Feeding cows

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":2cbelt7y said:
plbcattle":2cbelt7y said:
i also stated that if you took those cows to a reputable consignment sale those cattle would bring less. They are also going to be on the lower end of cattle . you will have less in them and can sell them for less. If you were to offer that same animal in an assn sale only on grass, the condition would be way to low, it would take forever or maybe not obtainable at all to get bcs 6.5-8. the carcass data is going to be lower on grass fed beef. To sell a high dollar animal all these things must be met. The to each his own. but to play with the big boys and get big boy money, you have to be an the same field, I;m not saying it;s right but there animals are going to be rollie pollie fat, if yours aren't they get deducted accordingly.

That depends on the breed - Murray Greys are noted for their efficient feed conversion, as well as their ability to finish on grass alone, and their marbling - and we have taken cattle to association sales and done very well, thank you. All of our cattle are BCS 6.5 - 7 (I'm not sure why anyone would want a BCS of 8 when running pairs), so that shoots down that theory as well. Perhaps you might want to spend a little more time researching your facts. Oh, and should you desire proof there are pictures of our cattle posted in the photo gallery.

I use to think all cows or Horses and Mules had to be fat. Lathering lazy horses that were acting stupid showed me my error on this and this site has showed me how much money can be saved in feeding cows.

Now only thing fat on this place is me and one cow that stays fat even on an all fescue diet. :D

aplusmnt":2ftoybd6 said:
msscamp":2ftoybd6 said:
plbcattle":2ftoybd6 said:
i also stated that if you took those cows to a reputable consignment sale those cattle would bring less. They are also going to be on the lower end of cattle . you will have less in them and can sell them for less. If you were to offer that same animal in an assn sale only on grass, the condition would be way to low, it would take forever or maybe not obtainable at all to get bcs 6.5-8. the carcass data is going to be lower on grass fed beef. To sell a high dollar animal all these things must be met. The to each his own. but to play with the big boys and get big boy money, you have to be an the same field, I;m not saying it;s right but there animals are going to be rollie pollie fat, if yours aren't they get deducted accordingly.

That depends on the breed - Murray Greys are noted for their efficient feed conversion, as well as their ability to finish on grass alone, and their marbling - and we have taken cattle to association sales and done very well, thank you. All of our cattle are BCS 6.5 - 7 (I'm not sure why anyone would want a BCS of 8 when running pairs), so that shoots down that theory as well. Perhaps you might want to spend a little more time researching your facts. Oh, and should you desire proof there are pictures of our cattle posted in the photo gallery.

I use to think all cows or Horses and Mules had to be fat. Lathering lazy horses that were acting stupid showed me my error on this and this site has showed me how much money can be saved in feeding cows.

Now only thing fat on this place is me and one cow that stays fat even on an all fescue diet. :D

Yep, that will do it! It's a common mistake, and one I've also made. I learned that lesson the hard way the summer Dad turned me loose with feeding the cows. Dang those cows looked good but, come calving time, that fat was not a good thing - I don't think we have ever pulled so many calves - although we came close a couple of years ago when I insisted that we corral the 2 year olds (so I could watch them) until they had calved. I think I was about 16 or 17 at the time of the first mistake, and plenty old enough and smart enough to know better at the time of the second mistake. :oops: Now we simply check the 2 year olds daily, and they go in the corral when they are getting close. I rarely make the same mistake twice - I'm too busy making new ones! ;-) :lol: :lol:

msscamp":pogug00k said:
I rarely make the same mistake twice - I'm too busy making new ones! ;-) :lol: :lol:

Never avoid the opportunity to make a mistake!

dun

dun":1vdzk0g2 said:
msscamp":1vdzk0g2 said:
I rarely make the same mistake twice - I'm too busy making new ones! ;-) :lol: :lol:

dun

Dun you getting any of that lightening in your avatar currently? We had a bunch here from 9 p.m. lights were going out all over, Joplin MO had no street lights in part of town. still raining here at 3:00 a.m. I keep going out to walk in the rain so I know it is not a dream.

aplusmnt":1t8utgn0 said:
dun":1t8utgn0 said:
msscamp":1t8utgn0 said:

dun

Dun you getting any of that lightening in your avatar currently? We had a bunch here from 9 p.m. lights were going out all over, Joplin MO had no street lights in part of town. still raining here at 3:00 a.m. I keep going out to walk in the rain so I know it is not a dream.

Thursday morning we got a couple of hours of it and a little rain. Since then just off and on showers with no pyrotechnics to go with it. But it is fun to sit on the back porch and watch the light show all the way down to AR.

dun

dun":3m25abnv said:
Crowderfarms":3m25abnv said:
this one we'll de-bait til the Cows come home.

Why bother? No one is going to change their mind and it's a waste of energy to get so steamed up about something that isn;t going to change. Why not just let the thread die a semi-dignified death?

dun

Yah,Why doesn't someone post a topic on something interesting.Maybe some photos of some cattle. And Get back to talking cattle. :idea:

There's a new thread on the coffee shop titled arguments about subsidys. Why not take this discussion over there and get this thread back to feeding cows?

dun

The only time I feed grain is in the winter. Last winter I tried to get the heifers by without grain and that didn't work. They always have all the hay they can eat, but I had to supplement with cracked corn 3 times a week. They got 2 - 5 gallon buckets which is approximately 50 lbs, 3 x week for 15 heifers.

