Feeding bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts said:

This lil guy was fed well...
The brahma influence has a more defined structure I think.
I bet yours breeds just fine!

These are Brahman and F1 bulls on grass... no feed. It's not the Brahman giving that bull that look... its poor genetics. He should be wearing hamburger buns... not a halter.

He is very angular....

Is he consuming enough good hay....protien etc..... if his rumen fills he would be more rounded

Brute 23 said:
MurraysMutts said:

This lil guy was fed well...
The brahma influence has a more defined structure I think.
I bet yours breeds just fine!

These are Brahman and F1 bulls on grass... no feed. It's not the Brahman giving that bull that look... its poor genetics. He should be wearing hamburger buns... not a halter.

Posted pics of him in thread when I first got him brute

Well looks to me like that's just how hes built.
A lil thin maybe....

If his calves do well, who cares!

Unless u plan on retaining animals, they will never make it to 3 years anyway. Be food long b4 then

I don't want to knock another persons cattle because at the end of the day your cutting the checks so you can do what ever you want. IMO though, just based off the pics of some of the females you have bought recently and the pics of the bull, that bull is not going to advance you operation.

It can be a hard pill to swallow but go to one of these well known breeders like Genetrust or some of the others and get you a good, registered, Brangus, Angus+, or Angus bull. You won't regret it. Those bulls even have value on the resale. If you get some good heifers out of a $3-5K Genetrust bull and need to rotate him out in a couple years you should should have no problem getting 50%, or probably better, of your money back selling him private treaty.

... and I would not get any more that 3/8 Brahman on what ever you buy based on how much Brahman influence your cattle already have. Go for quality and hardy cattle, not just more Brahman influence.

That my .02 :tiphat:

Brute 23 said:
I don't want to knock another persons cattle because at the end of the day your cutting the checks so you can do what ever you want. IMO though, just based off the pics of some of the females you have bought recently and the pics of the bull, that bull is not going to advance you operation.

It can be a hard pill to swallow but go to one of these well known breeders like Genetrust or some of the others and get you a good, registered, Brangus, Angus+, or Angus bull. You won't regret it. Those bulls even have value on the resale. If you get some good heifers out of a $3-5K Genetrust bull and need to rotate him out in a couple years you should should have no problem getting 50%, or probably better, of your money back selling him private treaty.

... and I would not get any more that 3/8 Brahman on what ever you buy based on how much Brahman influence your cattle already have. Go for quality and hardy cattle, not just more Brahman influence.

That my .02 :tiphat:

I'm going to send you a pm

MurraysMutts said:
Well looks
to me like that's just how hes built.
A lil thin maybe....

If his calves do well, who cares!

Unless u plan on retaining animals, they will never make it to 3 years anyway. Be food long b4 then

I have a steer that was built like a tank when I got him, in fact, not ideal, as his bones and frame is so big.....anyways....

He has turned out to be a shortass, and he is is also kinda angular at times, he eats like a hoover compared to all the others that nibble, but he has not really done well compared to all others with him of which most are heifers...he would be a score or two below at a guess. At least his height now means the frame looks evened out.

I think I could throw anything and any feed at him, but basically, it would be a waste, he is what he is I guess, bit disappointing cause I have physically hand fed him a lot of his life & he has a great disposition, but, yeah.......my hard work is def better rewarded elsewhere...

PS not saying yours is same OP, and I do think he was sold to me knowing he would be smaller.

Latest posts