Favorite Cold Remedies

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Got a doozy of a cold right now.
What is your favorite remedy?

Already took some asprin, Airborne, soup, and a steaming hot bath. Been sucking on cough drops all day.

The spoonful of honey is a classic in my family. Other than that when we get a cold up the vitamin C and using peroxide on a q-tip and swabing your nose REALLY helps. The thought is worse than the reality and it WORKS.

-Honey is goood. The raw stuff.
-Oil of oregano is good so my husband says
-echenacia (sp) he takes that as well...more of a preventative
-garlic on a regular basis...father in law does that one...he smells to though...bad...eats it raw on a slice of bread
-when you peal an onion, leave the root end on the counter for a few days. It's suppose to absorb the air born germs
-wash hands wash hands and again i say wash hands
-sneeze/ cough into your shirt sleeve or a klenex to prevent the spread of germs and again wash hands.

Angus Cowman":2bkfps0n said:
2parts good whiskey 1 part hot water 1tsp honey 1tsp lemon juice awww what the heck forget that just drink the whiskey and you won't care if you have a cold
hope you feel better ILH

Hot toddies are good for you.. :nod:

Hubby swears by sambuca when he has a cold. I think he kills the cold in him from the amount consumed.. :lol2:

I like to put vicks on my chest and around my nose and tonnes of cough drops,,,then just work through it .Ugh, hate having a cold I hope you feel better soon ILH.

RR yes ,wash ,wash ,wash..I am boycotting Mr. HD's Christmas party this year because of all the hand shaking and contact and someone always shows up with a cold YUCK....I always get sick a week later and am not doing that this year No Way..... :help:

A table spoon of apple cider vineger twice a day will take care of a sore throat and any desire to get sick again. :D

Nyquill, the coughing, sneezing, runny nose, fever, wake up on the kitchen floor medicine.

I don't get sick a lot. I think that working with people for years has given me the iron clad immune system. I do get tonsil problems about once a year.

Wash your hands. And in public restrooms, use the paper towel to turn off the water and open the door. Otherwise you get the germs on your hands again. Door handles are nastier than toilet seats. Think about it.

If I begin to get congested and the flim begins to look greenish I know I'm fixing to get a nasal infection so I begin my treatment with 5-way calf scour boluses along with Zicam to keep my head cleared. I can't afford to be sick and haven't been sick since I began using this treatment to ward it off. (I know many of you will think this wrong but the way I see it, tetracycline is tetracycline)

Haven't had a cold in years, now sinus infections are a different story. Managed to get by this year I guess because I wasn't baling hay. A little Grand Marnier does make a sore throat feel better.

For the sore throat i use a dose of liquid Benadryl and an equal part of Mylanta-- Gargle as long as you can. Either spit it out or swallow it . Benadryl makes me sleepy so I spit.

The last time I had a cold I just lay on the couch and whined and my wife waited on me hand and foot.

dun":9srjxdzh said:
The last time I had a cold I just lay on the couch and whined and my wife waited on me hand and foot.
That sounds a bit like bragging..... or a half truth. :p :lol2:

I tend to go along with the whiskey. I prefer Vodka myself, (two shots) in a small glass of orange juice. Don't know if it's the the Vodka or vitamin C in the orange juice but it sure works for me. Oh, repeat every two hours until you pass out.

Hope you get to feeling better.

whiskey works wonders.you can mix it with some pure honey an sugar an drink it down.but be warned it wont stop a sinus cough.

bigbull338":1n4yqwxw said:
whiskey works wonders.you can mix it with some pure honey an sugar an drink it down.but be warned it wont stop a sinus cough.

If you drink enough of it, the cough won't matter...

Cough, take Exlax. Doesn't cure anything, but you'll be darn scared to cough. :roll:

Angus Cowman":3n7yxo93 said:
2parts good whiskey 1 part hot water 1tsp honey 1tsp lemon juice awww what the heck forget that just drink the whiskey and you won't care if you have a cold
hope you feel better ILH

Absolutely...works here in Texas too. :nod: :nod: :nod: And a dose of Ex-Lax will stop the cough. :lol: :lol:

I keep handwipes in the truck. To keep from passing it thro the family add bleach to the dish rinse water..Also wipe the light switches and doorknobs with a bleach soloution..If you have an icemaker,toss the ice and clean the bin with bleach..

Latest posts