"Buy A Shotgun"

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":mothtfqf said:
snake67":mothtfqf said:
Does not matter what you are shooting - pistol, shotgun, rifle - if you have never pulled the trigger in a closed-in room - you are in for a serious wake up call. Be ready for this if you have to use something in doors. Sounds easy but it is not. And the first shot is simple - some find it extremely difficult to take pain and make that second shot due to what happened to them when they pulled the first time.

Just saying .....

Best to all

Bez

One going off in the cab of 1972 Chevy pickup is pretty rough as well.
It is not good for the roof, back window and will leave the truck driverless .
Hearing will return in about a month I am told.

Actually, it MIGHT return in a month. Have been there quite a few times - because of explosion and gunfire induced tinitus, I now hear machine guns all day and all night long in my head along with the ocaissional explosion so I am getting to the point I will be about useless and kicked out of my job pretty soon.

Next time you see a shoot-out in a room at a movie or on TV - and the hero has some great sex and a nice lunch just a few minutes after - remember this. He actually would be cleaning the blood out of his ears and crying about how bad it hurts.

Got to love Hollywod and the "gangsta's" - so phony and yet the general public eats it up as gospel.

Shotgun is great at close range - number 4 shot is my personal favourite - works great out to about 40 feet - and that is a big room. Not too much follows through into other rooms. You need the room to use it - takes up a lot of space.

Pistol is great if you know how to use it - most will miss more than 50% of the time - even inside 10 feet if they are scared - and if you have not been scared you will not believe my comment. Those who use it for home defence - in my opinion - need to practise at inside 10 feet all day long - and I do mean all day long - standing, sitting, lying down, rolling, jumping, one handed, two handed, wrong handed and anything else you can think of. Anyone can pound the centre of a target standing and braced. Try hard running on the spot for 5 minutes before using your pistol - because you WILL be breathing like that if it is real.

Rifle is great if you are not worried about penetration of walls after it exits the target. You need the room to use it - takes up a lot of space.

Soft targets - no armour and it works about like this with ball ammunition:

If memory serves a 5.56 will penetrate the equivalent of 9 people staked tight together back to front in a row. A nine mil will do about 5 maybe 6 depending upon the load and the round being fired.

There is no perfect firearm to use in home defence in my opinion - other than the one you are comfortable with.

As for Biden and Hussein - well, if they were broken down on a snowy northern highway I am pretty sure i would not be interested in even stopping to help them.

I am out of this one - do not need to get too involved here - my best to all.

Cheers

Bez

Agree with everything you've said Bez. Many years ago I made the (very conscious) decision that I was willing to kill to defend myself or my loved ones. I know that sounds kinda weird, but I feel it's a decision that needs to be made and committed to ahead of time. Once that decision was made, I took my training very seriously. Including shooting without hearing protection, both indoors and out, so I would know what to expect. I rarely shoot beyond 20 feet, usually within 10. Have been hit by a couple of ricochets but nothing serious. I'm still not very good at left hand shooting, and after 25 years of practicing I accept I probably never will be.

Bez in no way will 99% ever see what you have seen.
I for appreciate your effort's and sacrifice for my family.
I won't go into detail but, you are dead on about the shotgun.

Hollywood makes killing look like fun and games. And like bez said they shoot hundreds of rounds in a confined area and doesn't faze them.

A long time ago when I was dumber, I was shooting at a snake with my .357 right behind a large bulldozer. With no ear muffs.
I thought it was loaded with just .38s, but the last one was a 357. When it went off, it felt like a giant had slapped me on both ears, I got an instant headache and actually got sick to my stomach.

The ears never did come back to normal and that has been 20 years. Missed the snake 6 times......

I'm deaf in the common voice range, it is embarrassing to ask people to repeat themselves a 100 times, and if there is music or a busy place, forget it. I just smile a lot. Its partly due to heavy equipment and partly due to guns.

I have been inside once when someone discharged a handgun. It was a little loud but was also a smaller caliber. The shock of it got me more than anything. The 30-06 going off a couple feet away even with my ear is something I haven't forgotten. I hear a constant ringing.

Commercialfarmer":2kttr2x5 said:
I'm deaf in the common voice range, it is embarrassing to ask people to repeat themselves a 100 times, and if there is music or a busy place, forget it. I just smile a lot. Its partly due to heavy equipment and partly due to guns.

I have been inside once when someone discharged a handgun. It was a little loud but was also a smaller caliber. The shock of it got me more than anything. The 30-06 going off a couple feet away even with my ear is something I haven't forgotten. I hear a constant ringing.
Same here, I blame a old blue xl-12 Homelite, too many gunshots and Pink Floyd in that order. I run a noise machine at night to cover the constant ringing

A short barreled 18" or more double barrel shotgun has always been what I recommended to people-- especially those that had not grown up with a lifetime shooting history around firearms/pistols...

One of the best home defense gun is a double barrel coach gun- in either 20 or 12 gauge depending on who is using it- and how petite the women of the house are...I often prefer the 20 gauge because often the whole family enjoys shooting it more- and the more you shoot and get familiar with the gun, the more dangerous you are to the bad guy...

Easier to learn how to use than a pistol or most semiauto rifles - from first sight they demand a lot more respect than some little pea shooter handgun- still likely to get a good hit in stressful conditions- and if using the right ammo, won't go penetrating 2-3 walls and doors and killing some of your family in another room.....

