feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well we are feeding hay fulltime now.an the cows are sucking the bales down fast eating 8 4 by 6 bales in a week.but its been pretty cold here as well an the herd has increased some.we used to feed 5 by 6 bales an go 7 bales in 7 days.are yalls cows eating more hay this year.

denvermartinfarms":3fw81wa8 said:
My cows are not eating as much. because i don't have enough hay to be giving them any until it snows.
we was doing that last year feeding our cows 2 bales a week an feed during the week.

I'm still grazing on the stockpiled bahia and bermuda pastures. Frost has about knocked it down but I've got enough green left to get to early next week before I start haying.

yall are lucky to have grass left.our rye grass wont be up good till jan.an we have plenty of hay so far.

Got lots of grass here too--dry brown grass. 2--maybe 3 frosts so far and not enough rain to wet my whistle.
My ryegrass looks terrible.
My brother's wheat looks good--I'm thinkin about accidently leaving a gate open......

Haven't fed hay since December of last year and not much in the way of frost as yet. Been fortunate enough to get adequate moisture (more would even be better) so I have good grass in the pastures to rotate through. Until I get a hard killing frost I won't be feeding hay.

Baydog":m4e84ssm said:
I'm still grazing on the stockpiled bahia and bermuda pastures. Frost has about knocked it down but I've got enough green left to get to early next week before I start haying.
Same here

I'm not sure you're actually feeding more hay, or if it just seems that way because you're using smaller bales. We are still grazing corn stalks and will until middle of January.

We've had close to a dozen frosts now. Still on stockpiled cool season grasses, should be good until about Christmas. Went on a big tour yesterday, there aren't a lot of cattle still out, and most are being fed now up here.

mrthomason":1pou34bg said:
How high does Ryegrass need to be before turning cows in?

I try to let it get up @ least 6", but depends on the rainfall and time--I don't like to let them in on it before 5-6 weeks, but way before it gets 'stemy'.

Is the quality of your hay better this year than normal? If so , there's your answer. Most of the time I strived to have hay that was about 9% CP on dry cows. I know that would not work in colder climates. That rate of CP would get you about 3/4lb to 1/2lb of gain a day here in SE Texas. It also would keep the hay consumption in reason. You throw a 14 or 15% bale out there and I have seen bulls eat a 100lbs a day.

We're feeding hay at about a 60% rate compared to a "full" winter feeding. Still have some grass they are nibling on. Planted some wheat back in September that is providing a little pasture as well.

We started feeding a full month earlier in Oklahoma than what I would call "normal"... Hope I have enough hay to last until spring. It might be cutting it close...

weve just now put the cows on full hay.an they are still out grazing some everyday.may put out some protine tubs pretty soon.still have to sort off some calves for the sale.

trying to use up our hay that was stored outside before we use our good stuff in the barn.. wondering what if any the effects of the white mold on our 4 x 4's have on the beefers??? it goes in about 6 inches on the outside...

Latest posts