Favorite Shotgun

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Well its that time of year just curious what's your favorite scatter gun to hunt with.
Nine times out of ten I grab a Model 1897 Winchester Trap model in 12 Guage or a Winchester Model 1912 in 16 guage.

I usually take may Ithaca M37 12 gauge for deer. It's an old police model with full choke and short barrel.

Browning Pumps (BPS) with bottom eject with no pistol grip. The straight stock just feels better to me.

22" inch barrels and lots of different chokes.

I have some Win Model 12's (12 and 20 gauge) but prefer the Brownings.

Bet 16 gauge shells are pricey now, huh?

For civilized hunting conditions I use a Weatherby Athena Grade IV 20 gauge. For everything else I use an old well worn and repaired Winchester 1200 12 gauge.

dun

Just an aside note. The older M37 has a interesting feature in that it will fire as long as you hold the trigger and work the action. It wouldn't be effective for hunting animals I would expect.

Edited...

*** Do not try this at home. This feature was discontinued at some time and any attempt my be hazerdest to your health or those around you. Impoper function my result in death****

Wewild":31xg9bod said:
I usually take may Ithaca M37 12 gauge for deer. It's an old police model with full choke and short barrel.

The two old shotguns I listed have put more than a 100 deer in the freezer through the years. M97 30 inch full M12 28 inch full choke. I prefer to deer hunt slipping through the woods. I just never could see sitting in a stand with a feeder shooting one at a 100 yards or further very sporting,

Wewild":1xiz79kj said:
The older M37 has a interesting feature in that it will fire as long as you hold the trigger and work the action. It wouldn't be effective for hunting animals I would expect.

Win Model 12's do that also.

Didn't know until a few years ago that John Browning held several patents on the Model 37, Dang good gun.

Crowderfarms":1l6vhqp2 said:
It's a toss up between a Browning Sweet 16 and One of my many Model 11 Remingtons.

Fine shotguns I have several you just have to pull a red wagon to tote the dang heavy things, they weigh 50 pounds by the end of the day.

Caustic Burno":20neoa7l said:
Wewild":20neoa7l said:

The two old shotguns I listed have put more than a 100 deer in the freezer through the years. M97 30 inch full M12 28 inch full choke. I prefer to deer hunt slipping through the woods. I just never could see sitting in a stand with a feeder shooting one at a 100 yards or further very sporting,

We don't get hundred yard shots in the woods here either. I like both your choices.

I can't come close to your tally.

MikeC":lc6fkutt said:
Wewild":lc6fkutt said:
The older M37 has a interesting feature in that it will fire as long as you hold the trigger and work the action. It wouldn't be effective for hunting animals I would expect.

Didn't know until a few years ago that John Browning held several patents on the Model 37, Dang good gun.

I didn't know the Model 12's would do that.

Thanks. I will try it. You ain't trying to get me killed are you?

Wewild":2vqwa4ww said:
MikeC":2vqwa4ww said:
Wewild":2vqwa4ww said:

Not at all. Try it without shells first.

Wewild":2sqayvfy said:
MikeC":2sqayvfy said:
Wewild":2sqayvfy said:

No all the old Browning patents would M97 M12 both will.
Just think about all the old guns browning gave us in Remungton, Winchester, Browning, Savage, Ithaca.

MikeC":1e5wpzis said:
Wewild":1e5wpzis said:
MikeC":1e5wpzis said:
Wewild":1e5wpzis said:

We might want to add that .. I think Ithaca stopped this feature in 1990 and I have no info on Winchester.

Don't try this at home for the other readers.

Edited...

*** Do not try this at home. This feature was discontinued at some time and any attempt my be hazerdest to your health or those around you. Impoper function my result in death****

Caustic Burno":9uqigumg said:
No all the old Browning patents would M97 M12 both will.
Just think about all the old guns browning gave us in Remungton, Winchester, Browning, Savage, Ithaca.

He was the man.

I've always liked my 12 ga Winchester 1200.

Geese, ducks, turkeys, squirrels, deer, bear, you name it and it gets it done year after year.

I have a new ruger side by side 12 guage that I think alot of.
2, in case one breaks, browning a-5 3 inch magnums. I really like the a-5 except for the forearm which seems to crack on most of these shotguns.
I have a model 12 heavy duck and a model 12 16 guage both excellent.
Winchester 12 guage with a fiberglass barrel.

Wewild":2twsjx9m said:
MikeC":2twsjx9m said:
MikeC":2twsjx9m said:

We might want to add that .. I think Ithaca stopped this feature in 1990 and I have no info on Winchester.

Don't try this at home for the other readers.

Edited...

Ithaca's book on the history of the Model 37 states they stopped the slam fire feature in the mid 70's on commercial models. My early 70's model still has the feature. It'll throw lead. Use my Model 87 when I need to use 3 inch shells.

Latest posts