A tactical instructor I had used to always say that they should of called the shotgun "the gun that won the west" instead of the Winchester- as many more settlers had shotguns than Winchesters..

And there are hundreds available- used or new- at a price that won't come close to costing as much as most the gung ho Chuck Norris wannabe's spend on their supply of clips and attachments to make their assault weapon system... Easily get one for $500..

The only thing I'd add to this would be a sling- and a shell holder on the stock- and you have a perfect home defense gun imo...
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firear ... h-guns.php

My wife is having a major problem getting both the double barrel shotgun and the whistle in her purse. I think for now she is going to stick with her .380....
I don't have any "clips" for my AR but I do have a couple of magazines. I have about $800.00 in my rifle including a laser sight. I think the laser is a major intimidation factor if someone breaks in my house. I would not want that green dot on my chest.

Oldtimer":agv4lbpt said:
A short barreled 18" or more double barrel shotgun has always been what I recommended to people-- especially those that had not grown up with a lifetime shooting history around firearms/pistols...

One of the best home defense gun is a double barrel coach gun- in either 20 or 12 gauge depending on who is using it- and how petite the women of the house are...I often prefer the 20 gauge because often the whole family enjoys shooting it more- and the more you shoot and get familiar with the gun, the more dangerous you are to the bad guy...

Easier to learn how to use than a pistol or most semiauto rifles - from first sight they demand a lot more respect than some little pea shooter handgun- still likely to get a good hit in stressful conditions- and if using the right ammo, won't go penetrating 2-3 walls and doors and killing some of your family in another room.....

A tactical instructor I had used to always say that they should of called the shotgun "the gun that won the west" instead of the Winchester- as many more settlers had shotguns than Winchesters..

And there are hundreds available- used or new- at a price that won't come close to costing as much as most the gung ho Chuck Norris wannabe's spend on their supply of clips and attachments to make their assault weapon system... Easily get one for $500..

The only thing I'd add to this would be a sling- and a shell holder on the stock- and you have a perfect home defense gun imo...
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firear ... h-guns.php

Thank you Mr Vice President!

I second what Bez said. Fear and adrenaline change EVERYTHING from accuracy, thought process, heart rate, vision and even conciousness of what is around you. I have been in those situations and it is VERY difficult to get control of the normal human reaction of finding a spot, any spot, and hide curled up in a ball. Usually after a high stress, fear induced situation nothing ever happens the way you remember it. Practice, practice, practice to develop muscle memory and try and keep the reaction plan simple. Work it out well in your mind on what you will do when faced with a situation. Running out on the porch to fire two shots (emptying you double barrel) in the air will only get you killed.

Shhoting in a concrete building is bad on the ears and head.....very bad. Feels like a concussion.

HOSS":3mtwwqx4 said:
I second what Bez said. Fear and adrenaline change EVERYTHING from accuracy, thought process, heart rate, vision and even conciousness of what is around you. I have been in those situations and it is VERY difficult to get control of the normal human reaction of finding a spot, any spot, and hide curled up in a ball. Usually after a high stress, fear induced situation nothing ever happens the way you remember it. Practice, practice, practice to develop muscle memory and try and keep the reaction plan simple. Work it out well in your mind on what you will do when faced with a situation. Running out on the porch to fire two shots (emptying you double barrel) in the air will only get you killed.

Shhoting in a concrete building is bad on the ears and head.....very bad. Feels like a concussion.

Shot a .480 Ruger out the window of a tin-clad shooting house one time. Thought the muzzle was out the window.......it wasn't! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I swear i saw the sides of the building bulge out from the concussion.It rained dust in there for a couple of minutes

3waycross":3cpi0bf8 said:
HOSS":3cpi0bf8 said:

Shot a .480 Ruger out the window of a tin-clad shooting house one time. Thought the muzzle was out the window.......it wasn't! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I swear i saw the sides of the building bulge out from the concussion.It rained dust in there for a couple of minutes

Try wrestling a suicidal guy over a 30-30 rifle in the cab of a pickup- and having the rifle go off a few inches from your ear- luckily just blowing a hole in the top of the cab... :shock:
Lost a lot of hearing range and got Tinnitus with that one... ;-)

quote] Backhoe Boogie

Yes. But I had no idea. Got several shotguns.

Got several pre-64 winchesters too but my eyes don't let me bounce cans at 100 yards with open sights any more. Can't even see the back sight. Gonna teach the grandkids how to use those sights one day and pass them on.

CB I mostly shoot an over under modern day LC Smith. It was a gift. I picked up one at the gunsmith shop a few years back. I threw it up and the sights landed perfectly on what I was looking at. They priced it. I handed it back to them. I unwrapped one on my 50th birthday. No way I would have paid their price.

I also shoot the old winchester pump. Got a fancy auto but every time I squeeze off a shot I try to pump it - old habits. Plus it does not throw up in place like the winchester or the LC Smith.

Got my great grandaddy's LC Smith with damascus barrells. It is a double barrel 32 inch side by side full choke goose gun that came out of the south-east TX rice fields. Will never shoot it.

Got several 20's I have picked up through the years for my daughters and wife to shoot.

If anyone was selling a decent shotgun for a decent price, I bought it over the last few decades. These things seem to be gold mines now.[/quote]

These guy's make a sweet side by side.
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/bobwhit ... -hardened/

Latest posts