Feeding Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Not out of grass but started unrolling a roll a day to about 45 head. It's good and dry so I couldn't resist feeding without the mud. 2 weeks until I start grazing the stockpile fescue. Still have another 40 head on grass at another farm. Enough grass there to do until mid January.

Not out of grass but started unrolling a roll a day to about 45 head. It's good and dry so I couldn't resist feeding without the mud. 2 weeks until I start grazing the stockpile fescue. Still have another 40 head on grass at another farm. Enough grass there to do until mid January.
I am chomping at the bit to start grazing again. I have been telling myself to wait til Christmas. Cows are tired of the junk hay we made this year, but they're maintaining. This is my first year with a stockpile and full fledged feeding hay in Fall.

Had to get a neighbors cow off my stockpile earlier this week. Was in there for maybe 36 hours. She was so bloated that she couldn't fit through my slide gate at the corral. Almost broke it trying to push through it. I expected her to have trouble but was fine.

I figure if I don't graze it soon, a neighbors cattle will enjoy it instead of mine. We only have a single hot wire on majority of the perimeter fence. The old barbed wire is on the ground. Amazingly, rarely do animals jump the fence.

Well today is December 20 and as I have done the last few years the cows start on the stockpile fescue today. 21 this morning so gonna wait until after.lunch to turn in. About 2 days worth at a time. Will send pictures later today.

Nice grass Kenny, i am jealous. I am missing my stockpile, feeding hay during bear season is for the birds. This dry fall is sure showing here.

Nice grass Kenny, i am jealous. I am missing my stockpile, feeding hay during bear season is for the birds. This dry fall is sure showing here.
My retirement is eating in on my bear hunting. Somehow I got it in my head that season was open until Jan 8. It closes Jan 1

@kenny thomas Grass looks awesome! I am going to start mine today. Wish my grass looked as good as yours.

Do you fence them out of the previous section when you move them? Or can they back graze? I'm leaning strongly towards stripping it off with no backfence. I'm limited with water points. But I see a lot of mud in the future.

Got some pontificating to do. (Hope I used that work right. Hahaha)

I don't back fence but this paddock is only 4 acres. I will strip it 3 times and then take them out of that area until I start feeding hay. Then will unroll some there.

@kenny thomas this is for you. Apologies for the shittay camera.

This is the half of the farm I broadcast ryegrass and mowed end of August and let grow. You know the weather we've had. Ryegrass is indeed underneath and poking through throughout About 40 percent of the rested ground looks like this.

Hillsides just don't have it. Despite how much I unroll on em each winter. Definitely better than when I started though.

Attachments

• 20211223_140431.jpg
    20211223_140431.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20211223_140421.jpg
    20211223_140421.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20211223_140425.jpg
    20211223_140425.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Latest posts