fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

Went and got 4 pallets 80 lb sacks of cmt . ( was going to get a ready mix truck but ground too wet) using 4 1/2 drill pipe for post , 2- 2 3/8 tbg for runners and 4 1/2 dp top rail , ( bought 200 jts for dollar a joint years ago from a drilling contractor when I was a company man ) post with the tool joints left on sure are heavy, guess that is why I have a fence crew doing most of it. 32 degrees with 15 mph north wind is not my cup of tea ( hell on cattle and roughnecks,but maybe next time I will not put it off till it has to be done

f1tiger":1kcqan47 said:
Went and got 4 pallets 80 lb sacks of cmt . ( was going to get a ready mix truck but ground too wet) using 4 1/2 drill pipe for post , 2- 2 3/8 tbg for runners and 4 1/2 dp top rail , ( bought 200 jts for dollar a joint years ago from a drilling contractor when I was a company man ) post with the tool joints left on sure are heavy, guess that is why I have a fence crew doing most of it. 32 degrees with 15 mph north wind is not my cup of tea ( be nice on cattle and roughnecks,but maybe next time I will not put it off till it has to be done

Sounds like that oughta turn em. Even tigers ;-)

14 degrees the last 2 morning: cmt not setting up real fast do not have any CaCl2 so maybe might have to use some salt lol

Used this for the first time last week. After seeing a utility contractor use it for a pole. I thought it worked pretty well and I'm going to keep a couple of bags in each truck. About equal to a 80 pound bag of concrete. I wouldn't build a fence with it at 10.00 a pop but handy for repairs. No water needed sets up in a few minutes.

I thought I'd share how we strain HT fixed knot net around a turn post. This stretch in particular was a gentle turn, and being creosote posts, the wire would have slid right around on it's own. With this techinque, 90* turns around CCA posts are fairly easy. I figured since it was sunny, and I wasn't in a rush, I'd better take some pictures so I can make a worthwhile contribution to Fence's trove of tips.

1. Drive a staple about 1/3 deep at each line wire.
2. Bend the staples over.
3. Tack a keeper staple over 3 or so line wires.
4. Dab some grease on each bent over staple.
5. Drive a staple UNDER each line wire(again, about 1/3 deep is good) to keep them riding on the greased staples. Keep in mind that you'll need to reset these when each stay wire reaches the post.

Proper High Tensile termination knots.

Gut strain setup.

Photographic proof that Gripples are awesome. The tension gauge is between the net boards here, and 100% of that tension was created by Medium Gripples. We actually slack the chains on the Hayes strainers when we make our join. Barbed wire folk should look past the net fence, there's a giant surprise behind it.

Farm Fence Solutions":2qxvsfhc said:
True Grit Farms":2qxvsfhc said:
I don't see the benefit of doing that myself. But y'all are the pro's.

Care to elaborate?

I learned a long time ago that you can't beat a man at his game. When I make a turn I just weave a piece of pipe through the holes and pull and staple. I'd like to see a video of why and how you do it that way. I'm always into learning a faster and easier way to do something.

True Grit Farms":1p0gwsqw said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1p0gwsqw said:
True Grit Farms":1p0gwsqw said:

Care to elaborate?

I learned a long time ago that you can't beat a man at his game. When I make a turn I just weave a piece of pipe through the holes and pull and staple. I'd like to see a video of why and how you do it that way. I'm always into learning a faster and easier way to do something.

