Feeding cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
After reading several threads it is apparent that many of you think the way to grow cattle is through your local feed store or TSC.

To quote a Cattleman Craig ''if the cow I own can't raise and grow off a calf and maintain weight on my grass or hay, I am changing the cow not the grass"

This is true wisdom of how a cattle operation should be run.

Craig is very wise CB. Anyone that runs cattle to make a dollar knows that Craig is dead on.

But someone has to keep food on the table for guys like Crowder.

Where the heck is Craig anyhow, I miss him.

Muratic":3g8qdt61 said:
Craig is very wise CB. Anyone that runs cattle to make a dollar knows that Craig is dead on.

But someone has to keep food on the table for guys like Crowder.

Where the heck is Craig anyhow, I miss him.

Talked to him about a month ago drought is putting the hurt on them . But if anyone can make it through a drought like this one I would put my money on Craig.

There is a very distinct difference between a feedlot operation and a cow calf operation. You seem to think feeding grain to cattle is a loser everytime and I believe the opposite. You believe grass is the only way to feed cattle and I believe the opposite. My guess is you have never operated a feedlot in southern MN. Just as I have never run a cow calf operation in East Texas. You feed your cows grass and I will feed my cattle grain. It actually has less to do about preference than it is about the region of country each of us are in.

somn":3840d5kw said:
It actually has less to do about preference than it is about the region of country each of us are in.

Are you sure? When I was in East Tx I didn't see near the corn and oats growing as I did when I visited the mid west. I think availability of the grain has a lot to do with cost of the grain which works out to feeding what is easy and available.

Which goes back to Craig's comment.

Not wanting to speak for Caustic, but I believe that he meant a cow calf operation fed from a sack is a losing proposition.

I agree totally. How could someone possibly feed a cow the "sack" and not come out deep in red?

I can understand feedlots, but I am specifically referring to cow/calfers.

somn":ltststzl said:
There is a very distinct difference between a feedlot operation and a cow calf operation. You seem to think feeding grain to cattle is a loser everytime and I believe the opposite. You believe grass is the only way to feed cattle and I believe the opposite. My guess is you have never operated a feedlot in southern MN. Just as I have never run a cow calf operation in East Texas. You feed your cows grass and I will feed my cattle grain. It actually has less to do about preference than it is about the region of country each of us are in.

I don't think it has much at all to do with region because every region appears to produce quality grass (at least from the posts on here from all over our country and a few others, besides) but a feed lot situation is a lot different than raising pairs. Feed lots rarely have the grass(and even if they did, it would take to long to feed out the animals), so feeding is a vastly different thing. I also think preferance does play a large part, because a lot of people don't understand that cattle were designed to eat grass, and do quite well on it, and they feel like they are not doing all they can if they don't supplement with grain, and then there are the people who don't believe their cattle are healthy unless they are butter fat. With the exception of the feedlot situation, calves, and possibly two year old heifers - I honestly believe grain is simply added expense that is not needed. Just my observations and experience.

cypressfarms":2usho4c2 said:
Not wanting to speak for Caustic, but I believe that he meant a cow calf operation fed from a sack is a losing proposition.

I agree totally. How could someone possibly feed a cow the "sack" and not come out deep in red?

I can understand feedlots, but I am specifically referring to cow/calfers.

Maybe but on another post he was talking about bull calves.

msscamp
How many acres of pasture will it take to feed out a steer from 400 pounds to 1500 pounds?

somn":yz18ythi said:
msscamp
How many acres of pasture will it take to feed out a steer from 400 pounds to 1500 pounds?

It doesn't matter how many acres a feedlot has, it won't happen in a timely manner and we both know that. I'm thinking I didn't phrase my response correctly - again. :oops: :roll:

PS I think I see the problem, and have corrected it.

Have to agree. When I first started reading these boards, all the talk about sweet feed, tubs, loose feed, etc, etc got me wondering what I was doing wrong. One look at the cows convinced me that grass was doing the job just fine. I've been known to supplement a light group of heifers or light pairs, but I supplement with alfalfa that the hay crew has somehow managed to screw up, and that doesn't happen very often. In this area anyway if a cow has enough grass she can get to, she will do just fine.

Wife wanted to try feeding some cob to a steer couple of winters ago to fatten it up a bit before we butchered. The cost of that stuff could break anyone in no time, and she was just feeding a coffe can a day for a couple months. I thought the beef was no good anyway, dang fat was white, not yellow like a good grass finished steer. How anyone could afford to even feed a little to a commercial cow is beyond me.

I guess I will have to take some pictures of some desert cows and what they eat, all spring and summer. Might take 50-60 acres or more to feed a pair, but they do it just fine with no extra feeds. Mostly rocks, a little dirt and sagebrush. Cows do good as long as they don't have to walk to far to water.

Quick question, if I can buy a good ration for $130 a ton, you feed 5lbs a day that's only around $10 a month. How is that so bad. If I am lacking the grass I will feed, and I save on my hay bill by feeding a little extra to the calves. I figure I will either feed more of one and less of the other, or the other way around.

oakcreekfarms":2we4bvwx said:
Quick question, if I can buy a good ration for $130 a ton, you feed 5lbs a day that's only around $10 a month. How is that so bad. If I am lacking the grass I will feed, and I save on my hay bill by feeding a little extra to the calves. I figure I will either feed more of one and less of the other, or the other way around.

Weaned calves or are you creep feeding calves?

oakcreekfarms":3gwmkgcy said:

$120.00 extra a year cost on a cow cuts pretty deep into the profit possibilities of that cow.

I will second Msscamp and Cypress.

Ps. Cypress you seem to have a good job talking for CB it was the same point I got from his comment. Maybe you can fill in for him on while he is out cutting hay ;-)

Caustic Burno":22xhjeq8 said:
After reading several threads it is apparent that many of you think the way to grow cattle is through your local feed store or TSC.

To quote a Cattleman Craig ''if the cow I own can't raise and grow off a calf and maintain weight on my grass or hay, I am changing the cow not the grass"

This is true wisdom of how a cattle operation should be run.

There you go CB, Startin' propaganda and cuttin' into my profits.Fortunately not all our customers have computers and did not see what you wrote. :lol:

The fact of the matter remains that cattle are grass/forage eaters and that's what they're meant to survive on. Humans have toyed with the genetics in a way that has created animals that require feed from a sack to grow/maintain their body condition. We are also the ones who created the artificial feedlot situation.
That's not to say that limited grain is not a viable option when forage is in short supply, but I don't believe it's a profitable way to run cattle (especially a cow/calf operation) for any prolonged length of time. JMO

oakcreekfarms":3fq0bv4m said:

It's all about controlling cost on the front end you spend 10 dollars a month over 6 months I spend nothing and hold the calf an extra month on grass and pocket 70 more dollars.

You also have to consider time and equipment maintenance costs. When the drought isn't killing us, feeding the cows pasture grass takes no time. When you have to haul feed or pay for equipment to store, you have to consider your fuel costs, feral hogs getting into the feeders etc.

It all costs extra nickels, takes time, and cuts into profits.

Our cows make it on grass, alfalfa hay and greenfeed. Other than the replacement heifers and a few 2 year olds or old cows we don't feed grain. They make it on forage whether it is -40 or +40 (Celsius). We manage to get 600 lb calves off these same cows too :shock: :lol: :lol: