Social Security Cuts

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47":3075aezv said:
hey' all you guys had a chance to do the same thing; i'm guessin that you had too much pride or some other thing so you wouldn't take advantage of the gov't programs; oh, that's right, the ag dept runs one of the biggest givaway programs of all....

Amen on that we could start by doing away with ethanol subsidies.

tsmaxx47":180o9eie said:
hey' all you guys had a chance to do the same thing; i'm guessin that you had too much pride or some other thing so you wouldn't take advantage of the gov't programs; oh, that's right, the ag dept runs one of the biggest givaway programs of all....

As some one from Europe it is really amazing to find out just how much help you guys in the US get re ag subsidy.

Before CAP was reformed due to the "Bannana wars" 80% of the subsidy payments in the UK went to 20% of farmers. ie those that were suposidly large effeicent opperations. (yes English is my first language I just have a spelling problem) Also 50% of the money going into the programme is lost due to the effect of the way economics work. This form of subsidy not only did not work as it did very little to help the small farmer, it also worked against new entrants into the industry. Even after the changes to enviromental payments there is still a hugre barrier to young people entering the industry.

All industry subsidy from goverment should be stopped, in every country.

If it helps there is the same SS problems in the UK, If it had not been for the fact that 3 million Polish workers had moved in and paid Tax ten years ago the country would have been in real trouble. Look where they are now that since the crash lots of them left again.

tsmaxx47":2z0dwskb said:
Kill all those things. I've never filed for any kind of assistance in my life and don't plan to start. Not pride ... just principle.

TexasBred":k6s5xzih said:
tsmaxx47":k6s5xzih said:
Kill all those things. I've never filed for any kind of assistance in my life and don't plan to start. Not pride ... just principle.
Same here kill anything free. Ive never applied nor will I . Call it what you want to . I call it doing what's right . I'm not ok with spending money my kids and grand kids will have to pay back . Heck I don't even have a credit card. If I can't afford to pay for it I don't need it .

The military must remain strong. Pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq? After 5 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan no one would agre more than me, BUT...if we do we will be attacked again. The same tactics they use there will be on our streets here. The sad part is that folks always want to cut the military and they want to run down our leadership in this country and fuss about what goes on in Washington and how our electd officials are such crooks etc, etc. (I tend to do the same thing) However without the military and those of our greatest generation NONE of us would have the FREEDOM to write, say or even think the way we do.

To solve this countries problems is going to take drastic measures both on the micro and macro economic levels.

First thing is to revamp the way taxes are levied. Either go to a flat tax that taxes every dollar paid out to labor and business income or go to some type of sales tax that focuses on useage of items and commodities.

Second thing, make it illegal to lobby any elected official in anyway with exception of written and signed petitions to be presented to them by a CITIZEN of the United States.

Third to hold any elected office in this country you MUST be born here.

Make it mandatory that all able bodied 18-25 year olds serve a minimum of 2 years on active duty both males and females.

English should be the NATIONAL language, it should be against the law to burn the flag except to properly and honorable retire a deteriorated flag.

Those of us who really want change should work to support that change. Write letters to your elected officials, go to their town hall meetings run for political office.

One year from now I will be able to practice democracy with that ferver. Until then many of my comments, deep seated thoughts and convictions have to be curtailed as I took an oath to defend Democracy and sacrificed my Rights to practice it.

These comments in no way are written to offend anyone, they are strictly my opinions and observations based on 25 years of service to this, still the greatest country in the world. I am honored to serve and consider my service the Greatest thing I have done in life that is of this world!

In Minnesota we don't have to pay taxes on farm related purchases, is it the same in all states? Wouldn't that be considered a subsidy? Do you use any other tax advantages provided to farmers and ranchers that are not provided to other industries or individuals (like maybe property tax savings)?

Also if I'm not mistaken, the majority of the ethanol subsidy goes to the refineries as a tax credit for blending the ethanol with gasoline. And a smaller amount goes to ethanol producers. But the ethanol subsidy doesn't really go to corn farmers since the law says that refineries must have a 10%(?) blend. The government could decide to phase the amount of biofuels used and make the ethanol industry stand on its own. At this point it would be tough to totally eliminate all help to the ethanol industry. If the government promises that there will be a mandatory 10% of ethanol in all gas sold and I decide to invest a large chuck of money into an ethanol plant and now a couple years later if the government were to change their mind and remove that policy I could possibly lose nearly my entire investment. That would almost be like paying into S.S. all these years with the government promising that I will get it back when I retire and then changing their mind right before it's time to retire.

But didn't the government just vote last week to phase out the ethanol subsidy anyway?

I'm not saying I agree with or approve of any type of subsidy at all but once the government gets involved there are a lot of consequences when they try and pull out. I think most everyone would agree that they probably should have never got involved in the first place. But a steady energy and food supply are possibly the two most important things in preventing total chaos so I can understand it to some degree.

as always, what you read in the media is only partly true. the ethanol subsidies vote was only to reduce some of the subsidies, not to eliminate all of the ethanol subsidies. as a nation we're way past the point of eliminating any giveaway programs. the best that can be hoped for is some kind of control. believe me, these programs aren't going away until the printing press run out of oil.

Latest posts