Favorite handgun?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
First,

Hi everyone! As usual, I've been off the boards for too long, with no good reason :(

I've discovered the wonderful world of Smith and Wesson revolvers, and wondered what other people's favorite handgun was and why..... My son and I shoot weekly in the back pasture now (can't have enough ways spend father/son time)

Any favorites out there?

There is only one 1911 45ACP we conquered the world with it twice.
Marine uncle that fought in the South Pacific bought me my first one from an Army Navy store and taught me to shoot it.

TennesseeTuxedo":2cwx4it2 said:
I love all my S&W revolvers.

44 Special, 41 Mag, and 357 Mag

Sell the 44 and 41. Use the money to buy a Model 29. 44 Mag. Never saw much point in a 41 Mag. Plus, you can pretend you are Dirty Harry.

Now, do you feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?

I am a fan of wheel guns and have several. It would be a toss up between my Ruger 45LC or my 44mag model 29.
However having said this my usual carry is a 9MM Makarov. Nice and compact and does what I need it to do.

Cal

I have several handguns that are all special to me in one way or another, but if I had to list my favorite it would have to be my Kimber 45 ACP. Ever since I was 18 yrs old and held my first Kimber, I told myself that one day I would own one. There is just something about its slim design (single stack) that just seems to fit perfectly in my big ol hand. I now have two Kimbers and both of them are out of their Custom Shop.

Calman":n26o8r26 said:
I am a fan of wheel guns and have several. It would be a toss up between my Ruger 45LC or my 44mag model 29.
However having said this my usual carry is a 9MM Makarov. Nice and compact and does what I need it to do.

Cal

In close quarter battle (multiple targets), The 1911 has fire power, easy to reload and in 45 ACP is formidable. The balance and shootability of a 1911 is outstanding.

Under a couple of conditions, I might prefer my Ruger Super Blackhawk. 44 magnum revolver. Reliability, simplicity and the capacity to handle heavy loads favors the wheel. In defense of home where the targets are one or two, I like the power factor. With proper loads, a .44 magnum is capable of limiting the defensive positions an intruder might employ, i.e., hiding behind a partition wall. Hail to the wheel gun.

Nice, I love all the power in everyone's post (sorry TC)! When my father died I inherited his .38, but didn't think much of it. Then I shot it. That revolver is so smooth. I found out it was a mid 1920's M&P model .38 special. My son likes that gun. I've since bought myself a model 686 plus (7 shot), smith & Wesson .357 magnum. I'll add this pistol to the growing group of guns passed down, but this one will be from me. I'm quickly becoming a revolver fan.

My favorite is probably my Glock 21 .45ACP. Beretta Nano 9mm second.

Always wanted a Kimber 1911 (or any 1911 for that matter) Have a feeling that it would be my new favorite.

inyati13":zdy8g2pu said:
TennesseeTuxedo":zdy8g2pu said:
I love all my S&W revolvers.

44 Special, 41 Mag, and 357 Mag

Sell the 44 and 41. Use the money to buy a Model 29. 44 Mag. Never saw much point in a 41 Mag. Plus, you can pretend you are Dirty Harry.

Now, do you feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?

I'd rather keep them AND add the 44 Mag.

That would make me feel lucky.

My favorite various by which one I have in hand. Ruger Red Hawk 41 mag, S&W 642, Ruger security-six, Walther TPH, etc. You get the drift. The 642, TPH or a Star Firestar 9mm is most commonly in my pocket, belt holster the Security-Six

Don't care for the 44 mag in a wheel gun too much recoil for quick follow up shots. Love it in my rifles will ball up a hog. My 44 mag reloads are hot 2100 fps out of my rifles.
Have a Model 92 and Ruger Vacquero that I shoot nothing but 44 specials out of both are chambered for mag as well.

I carry a S&W 638 airweight but don't care for shooting it much. It is for carry not shooting. I have probably 75 S&W pistols and most I have never shot and many have never been fired. I really like the 41mag, all the power without the recoil of the 44mag.

My favorite is my SS Ruger single six combo in 22 long rifle or 22 mag. I carry a LCP everyday and sometimes back it up with a S&W Airweight. When the weather permits I carry a 40 caliber Glock.

I like the Browning HP 9mm I have. For concealed it is either the NAA .22 mag or the Kel-tec .380.

kenny thomas":2ucg4qti said:
I carry a S&W 638 airweight but don't care for shooting it much. It is for carry not shooting. I have probably 75 S&W pistols and most I have never shot and many have never been fired. I really like the 41mag, all the power without the recoil of the 44mag.

Loaded down, .44 mag can be comfortable for practice and cowboy shoots. I use 6 grains of W-W 231 and 240 grain lead cast bullets. Less recoil than a .38 special. Only way you can compete in a cowboy shoot. Where some stations require you to hold the trigger back and cycle the cylinder by thumbing the Hammer.

If you need power, use 23 grains of H110 and 240 grain nosler jacketed solid.

In reality, not much difference in .41 and .44 (.429). The public clearly votes the .44 magnum as more popular.

Latest posts