e said:
M-5, I'm not the kind to engage in an internet argument or beat my chest in a display of alpha male machoism, so I'll do my best to stay brief and civil. I have dedicated my life to farm fence, and it's something that I'm quite passionate about. 50 individual stretches of woven wire is a typical week for me, and I've traveled the world to absorb and adapt the skills and methods that we use every day, so I feel like I have a decent handle on the process. With all due respect, wooden fence stretchers might get a guy by on some low carbon net, but if you want to get a HT fence tight like it ought to be, it ain't gonna happen with wooden stretcher boards. I'm an "Oh really? Prove it." kind of guy, so instead of doing this with keyboards, I propose we all meet somewhere in the middle and have ourselves a friendly little fence stretching competition. If you can put a strain up to the manufactures spec on some HT net with your Oak boards, I'll eat crow and buy you a roll of net and a roll of barbed wire for your time and trouble in educating me. Get enough interested folks, and I'll even bring the wire for the friendly competition. Anybody in TN want to host?

you should be able to discern your the one that got your panties in a wad .......... I never questioned your ability to build a fence or mention the fact you don't know how to use the fence stretcher I was talking about . I can pull and break anything you want me to with nothing but a wood post as the anchor point on web wire. fence building is not rocket science and if I had a mind to I could start building fence tomorrow for a living . I get offers all the time to build field fence as every field fence installer around here is a drunk and a thief.

dieselbeef":2oy6r8e4 said:
how do you pull that tight without a twist in between the poles...I use a ratchet strainer..wrap it once around the poles and make a single from each end to pull in the middle

If you're asking me, I use a large Gripple on the cable braces. Tighten with a Gripple contractor tool.

Farm Fence Solutions":16wi9891 said:
M-5, you threw your hat in this ring. Nothing I've typed out here was for any other reason than to be helpful. For the record, we DID build about 200 different braces in Ag Engineering 201 in COLLEGE to test strength and points of failure. My fencing education is an evolving process, and I look forward to learning something from you before I eat the raw crow. We still go through plenty of trial and error, but one thing I can tell you for a fact is that you'll never ever ever sandwich HT net between two pieces of lumber and stretch it to it's capability. I'm sorry if that steps on anybody's toes, but it is what it is. You just can't outsmart physics.

Good on you dieselbeef. That's how ya get it done. I'll snap some brace pics real quick.

What tool and how are you grabbing ahold of the field fence with to stretch it tight? Thanks

cowpoll ive done it both of your ways...it works good. ive got some I built 27 yrs ago twistin with a claw hammer

my neighbor had a pro do theirs..it tied off to one of my posts..hmmm..i let that slide...but because they used woven wire I guess,they unwrapped my wires and left em just hand pulled tight..and crooked to boot...8 strands since it was a calf pasture..i had to go fix all them..he heard about that..but the fence guy probly didnt

I think Fence and Farm Fence Solutions should make a YouTube channel on how to properly build a fence. There's not really any good how to videos out there that I have found.

pricefarm":2m7faorg said:
I think Fence and Farm Fence Solutions should make a YouTube channel on how to properly build a fence. There's not really any good how to videos out there that I have found.

every single fence builder thinks the way they do it is the only way to do it so you would not get a consensus . There are a couple of university Vids Ive seen on corners and braces but It aint real complicated . The regional differences are the biggest factors because what works here wont work there and so forth.

M-5":2q1l1ea7 said:
pricefarm":2q1l1ea7 said:

every single fence builder thinks the way they do it is the only way to do it so you would not get a consensus . There are a couple of university Vids Ive seen on corners and braces but It aint real complicated . The regional differences are the biggest factors because what works here wont work there and so forth.

M-5, you are spot on. Angled strut braces are common round the world, except here. You wouldn't build a wooden H brace in Texas or Oklahoma rock country where well pipe is available. And I don't think my way is the only way. I'm sincere when I say that I look forward to learning something on a field day. I also enjoy sharing what I've learned. We are filming now for a youtube series of fencing techniques in our region. We would certainly welcome any other videos that other contractors would like to share.

M-5":xyvjxrfh said:
here is my quote
M-5":xyvjxrfh said:
Farm Fence Solutions":xyvjxrfh said:
That might get you by, but 2x4's won't get a good enough bite on the wire to get it tight. Chain style boundary strainers and a good pair of net boards will get you way more good out of your wire.

I'm not a payed fence stretcher but have installed many miles of web wire using oak 2x4 wire clamp . it does not slip.

here is yours
Farm Fence Solutions":xyvjxrfh said:

you should be able to discern your the one that got your panties in a wad .......... I never questioned your ability to build a fence or mention the fact you don't know how to use the fence stretcher I was talking about . I can pull and break anything you want me to with nothing but a wood post as the anchor point on web wire. fence building is not rocket science and if I had a mind to I could start building fence tomorrow for a living . I get offers all the time to build field fence as every field fence installer around here is a drunk and a thief.
No wadded panties here. You should take up those offers to dive in the fence business. I find it pretty rewarding.

cow pollinater":3qxqdela said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3qxqdela said:
I'm not M-5 but if you're willing to make it Oklahoma or Kansas or the Texas panhandle I'll take you up on it. There's a ton of fence needing to get built there after the fires. You'll want to bring extra material though because I'm either going to break the wire or pull your braces out of the ground just to show you how to do it. ;-) I don't care much for woven wire so you can donate my winnings to fire relief.

I am absolutely willing to make it there. If you'd like to track down someone that is in real need of a hand, I'll throw a 660' roll in to help out. If you just want to try to break something, then I'm out. If you want to do something worthwhile and productive, then I'm in for sure. Make it as close to Dallas as possible (I know it won't be real close) and one day the week of March 27th lets make it happen.

Farm Fence Solutions":33xx936d said:
cow pollinater":33xx936d said:
Farm Fence Solutions":33xx936d said:

I am absolutely willing to make it there. If you'd like to track down someone that is in real need of a hand, I'll throw a 660' roll in to help out. If you just want to try to break something, then I'm out. If you want to do something worthwhile and productive, then I'm in for sure. Make it as close to Dallas as possible (I know it won't be real close) and one day the week of March 27th lets make it happen.
I'm tied up that week as I just got a second load of supplies donated to go to Kansas after this coming weeks load and I do still have a ranch to run in between. I have a page long list of people in need. If you can do it later in April/early May I'll meet you wherever you want to go. :D

perhaps with all the jockeying over who is the better fence builder my question got missed. but since this is the place that obviously has expert fence builders i feel that you can answer my question. who has seen t-post with holes instead of studs? the called them punch posts if that helps. how do you attach the wire? they are 6 ft tall with a spade on em.holes are maybe every 2 in down the spine of the post.

Farm Fence Solutions":2bfifuda said:
If you just want to try to break something, then I'm out.
I thought you said it would slip before it got tight. ;-) I promise I won't break anything unless you get stubborn and make me prove it. :D

Latest posts