Fav .22

Help Support CattleToday:

Winchester 69A

Winchester69A.jpg

Since we are on 22's have any of ya'll tried the Aguila Super Max LR's they hum at 1750 fps almost 22 mag speed.
I keep a 10/22 on the mule loaded with them great for varmits.

dun":1wqa3yp6 said:
flaboy":1wqa3yp6 said:
Henry 22 Mag lever.

Dun, I have a 69A also. Sweet little pump.

If it's a pump it's not a Winchester 69A

You are correct. What was I thinking? It is a 62A that I have. Too many A's I guess.

flaboy":1ns5kkla said:
dun":1ns5kkla said:
flaboy":1ns5kkla said:
Henry 22 Mag lever.

Dun, I have a 69A also. Sweet little pump.

If it's a pump it's not a Winchester 69A

You are correct. What was I thinking? It is a 62A that I have. Too many A's I guess.
Don;t know what the difference is/was with a 62 and 62A. The 69 was cock on closing and the 69A is/was cock on opening. That's the only difference in them

dun":gz3hulry said:
Don;t know what the difference is/was with a 62 and 62A. The 69 was cock on closing and the 69A is/was cock on opening. That's the only difference in them

From what I figure out it is just the year of manufacture mostly.

Pre-war Model 62 (built 1932~1940)

Takedown
23 inch Round Barrel
Straight-grip Walnut Stock
Barrel and Receiver Blued
Forearm (slide handle) 10-grooved and smaller (<6")
Gun shoots .22 Short, Long and/or Long-rifle
Removable and Adjustable Rear Sight
Locking Cut present on the front top of the receiver to allow the breech bolt to lock externally
Early style breech bolt
Numbered on Receiver and lower tang but number did not contain an 'A'.
Serial numbered 1 to ~98,200
Several "extra-cost" options were offered

Post-war Model 62A (built ~1940-1958)

Takedown
23 inch Round Barrel
Pistol-grip Walnut Stock
Barrel and Receiver Blued
Forearm (slide handle) 17-grooved and larger (~8")
.22 Short, Long and/or Long-rifle
Removable and Adjustable Rear Sight
Locking Cut present on the front top of the receiver to allow the breech bolt to lock externally
Later style of breech bolt

Numbered on Receiver and lower tang and number contained an 'A'.
Serial numbered within 98,200 and ~ 409,000
Several "extra-cost" options were offered

"A name change, from the Model 62 to the Model 62A, occurred in the middle of 1940 when Winchester changed the breech bolt mechanism. This occurred around serial number 98,200. All Model 62 guns produced prior to this change had a slide pump forearm that was 5 3/4" long. After that date the slide pump forearm increased to 8" and the number of grooves cut into the wood on the forearm were increased from 10 to 17"

Model 62
Model62.jpg

flaboy":3r0escsl said:
Mine is S/N 101,XXX. Mine has 17 groves in the forearm.

"Winchester introduced the Model 62 slide-action .22-caliber rimfire rifle in 1932. It was an exposed-hammer pump similar to the Model 90, with the ability to chamber .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle cartridges interchangeably. Between 1939 and 1940, at approximately serial number 98,000, the action and bolt design were altered and the model name changed from Model 62 to Model 62A. Serial number 2560XX Model 62A was manufactured circa 1949. Winchester offered a Model 62 Gallery Rifle configuration, which is easily recognized by the �.22 Short Only� chamber marking and a triangular-shaped opening for loading. The triangular-shaped opening made speed loading with pre-loaded tubes of cartridges a snap at shooting galleries. A standard Model 62A in NRA Very Good condition currently retails in the $350 to $500 range. If your Model 62A has the Gallery Rifle features, add 30 to 40 percent."

Flayboy - I'll give you $50 and this cow for your Model 62A :)

IMG_0464.jpg

BeefmasterB":3305vulw said:

IMG_0464.jpg
Must be a hindu cow with that jewell in the middle of her forehead

dun":3q2kqv8m said:
BeefmasterB":3q2kqv8m said:

IMG_0464.jpg
Must be a hindu cow with that jewell in the middle of her forehead

But it's that half a tail you can't see that make her a nice conversation piece around the dinner table :lol2:

Speaking of cows. I culled 4 a couple weeks ago. Two really old ones, one with a bad hip, and a Hereford cow that was a complete idiot and I got tired of her. I got $.20 to $.47 cents a pound for the first three. I got $.02 cents a pound for the Hereford. After the preg check I got $1.86 for that cow. I am calling the market now to see what's up with that.

flaboy":3fkbd2yz said:
Speaking of cows. I culled 4 a couple weeks ago. Two really old ones, one with a bad hip, and a Hereford cow that was a complete idiot and I got tired of her. I got $.20 to $.47 cents a pound for the first three. I got $.02 cents a pound for the Hereford. After the preg check I got $1.86 for that cow. I am calling the market now to see what's up with that.

Musta cost you a lot of money to haul those cows to our salebarn. That sounds just like something that would happen here :cry2:

[/quote]
Must be a hindu cow with that jewell in the middle of her forehead[/quote]

Looks to me like a .22 slug stuck between her hide, and her thick skull. :D If not, it makes a nice aiming point. :eek:

I'm going to post this cow thing somewhere else so as to not highjack this thread any further.

Must be a hindu cow with that jewell in the middle of her forehead[/quote]

Looks to me like a .22 slug stuck between her hide, and her thick skull. :D If not, it makes a nice aiming point. :eek:[/quote]

It just might be!!! :lol2: It's my borthers cow. Breeds it to a registered Angus! Talk about heterosis :lol2:

Back to .22's: Had the bad experience of having to put a cow down 2 years ago. All I had at the time was a .22. Only saving grace was that it was a Nylon 66. Keep a high calibre in the truck nowdays if that job ever comes up again.

Latest posts