What makes High Tensile net efficient and effective, is the tension. With your technique, it wouldn't ever come close to proper tension. I'll get a video posted so that it'll make more sense, but we will strain over a quarter mile on a regular basis and it will stand up on it's own. I'm talking tight. Tight enough for a full grown man to climb it between posts and it won't touch the ground. The tension that is achieved with HT net surprises most folks. Also, hard stapling is a bit of a no no for us. It's hard on the galvanized coating, kinks wire, and doesn't have enough holding power for HT anyhow. Any wire fence should be free to move under the staple, or it will essentially be ineffective in absorbing impacts. The cost effective part of HT net with a solid vertical stay is the ability to space line posts out. 25' works well in most applications. We are playing with 50' spacing on a test farm, but it's way to soon to recommend it.
Hopefully that description is helpful.

callmefence":5fz6sbqs said:
Used this for the first time last week. After seeing a utility contractor use it for a pole. I thought it worked pretty well and I'm going to keep a couple of bags in each truck. About equal to a 80 pound bag of concrete. I wouldn't build a fence with it at 10.00 a pop but handy for repairs. No water needed sets up in a few minutes.
fence
do you mix water in your redi mix when setting pipe post, if there is moister in the ground, or do you just dump the bag in and tap it, to get the voids out, and let it set over night.

True Grit Farms":2x7xylod said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2x7xylod said:
True Grit Farms":2x7xylod said:

Care to elaborate?

Thanks for pitching in farm.
Slick idea, since I'm so hardheaded bout who I'll hire. I'll probably end up out there by myself one day and try that.

I generally just have a labour babysit the wire at the turn. If that's not feasible I'll tie it very loosely to the turn post with fine tie wire. Generally by the time it tightens enough to pull the ties loose. It's tight enough to stand on its one.

Grit you ain't pulling it tight

BRYANT":1kzvfqjj said:
callmefence":1kzvfqjj said:
fence
do you mix water in your redi mix when setting pipe post, if there is moister in the ground, or do you just dump the bag in and tap it, to get the voids out, and let it set over night.

If I'm not driving post which I prefer.

If it's for a customer it's getting mixed. Partly for good pr. I'll admit. And because were going to be building the fence in a timely manner.

Now if I'm going to set post and wait several days. I have no problem mixing in the hole . Pour cement dry, add water and rod it.

I'll use tie wire like that on creosote post quite a bit, since they're pretty slick......when I can find a roll. I set my Dad up with his own truck and entire set of tools, but he still hijacks my chit! I found 5 rolls of tie wire in his rig last week. One of these days I'll have to come down for a Texas brush country fencing lesson. (And maybe a pig killin)

Farm Fence Solutions":295zfjpu said:
I'll use tie wire like that on creosote post quite a bit, since they're pretty slick......when I can find a roll. I set my Dad up with his own truck and entire set of tools, but he still hijacks my chit! I found 5 rolls of tie wire in his rig last week. One of these days I'll have to come down for a Texas brush country fencing lesson. (And maybe a pig killin)

Sounds good. :nod:

Fence, how's fixed knot pull around a pipe corner? We use some pipe, but it's always got guardrail or sucker rod hung on it. I always figured pipe would be a little slicker compared to wood.....

Oh pretty good I guess
You know depends on how long the stretch and how many turnes as to how much you have to help it along. Sometimes on a long pull I'll put to comealongs with wiredogs at the turn. One one top ,one on bottom to help get the slack around the corner.

I've got a deer fence job set, probably gonna pull it before the weekend. I take some pics

Farm Fence Solutions":1ccqdvc7 said:
Fence, how's fixed knot pull around a pipe corner? We use some pipe, but it's always got guardrail or sucker rod hung on it. I always figured pipe would be a little slicker compared to wood.....
Turning the corner with a pair of goldenrod. Maybe 30 degree turn.
Wire is made off on one end and being stretched with two comealongs on other end.
The goldenrod helps the last little bit round the corner. As soon as the wire comes tight upstream. the goldenrods come off. A few more clicks on the comealongs and it's ready to hookup.

True Grit Farms":23z07a38 said:
Why didn't you put the brace in the middle of the pole for a even angled triangle Fenceman?

Good question.
What you are seeing is a portion of new 8 foot fence. The majority of the job is extending a existing four foot fence. Since we are extending the existing braces. We kept the same grade on the diagonal braces. For uniformity.
Looks a little odd I agree. But did save considerable dollars.
Some pics of the extended fence.
Being built, not complete.

Latest posts