Fence post ques.

Help Support CattleToday:

Just curious, in central Texas, is using sand the best?

Hope I am not sealing thread, but newbie trying to learn.

If sand is not best what is? And what do u do different for corners as apposed to line posts?

Thanks

Stepbystep":30zj77jn said:
Just curious, in central Texas, is using sand the best?

Hope I am not sealing thread, but newbie trying to learn.

If sand is not best what is? And what do u do different for corners as apposed to line posts?

Thanks

The best dirt to go back in the hole is what came out... all of it. Corner posts need to be longer and can be a larger diameter. On corners I want pretty close to the same amount that is out of the ground... in the ground.

You can cement pipe or drive it in. Its not as hard IMO... manual labor wise. I set some 4' pipe to run hot wires. They were only 3' in the ground. We tamped just enough dirt in to hold the post. Then put a sack of cement. After it dried we lighty packed the rest of the dirt back. I had to dig some down the side with a backhoe because I was bending the 4" trying to pull them.

We pulled up post... or dug up I should say... corner posts my dad and uncles set 30+ years ago. They were monster cedar posts and had over 6' of post in the ground. That was done with a hand digger. There is no crying when building fence when you have that as your standard.

Latest posts