feeding rate of alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
i Have supplemented my cows with alfalfa (10 lbs per head a day) but I have never used it as the sole source for hay consumption. What do you guys that feed alfalfa figure as a feeding rate for your herd. I found some alfalfa in kansas and am going to have about 75 tons shipped in. I was wondering how much you feed the cows if that is all the grass they get.

Almost time for another check on the girls, plb, so I'll have to make a quick guesstimate here.

I think my cows are roughly consuming about 33lbs of mostly alfalfa mix hay per head per day currently...but it's close to -25C again with another -30C windchill; we had a huge dump of snow today; and I've got some lactating cows as well as heavy breds in that equation.

Here's a quick link for more info:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... ll/faq7811

Take care and congrats on getting a line on some good hay.

if your only feeding alalfa 15lbs is the max id feed.an thats 17% protine.wich will carry a cow though winter,w/o much more supplement at all.

We're feeding ours about 9-10 lbs per day. They are also getting about 25 lbs of brome and/or OG hay.

When we have to supplement with alfalfa I'm fairly certain it's at the rate of 30 lbs/head per day but it tends to be quite a bit colder here than where you are.

Depends on the hay test, if your getting 75 tons, you should get it tested. My cows usually get around 17 lbs/day of 53 TDN hay. Have gone as low as 12lbs of really hot (60+ TDN) but a guy has to be careful doing that. The problem with real high test hay is a small amount can satisfy the nutitional needs of the cow, but she is still hungry, therefore we also free choice feed rice straw. Not much feed value but good roughage, heat, and it gives them something to chew on.

Get a test on it. The universitys usually have a recommendation on how many lbs of what TDN hay you need to feed. I find they are right on or a little conservative. If the hay is real high TDN, find a cheaper source of roughage to blend with it.