fav custom cuts

Help Support CattleToday:

Just brought a processed calf home from the butcher yesterday that dressed out 518 lbs. and cost $315 butcher bill. Probably the cut that gets eat the most around here is hamburger.

jltrent said:
Just brought a processed calf home from the butcher yesterday that dressed out 518 lbs. and cost $315 butcher bill. Probably the cut that gets eat the most around here is hamburger.

You cant beat burger. We've had rejects we had the whole thing made into burger.

cowgirl8 said:
BRYANT said:
Working at the packing house I always said Ox tail and sweet bread were two of my favorite parts of a beef as for steak I like bone in ribeye
Sweet breads...lol.. I saw someone drool over them on a cooking show. SO, the last calf I had processed, I asked our butcher to add those. The look on his face was priceless :secret: . I'm a curious person and since they are never put into the regular processing I asked them if they are not requested, what do they do with them. They said, ''We put them in the trash''.. Now, my sort of lack of trust told me, DO they really or do they sell them to high end restaurants???? I tried these sweet breads and found them to be like eating gristle. Its more a vehicle for fried crust...
I wished the whole steer could be cut into ribeyes…lol.. my fav cut.
The ones I ate were cooked by some of the Mexicans that worked there don't know how they cooked them, were not fried, but they were real good . ate them several times.

I always get large roasts from the tougher portions. I feed 7 adults so we go through a cow every year. Then I have the option of ground beef, roast, stew or fajita meat as I need it. I've found a little apple cider vinegar goes a long way to make tough cuts tender.

chaneysranch said:
I always get large roasts from the tougher portions. I feed 7 adults so we go through a cow every year. Then I have the option of ground beef, roast, stew or fajita meat as I need it. I've found a little apple cider vinegar goes a long way to make tough cuts tender.
do you mean you marinate the meat in apple cider vinegar? please expound a little on making tough cuts tender. thanks

cowgirl8 said:
ohiosteve said:
Definitely the Tri-tip.

I've never heard of the tri-tip.. What would that come off of? Since I've never had it, it must be part of something else...
It's from the bottom of the sirloin and it is super flavorful with lots of marbling and it's is just awesome grilled. I'm not sure what the butchering options are to get it, but you will not be disappointed if you get the chance to try it.

It is just me and the wife now and killing a beef will last a long time. When we did butcher we killed a calf that weighed around 700 lbs and not weaned. This gave us some smaller cuts and very tender. We now sell the calves and try to buy the choice cuts that we enjoy about once a week. We alternate with fish, pork and chicken and a lot of vegetables. My last LDL Cholesterol 106 ml/DL. I think that is pretty good. May be my diet or my genetics which ever I will take it. I am not taking any meds. to keep it down.I notice that I have edited this post several times. I need to be very careful and read before posting from now on.

Marinading (I prefer cheap jug/box dry red wine as the base) helps a bit in tenderizing but the real trick is knowing which cuts can be successfully cooked via dry heat versus those which benefit from mechanical tenderizing or relatively long/slow/low heat braising.

ccr said:
chaneysranch said:
do you mean you marinate the meat in apple cider vinegar? please expound a little on making tough cuts tender. thanks
Yes I use about a tablespoon of vinegar for about 5lbs of beef. I add in right into the pot with a lil worcestershire probably a tablespoon also. If its cut up for stew or fajitas it tenderizes pretty fast, less than an hour. Another trick is tomato juice, and really enhances the flavor. For 5lbs of beef I probably add 1 cup of tomato juice.

hurleyjd said:
It is just me and the wife now and killing a beef will last a long time. When we did butcher we killed a calf that weighed around 700 lbs and not weaned. This gave us some smaller cuts and very tender. We now sell the calves and try to buy the choice cuts that we enjoy about once a week. We alternate with fish, pork and chicken and a lot of vegetables. My last LDL Cholesterol 106 ml/DL. I think that is pretty good. May be my diet or my genetics which ever I will take it. I am not taking any meds. to keep it down.I notice that I have edited this post several times. I need to be very careful and read before posting from now on.

That's about the size Mom & Dad would have butchered. High end steaks weren't all that great but the rest of the meat was really good. The last one butchered was just before she passed in 2001. I miss the round and hamburger because bought tastes so different, but I've always preferred to buy the ribeye and sirloin.

I like to get lots of roasts. You can always grind a roast yourself if you feel the need, or slice it into steaks depending on the quality. I try to get them to leave the bone in everything that makes sense to. Bone in the cut adds flavour. Rib steaks need the bone in, and of course short ribs are as good as it gets. Round steaks are easy to slice up for stews or soups.... I like ground beef as much as the next guy, but if you don't grind too much you have some options is all I'm saying.
As far as butchering a 700 lb calf goes.... I believe I just lost my appetite. Tenderness in not all there is to beef. This is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Calf hung out at 550. Butcher explained all the cuts to me that I was curious about. Kept the tongue to try, kept the tail. Learned that a club steak is indeed a ribeye with a bone. I prefer mine with no bone. Getting them vacuumed packed. Cant wait, first meal I cook will be a pot roast. We use to live on pot roast and I haven't had a good one for so many years..

Latest posts