Landmark Bill on Custom Meat Processing

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Falls Church, Virginia--July 23,2015--Today, Representatives Thomas Massie (R-KY) and Chellie Pingree (D-ME) introduced House Bill H.R. 3187, a bill that would significantly increase access to locally produced meat for consumers around the country. H.R. 3187 also known as the PRIME Act (the Processing Revival and Intrastate Meat Exemption Act), would return power to the states to determine appropriate regulations on meat processing for local sales.

The PRIME Act would give states the option of passing laws to allow the sale of custom slaughtered and processed meat in intrastate commerce direct to the consumer as well as to venues such as restaurants, hotels, or grocery stores that deal directly with consumers. Interstate sales or multi-step distribution chains would not be allowed.

http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/blog/2015 ... rocessing/

It's about time.
First step in rebuilding what LBJ destroyed back in 1964-1968 with his "Great Society" programs and giving all of the control to
the federal government. LBJ one of the worst presidents of all time, in my opinion.

ddd75":2kfjrwth said:
my last farm was right by massie.. he's a good guy.
Give him a call and tell him I said thanks.

I contacted my reps in NC and AR.

Jogeephus":bb5jwnsf said:
The Wholesome Meat Act of 67 destroyed an industry. I hope this thing passes. Its about time.
From the article and in support of what you just said....

"Until 1967, states were able to set their own regulations for meat processing," explained FTCLDF President Pete Kennedy. "The Wholesome Meat Act of 1967 was sold to the public as a consumer protection bill, but it has wound up being an industry consolidation measure. Between 1967 and 2010, we lost more than half of the federally inspected slaughterhouses in the country, severely reducing options for small farmers. And while there were 15,000 non-federally inspected slaughterhouses in 1967, today there is only a small fraction of that number."

Demand for locally produced beef outstrips production in the U.S., in part, because of the lack of access to inspected slaughterhouses. Currently, only four companies control over 80% of the beef processing in this country; four companies control over 60% of pork processing.1 Inspected slaughterhouses are stretched beyond capacity and the number of meat and poultry recalls has skyrocketed in recent years.

Son of Butch":289l32q1 said:
It's about time.
First step in rebuilding what LBJ destroyed back in 1964-1968 with his "Great Society" programs and giving all of the control to
the federal government. LBJ one of the worst presidents of all time, in my opinion.

No argument here.

The Big 0 is giving him a run for his money though.

Before this came into effect, we had four butcher shops in my little town. This is more butcher shops than we now have street lights. You could carry a cow to the butcher and have it slaughtered and pay him or do it on shares and he would sell the meat on his shelves. No more. A lot of the regulations that were tucked in this law did not come into effect for years by doing this those established businesses didn't have to comply so they did not complain because they knew it would not effect them.

This law was all in response to the knee jerk reaction from a book of fiction written by a liberal and the sheeple went nuts. Same with Rachel Carson's book.

Its odd how you can grow and sell pot but you can't grow and sell beef.

Red Bull Breeder":feb3zj7z said:
I can call them but with Tyson putting lots of money in political pockets, I bet I won't do any good.
Without a doubt. Tyson owns Arkansas politicians.

Latest posts