Favorite handgun?

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13":2g20trpu said:
kenny thomas":2g20trpu said:
I carry a S&W 638 airweight but don't care for shooting it much. It is for carry not shooting. I have probably 75 S&W pistols and most I have never shot and many have never been fired. I really like the 41mag, all the power without the recoil of the 44mag.

Loaded down, .44 mag can be comfortable for practice and cowboy shoots. I use 6 grains of W-W 231 and 240 grain lead cast bullets. Less recoil than a .38 special. Only way you can compete in a cowboy shoot. Where some stations require you to hold the trigger back and cycle the cylinder by thumbing the Hammer.

If you need power, use 23 grains of H110 and 240 grain nosler jacketed solid.

In reality, not much difference in .41 and .44 (.429). The public clearly votes the .44 magnum as more popular.

I run 29 grains H110 under 180 grain hollow points.

Caustic Bruno, can I ask what you load with? I shot enough lead to fill lake Erie. Could not have done it without a Dillon Progressive Loader. I spent one night a week doing nothing but loading .45 ACP.

inyati13":1lumxg8r said:
kenny thomas":1lumxg8r said:
I carry a S&W 638 airweight but don't care for shooting it much. It is for carry not shooting. I have probably 75 S&W pistols and most I have never shot and many have never been fired. I really like the 41mag, all the power without the recoil of the 44mag.

Loaded down, .44 mag can be comfortable for practice and cowboy shoots. I use 6 grains of W-W 231 and 240 grain lead cast bullets. Less recoil than a .38 special. Only way you can compete in a cowboy shoot. Where some stations require you to hold the trigger back and cycle the cylinder by thumbing the Hammer.

If you need power, use 23 grains of H110 and 240 grain nosler jacketed solid.

In reality, not much difference in .41 and .44 (.429). The public clearly votes the .44 magnum as more popular.
To lesson the recoil of the Ruger Black-hawk I shoot .44 specials.

JMJ Farms":2z9taraa said:
Always wanted a Kimber 1911 (or any 1911 for that matter) Have a feeling that it would be my new favorite.
My EDC is a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, you'll love it. When I think of it, I'll PM you a couple pics of a 1911 I was given for a gift that you might like drooling over a bit.

I've got a Ruger super Blackhawk somewhere. I guess if I was of a mind to defend myself, it'd be my first choice.

I carry a little snubnosed revolver. It's a little cheapy.

My favorite for just plinking is a single action Heritage Arms 22. Cheap to shoot, and seems accurate.

In reference to the Kimber 1911. I owned four. Sold them. One was out of their Custom Shop. I used the Kimber Custom 1911 when shooting Defensive Pistol in Montana. I was experiencing the occasional FTE and FTF. It is frustrating to be up and shooting a station and everyone watching and your gun goes down. A gentleman who taught defensive pistol, told me I have two choices, 1. Deal with the FTF and FTE and enjoy the Kimber, they are not bad. Or 2. Spend the money and get an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or Les Baer. He used Les Baer.

I sold four Kimbers and bought a Wilson Combat 1911 CQB. Knock on wood, it has never failed. I shot Defensive Pistol in Montana for years. Finally, bought a Les Baer target 1911. Knock on wood, never had a FTF or FTE

I have shot thousands of rounds through the Wilson Combat. I used the same ammo in the Kimbers that cycled fine through the Wilson and Baer. I loaded on a Dillon Progressive Loader and my Ammo was excellent quality. So the Kimber issue was not the ammo's fault.

Not knocking Kimber. Very nice guns.

PS: I don't recall - this is 20 years ago now- but I did have a hang-up a couple times due to no powder in a round. The primer will force the bullet into the forcing cone but there is not enough energy to cycle the slide. These type issues affect everyone but are not attributable to the pistol.

For just blowing the crap out of stuff I really like my Desert Eagle in 357 mag

inyati13":pawna5uc said:
In reference to the Kimber 1911. I owned four. Sold them. One was out of their Custom Shop. I used the Kimber Custom 1911 when shooting Defensive Pistol in Montana. I was experiencing the occasional FTE and FTF. It is frustrating to be up and shooting a station and everyone watching and your gun goes down. A gentleman who taught defensive pistol, told me I have two choices, 1. Deal with the FTF and FTE and enjoy the Kimber, they are not bad. Or 2. Spend the money and get an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or Les Baer. He used Les Baer.

