Fattening the bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I have heard different opinions on how much ground feed to give your bulls when you have them pulled away from the cows. Some people feed them to fatten them up and others say that they will hold there condition longer if you don't fatten them as much. What do you guys do?

I get them so fat they can't walk. Some how they manage.

I do not know what ground feed is - I just separate them and grass / hay them. Maybe throw them some corn when it hits minus 30 or colder.

So far it has always worked. No fancy feed for them - waste of money - they have all winter to get ready for the next year.

Bez

I give him alittle grain right now while he is away from the cows, about five lbs a day which isn't much it just gives him a little treat , doesn't make him fat

Howdy,

When the bull is away from the cows, he gets a small amount of grain. Say around 5 lbs a day. Just to tide him over, but not fatten. If it looks like hes getting fat, then minus the grain. You just want to keep the bull in condition. The amount of daily energy that a bull uses on a daily basis is a lot. The grain is to just keep him level.

We just make sure that they've always got a couple round bales of good hay in the feeders and fresh water (no eating snow for the boys). Seems sufficient, as they're always plenty fat and sassy once the cows start cycling (that's prime fence repairing time around here) and they get right to business when we turn them out with the girls.

But we don't feed them any grain as we want them in their working clothes come spring. It's a different way of overwintering the bulls compared to some, but ours have to cover a lot of ground when they get to pasture, and sometimes it seems that bulls that have been "pushed" hard have a difficult time keeping good feet under them... at least in our experience. Sorefooted bulls don't travel well enough to cover all the cows, and we all know that open cows are a costly thing when you're in the business of producing calves.

I did have a bit of a hard time putting weight on one bull that I bought, but that was a different story altogether. I purchased him sight unseen on recommendation by a local breeder who gets a lot of his seedstock from a ranch in southern Alberta. The fanciest Char bull I've ever seen when he walked out of their trailer - bar none. Deep, thick, long and moved like a cat. But he had a hard time adjusting to the hay we feed up here, as he'd been fed on silage before that. Took him a year to finally get his gut adjusted to our feed, but he still puts the best calves on the ground every year - growthy and vigorous - never have had to help a single one find the teat.

But it's not uncommon for short grass cattle to have a hard time adjusting even to our native pasture grasses up here, so I guess it was par for course.

Take care.

Latest posts