.22 Hornet

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a .17 wsm. Ruger. It is a neat little gun. Tack driver, but not really good for much. I've shot a few coyotes with it, but it doesn't have much knock down power. I much prefer my 22-250 for truck gun. Much more range and power.
The .17 puts them down quick if you hit them good, and they are pretty close.

Went ahead and got a .22 mag pretty good gun so far though I haven't tested the range yet.

True Grit Farms":1z6c0alr said:
ez14.":1z6c0alr said:
Went ahead and got a .22 mag pretty good gun so far though I haven't tested the range yet.
If it shoots as good as it looks you did well young man.
The little bit of shooting I did do I was able to shoot 3 shot groups with the holes all touching at about 35-40 yards

ez14.":3ikc7yx6 said:
True Grit Farms":3ikc7yx6 said:
ez14.":3ikc7yx6 said:
If it shoots as good as it looks you did well young man.
The little bit of shooting I did do I was able to shoot 3 shot groups with the holes all touching at about 35-40 yards
Clean it and shoot it some more. One inch high at 50 will have you almost dead on at 100.

Look at the 17 Hornet. 25 gr bullet and very fast. Easily good for coyotes out to 200yds and probably a lot farther

ez14.":2hr8wku0 said:
Does anyone have one? What do you think of it? I'm thinking about getting one for night time coyotes. There are houses around so I want something quieter then my .223

All you need is a stamp and a can. Quiet and "cheap" to shoot. Nice little bolt gun you have there.

Farm Fence Solutions":3iyrfhq9 said:
ez14.":3iyrfhq9 said:
Does anyone have one? What do you think of it? I'm thinking about getting one for night time coyotes. There are houses around so I want something quieter then my .223

All you need is a stamp and a can. Quiet and "cheap" to shoot. Nice little bolt gun you have there.
A can may be in this guns future. And thanks I really like the gun

3waycross":1ppvof5l said:
Look at the 17 Hornet. 25 gr bullet and very fast. Easily good for coyotes out to 200yds and probably a lot farther
Probably pretty similar to the .17 wsm ballistics?

ez14.":1zsm20hj said:
3waycross":1zsm20hj said:
Probably pretty similar to the .17 wsm ballistics?

It's a good bit faster than the super mag. 500-600 FPS more with the same bullet.

I have a Savage Bmag in 17 WSM. I do like it, it's fairly quiet, super accurate, and cheap to shoot. However unless you get a perfect shot it will not stop a yote in their tracks, especially at longer ranges.

If I could do it over again, I would've gone with the centerfire. Ammo is more costly but I can always hand load.

Latest posts