.22 Hornet

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14.

Reaction score
Does anyone have one? What do you think of it? I'm thinking about getting one for night time coyotes. There are houses around so I want something quieter then my .223

ez14.":3rpy2qpo said:
Does anyone have one? What do you think of it? I'm thinking about getting one for night time coyotes. There are houses around so I want something quieter then my .223

I do was the cats meow in the day.
Ammo is expensive and at times hard to come by. IMO stick with a 22 Mag or 223.

I have one I keep in my tractor, it's a Harrington/Richardson, single shot. Short barrel, short stock, probably weighs a tad over 4 lbs. Handy as he//, and has killed a lot of critters.

I have 4 I think. Have lots of ammo too but it is higher than the 22 mag. I love them. Looking for a stainless revolver made by Taurus but every one i have found is $1,100+.

JMJ Farms":26wgk385 said:
I really like a .22 Hornet. Probably more than even my trusty .17.
What .17 do you have? I have been considering either a .22 mag, .17 wsm or the .22 Hornet. Was leaning towards the Hornet

JMJ Farms":3qmpv3gq said:

17 just doesn't have enough lead to suit me. I won one and gave it away.
The 22Mag is running 2000 FPS with 40 grain bullet the Hornet roughly 2500 fps the 223 3000 FPS with 55 grains.
The cheapest to shoot is the 223 they all work well on critters out to 100 yards, after that the 223 really outshines them IMO.

ez14.":2f1iy15p said:
JMJ Farms":2f1iy15p said:
What .17 do you have? I have been considering either a .22 mag, .17 wsm or the .22 Hornet. Was leaning towards the Hornet

It's a Savage with a bull barrel. Sweet shooting gun. Have a friend that has a custom made .221 Fireball. Had never heard of one until he had his built. Super fast round and deadly accurate but I don't know much else about them or how common they are.

I like the hornet really good but keep a 17 super mag in the truck. It shoots good enough. Not a lot of choices in the rifle though. Savage and some high dollar ones I think.
CB is correct that the 223 is best all around. But not quiet.
221 is gonna be really hard to find and expensive to shoot

kenny thomas":1pu2kfj9 said:
Half the noise, half the recoil, half the speed, triple the price. Seems something ain't right there
:lol: That is a crazy high price. Could probably reload and put half the powder and do the same.

I have a hornet, 22 mag, 17 hmr, and a 223. For a tractor rifle I pick the 22 mag everytime. Ammo is cheap, the rifle is light and compact, and it gets the job done. There are times a 223 would be better (far away coyotes), but for every one of those shots there tend to be a lot more stuff that needs shooting at 20 yards or less.

True Grit Farms":kc43ce94 said:
I have a few rifles chambered in 22 mag and have never seen the reason for a 17 cal anything, besides a pellet gun.

Squirrels and plinking with kids. But a regular .22 is just as good and fun. As are others. I've got a couple of .22 mags. Ammo was hard to come by a couple years ago. Haven't done much looking since then bc I guess I've got plenty. No such thing as too much though.

JMJ Farms":5n5l12ae said:
True Grit Farms":5n5l12ae said:
I have a few rifles chambered in 22 mag and have never seen the reason for a 17 cal anything, besides a pellet gun.

Squirrels and plinking with kids. But a regular .22 is just as good and fun. As are others. I've got a couple of .22 mags. Ammo was hard to come by a couple years ago. Haven't done much looking since then bc I guess I've got plenty. No such thing as too much though.
I tell the boss that but she still dogs me everytime when we go to Academy.

Latest posts