I sold four Kimbers and bought a Wilson Combat 1911 CQB. Knock on wood, it has never failed. I shot Defensive Pistol in Montana for years. Finally, bought a Les Baer target 1911. Knock on wood, never had a FTF or FTE

I have shot thousands of rounds through the Wilson Combat. I used the same ammo in the Kimbers that cycled fine through the Wilson and Baer. I loaded on a Dillon Progressive Loader and my Ammo was excellent quality. So the Kimber issue was not the ammo's fault.

Not knocking Kimber. Very nice guns.

PS: I don't recall - this is 20 years ago now- but I did have a hang-up a couple times due to no powder in a round. The primer will force the bullet into the forcing cone but there is not enough energy to cycle the slide. These type issues affect everyone but are not attributable to the pistol.

Marine uncle that saw some rough beach landings in the Pacific wanted a 1911 that was loose. I remember at the Army/Navy store he would reach in the tub full of them pull one out and shake it. If it didn't have some play he said boy this will get you killed in a real fight when your in mud water and sand. Not being the sharpest pencil in the box I figured I would stick with the advice of a guy that landed in the first waves on Guadal Canal, Iwo and Okinawa. Man was Marine sniper and fought in three of the toughest engagements of the war, that is why I don't own a kimber.

My favorite has become the Rock Island I have several that have had the crap shot of them with only spring replacement at routine maintainence intervals. I actually think they are better than my Colts for shtf cause I have abused the heck out of a couple of them never FTF or FTE.

Would anyone mind posting some pictures of their "go to" when the you know what hits the fan?

I'm very interested in the 1911's. I've never owned one

This is a new S&W .357 with figured grips.

cypressfarms":3c60z5ow said:
Would anyone mind posting some pictures of their "go to" when the you know what hits the fan?

I'm very interested in the 1911's. I've never owned one

This is a new S&W .357 with figured grips.

How you been Cresent Wrench?
I will get a pic of my preferred carry for you and it is a Rock.

I assisted Fire Sweep Simmental Owner and CT user in getting her CWP. I recommended a Springfield Armory XD- 40. She bought it in 9 mm Parabellum. Be aware she did not want to spend a lot of money. The XD is a good choice IMO for the money.

She shot my Wilson Combat 1911. See picture below. The whole family shot my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum. She shot it better than the 1911. Even the 23 grains of H110. Their son is 10 and he was able to handle the 44 with mild loads. At the conclusion, I bragged that I could drive one of the tacks holding the target. And I did, first shot. The Gods were smiling on me.
208cpig.jpg

I love my spring field armory 1911. It has sights in it that glow and make it easy to hit the target. My husband put those on it for me :) I bought him a glock a few years back that he really likes. I'm not sure which one but I think it shoots .40. My dad runs a Army Surplus store so I always have access to great deals. I also bought my husband a keltec .38 tiny handgun for self protection it literly fits in his back pocket :) I'll have to get photos of them. Idaho will have permitless concealed carry July 1st!!!

Here when it comes to handguns that's more of my brother's thing than me. But I do have a Taurus .357 revolver that I'll take with me from time to time on the farm. Pretty dang accurate handgun for what it is.

When SHTF you guys and your 1911 pistols are going to lose. Firepower is the name of the game and eight 45 slugs aren't going to match 16+ 9mm or 40S&W slugs. Back in the day of the under powered auto pistols the 45cal 1911 was king. But now a days If I'm threatened by 10 thugs my 40cal Glock will eat them up and still have a few rounds left as reserve.

True Grit Farms":12nmhqg0 said:
When SHTF you guys and your 1911 pistols are going to lose. Firepower is the name of the game and eight 45 slugs aren't going to match 16+ 9mm or 40S&W slugs. Back in the day of the under powered auto pistols the 45cal 1911 was king. But now a days If I'm threatened by 10 thugs my 40cal Glock will eat them up and still have a few rounds left as reserve.

Maybe, but mine will be dead. Yours will get back up and choke you to death.

inyati13":k5tinldw said:
True Grit Farms":k5tinldw said:

Maybe, but mine will be dead. Yours will get back up and choke you to death.

:lol2: :lol:

True Grit Farms":2xjifzxs said:
I can assure you could barely tell between shoots when one mag drops and the new one is shooting