The cows got grain about once a week or when it was really cold (which wasn't often-very mild winter) or when snow is on the ground. They did very well.

Although I'm a hobby, wanna be, I want good quality crossbred cows (50% continental, 50% english) that can raise a calf on grass and milk).

Normally, hay goes out in November through March.

I prefer to buy bulls at weaning to 10 months old (mostly I want them to get used to me walking around in the pasture and them used to running with other bulls) and they usually get supplemented at least 3 times a week. It keeps them in good shape because they are busy pushing each other around in the fields.

Correction: I have fed a bucket of grain at different times this summer to treat weepy eyes/pinkeye. I can lean down across from them and squirt it into their eye while they are busy eating out of the feeder. Although I had them all vaccinated for pinkeye, had a culture done and this is branhamella ovis (sheep pinkeye) but the vet is using the culture to get a vaccine made and I'll have it before too long.

Yep.. this subject just keeps coming up and we keep re-arguing it.

It's like so many other topics on these Boards. Everyone has an opinion, and some things work better for others, and some people have different markets for their cattle, etc. etc. It's a FORUM people... no one is right or wrong. Not even Caustic!

TheBullLady":naj3lawt said:
Yep.. this subject just keeps coming up and we keep re-arguing it.

It's like so many other topics on these Boards. Everyone has an opinion, and some things work better for others, and some people have different markets for their cattle, etc. etc. It's a FORUM people... no one is right or wrong. Not even Caustic!

:nod:

Alice

3MR":2es8bjox said:
On another note, is it just me or does anybody else keep picturing Hoss Cartwright sitting at a keyboard typing whenever they read one of CB's post. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Yup.

I gotta tell this story so bear with me. We have a small TV in our "computer room" so I can keeps tabs on a ball game or breaking news or whatever while I'm pecking away at the keyboard. Anyway, awhile back I'm reading a very entertaining go 'round between CB and someone about...........I don't remember. TV is muted so I can concentrate. I glance over and guess what's on the tube? Yup. An old Bonanza rerun. Not only that, but Hoss is in the middle of a knock-down, drag-out with some dude over Lord knows what. Weird. I went to bed. :shock:

VanC":29pz5qn1 said:
3MR":29pz5qn1 said:
On another note, is it just me or does anybody else keep picturing Hoss Cartwright sitting at a keyboard typing whenever they read one of CB's post. :lol: :lol:

I gotta tell this story so bear with me. We have a small TV in our "computer room" so I can keeps tabs on a ball game or breaking news or whatever while I'm pecking away at the keyboard. Anyway, awhile back I'm reading a very entertaining go 'round between CB and someone about...........I don't remember. TV is muted so I can concentrate. I glance over and guess what's on the tube? Yup. An old Bonanza rerun. Not only that, but Hoss is in the middle of a knock-down, drag-out with some dude over Lord knows what. Weird. I went to bed. :shock:

Toooo bizarre! And, tooooo funny!

Alice

3MR":l1dputx8 said:
computercowboy.gif

VanC":21cak3cc said:
3MR":21cak3cc said:

To funny! :D

I always thought Hoss was a little old to be still living at his dads house, wonder if that would have been Welfare or a Subsidy? :D

dun":13295r3k said:
msscamp":13295r3k said:

dun

The best learning tool there is! ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

aplusmnt":1txd18ue said:
I always thought Hoss was a little old to be still living at his dads house, wonder if that would have been Welfare or a Subsidy? :D

:lol: :lol: Come to think of it, were Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe Ben's natural children or were they adopted? And who the heck was Big Joe? And why were there never any wives or girlfriends, at least that I can remember? Do you think maybe Bonanza is where they got the idea for Broke................................NAH!!

BTW- if post hijacking were a crime I'd be in a lot of trouble. Sorry.

VanC":2j4kkf0q said:
3MR":2j4kkf0q said:

3MR, Nope.

VanC, ya' really need to turn the volume up on that TV of yours cause least on the Bonanza I remember Hoss and CB are about as opposite as you can get.

Now if ol' CB were to change his avatar to Festus from Gunsmoke that would make some dang good sense! Festus tells it like it is, pulls no punches, and rides a mule! Sound familiar ;-) !

J

BTW- Dang CB, how you did it that fast I'll never know!! It fits but we may need to have a poll started to see which folks like better. My vote is for Festus!

EIEIO":d9ubero3 said:
Now if ol' CB were to change his avatar to Festus from Gunsmoke that would make some dang good sense! Festus tells it like it is, pulls no punches, and rides a mule! Sound familiar ;-) !

J

Ask and ye shall receive. :D

VanC":22w3j1y4 said:
aplusmnt":22w3j1y4 said:

:lol: :lol: Come to think of it, were Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe Ben's natural children or were they adopted? And who the heck was Big Joe? And why were there never any wives or girlfriends, at least that I can remember? Do you think maybe Bonanza is where they got the idea for Broke................................NAH!!

BTW- if post hijacking were a crime I'd be in a lot of trouble. Sorry.

Was kind of a funny family arrangement they all had. Now little Joe he always had him a girl, but he did seem a little different than they other three. I wonder were that Chinese cook came into play in the whole thing? ;-) :D