Farms

Help Support CattleToday:

J&T Farm

Reaction score
Around here farms are going under or selling out to land developers everyday. The only people staying in are the old folks who have been farming forever. There are no young farmers anywhere around us. We have learned alot from all the oldtimers, and made good friends with many of them. I really wish some more younger people would get into farming. I hate to see it just disappear. Just wondered if this is the case anywhere else?

J&T Farm":1kihhngq said:
Around here farms are going under or selling out to land developers everyday. The only people staying in are the old folks who have been farming forever. There are no young farmers anywhere around us. We have learned alot from all the oldtimers, and made good friends with many of them. I really wish some more younger people would get into farming. I hate to see it just disappear. Just wondered if this is the case anywhere else?

I think your scenario is pretty much universal.

There's more money to be made in town.

Start up costs have gotten higher, too (land, machinery, etc). And fuel costs.

Around my area, some of the younger couples who grew up ranching/farming say they work in the mines for the insurance because of their kids. But, they all claim to be saving for that "place of their own."

And, some of their parents who are subdividing say a young couple can't make it, the place won't support two families, and the kids are better off getting a share of the profits and investing.

We have a big second home market here, and some suspect when the bottom really falls out, the land will be affordable again.

It's a hot topic here (wyoming). All this suburban-style development is changing the area for the worse. I don't think the damage will be reversible, myself.

More money in town is true, my husband and I both work on the farm. We have 3 chickens houses and 50 head cows. It is really hard to make ends meet. But we are going to keep on going as long as we can. Thats all you can do if you really want to farm I guess.

branDcalf":3d53ey2x said:
It's a hot topic here (wyoming). All this suburban-style development is changing the area for the worse.

I'm ammused and irritated at these jerksw that move to a rural setting to get away from the hustle and bussle of suburbia then build subdivision or ranchettes and complain about the smells and sounds of farming.

The "Price of Entry" has always been high.
Land is prized property. No one is making more.
Someone needs to earn a living in town while the other contributes to owning land.
Farming/Ranching will NOT pay the mortgage. Never has, never will. Until you are debt free. Then, it can be lucrative.
Whatever you do, keep a tight rein on the finances. Sweat. You'll be OK. Lots of folks here have done this. Good luck.

dun":3cdxkglz said:
branDcalf":3cdxkglz said:
It's a hot topic here (wyoming). All this suburban-style development is changing the area for the worse.

I'm ammused and irritated at these jerksw that move to a rural setting to get away from the hustle and bussle of suburbia then build subdivision or ranchettes and complain about the smells and sounds of farming.

Good post and again when they try to say who you can sell your land to.

dun":2lw8y22n said:
branDcalf":2lw8y22n said:

And end up turning it into what they were trying to get away from in the first place....

Ran alot of retired ranchers and the working class out of western Montana. Want to live in the mountains. Drove the price of land so high that people couldn't afford the raised property taxes.
Got a family near us that farms 25,000 acres and they have no heirs to take it over. Has alot of us worried who are next to them.

A lot of the Farmers around here, that have kids tell me all the time, that their children have absolutely no interest in Farming or Cattle.I wonder how the legacy will survive?

We have people that moved in right next door to chickens houses. I mean there house is closer to them than ours. Right on the other side of road, then they want to complain about ever little smell. And when we wean calves they grip about the cows bawling. :mad: If they don't like the country they are free to move back to the city. It gets me when people move to the country and try to turn it in to the city.
We had to borrow every dime to buy our farm, I hate owning money. but we have been careful and we put all the money towards paying it off. We will be completly paid out in 8 years. I am 28 and my husband is 32 so I think we will be alright. We bought and raised all our cows, built up slow ,but they are ours. And the chicken houses pay the land payment, and there bills. It is very tight but we stay paid ahead just incase something ever happens. And in 8 years it will be ours. That will be the greatest feeling in the world. :D
It is nice that both of us are here because Between chickens hay and cattle I don't think one of us could do it alone. But there may come a day when we have to try.

Crowderfarms":3l0ant5w said:
A lot of the Farmers around here, that have kids tell me all the time, that their children have absolutely no interest in Farming or Cattle.I wonder how the legacy will survive?

Good point. It won't. I am already prepared for it mentally.

Wewild":55lbg11p said:
Crowderfarms":55lbg11p said:

Good point. It won't. I am already prepared for it mentally.

I've thought many times, I was born 10 years too late.Could have bought places around here,for nearly nothing when nobody wanted to live in these Hills and Hollers

They just subdivided a farm not more than a half of a mile from me. Lots from 2 to 35 acres in size, and they sold for unbelievable money. For the life of me I can't figure out why. There is no jobs in this area [ the average wages in this area is about 12 to 14k per year]. No one retires here, winter seems like it last 9 months. :?: :?:

Same thing here. Land is worth a lot in this area, cows are worth nothing. Oldtimers are going broke trying to survive and it gets to the point they just give in and sell. Most of the younger generation is not interested in even attempting. I am not in the majority that is for sure.

At the county cattleman's association I'm always the youngest one there, by at least 15 years most nights. Most of the folks there have grandchildren my age. Sad.

cfpinz

A lot of the Farmers around here, that have kids tell me all the time, that their children have absolutely no interest in Farming or Cattle. I wonder how the legacy will survive?
We were hoping that our kids would have wanted to follow the tradition... They would rather live in California...
We wanted to pass something along after we are gone... I mean what is there of value to pass along to the next generation???? Not a whole lot of things are built today with any craftsmanship... No longevity... Cars, Computers, Furniture... Most of it's obsolete before you get it home...
I suspect that when we pass on, our land and our home will be sold and what monies are left after taxes and probate, will be split up among our kids...
Then, not only will the tradition be gone but so will most, if not all, of the history too!

Just Curious":2oiu7va8 said:
A lot of the Farmers around here, that have kids tell me all the time, that their children have absolutely no interest in Farming or Cattle. I wonder how the legacy will survive?
We were hoping that our kids would have wanted to follow the tradition... They would rather live in California...
We wanted to pass something along after we are gone... I mean what is there of value to pass along to the next generation???? Not a whole lot of things are built today with any craftsmanship... No longevity... Cars, Computers, Furniture... Most of it's obsolete before you get it home...
I suspect that when we pass on, our land and our home will be sold and what monies are left after taxes and probate, will be split up among our kids...
Then, not only will the tradition be gone but so will most, if not all, of the history too!

Thats a sad way to look at life maybe once they see city life at least one of your children would want it back out in the country I know I would If I could

J&T Farm":rrwv1x9g said:

The cost of land is what does it here.

Crowderfarms":oqdiok39 said:

There was a time in my life that I thought I would never have cattle or farm. It was just too much work in my childhood.

Latest posts