Factory Farms

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not sure what the beef checkoff dollars we all pay are going to but, I doubt it's educating people on how beef is raised.
Which is why it's up to us, the producers, to correct the propaganda & educate consumers. And yet, the Ag Industry as a whole doesn't go Mano a Mano combat against the vegans, tree huggers, PETA, Bill Gates, etc.

T
The 'factory farm' is one thing. I'm more concerned what 'lab grown meat' is going to do to the industry. I know nothing about 'lab raised meat', but neither does anyone else. There has to be some kind of waste produced by this meat as it grows that is the equivalent of manure or urea as it 'grows' as everything living has products that are 'waste' produced in the growth process, but right now these aren't seen by anyone. What happens to agriculture with the advent of this 'pollution free' meat production?
There are some good videos on YouTube about the economics of lab grown meat.
Doesn't look like it will ever be viable but fools will still throw venture capital at it

T

There are some good videos on YouTube about the economics of lab grown meat.
Doesn't look like it will ever be viable but fools will still throw venture capital at it
Maybe not, but who ever thought you would even be able to grow a steak in a petri dish? (This says nothing about quality, but that too might be addressed in time.)

You understand that as do I but the suburbanites never will.
People don't understand how the land works because they don't own any
This is why it kills me when I see articles/documentaries/media coverage that perpetuates the fantasy that ruminants (cows) don't have value beyond their meat... in the healthy ecology of the planet... and Agricultural Colleges are silent.

If every climate scientist in the world is giving their opinion on global warming... where the hell are the Ag schools when they, and those they educate, are wrongly being made the goat of popular opinion?

I think the argument could be made that methane occurs upon plant decomposition and it really doesn't matter if it went through a cow at some point.

On the nutrition front we are winning. Science is on our side and vegans have an 84% failure rate

Lab raised meat's dirty little secret is the fluid it is raised in. It's the serum of the blood of fetal calves. Hows that for a vegan feelgood?
I was curious when you posted that. I went digging. For some reason, no one wanted to post it anywhere, but I found someone who did.

Animal welfare is one reason for producing lab-grown meat. This production method can produce meat without the need for raising and slaughtering a large number of animals and therefore, has the potential to increase animal welfare within the food system.2 However, the process currently still relies on stem cells obtained from a live animal, and the most widely used culture medium contains fetal bovine serum (FBS), which is collected from foetal blood at animal slaughterhouses, so it is not yet entirely slaughter-free.3

I wonder how much blood has to be spilled to grow a pound of this meat?

I was curious when you posted that. I went digging. For some reason, no one wanted to post it anywhere, but I found someone who did.

Animal welfare is one reason for producing lab-grown meat. This production method can produce meat without the need for raising and slaughtering a large number of animals and therefore, has the potential to increase animal welfare within the food system.2 However, the process currently still relies on stem cells obtained from a live animal, and the most widely used culture medium contains fetal bovine serum (FBS), which is collected from foetal blood at animal slaughterhouses, so it is not yet entirely slaughter-free.3

I wonder how much blood has to be spilled to grow a pound of this meat?
I was wondering what the growth medium was….we used FBS 30 years ago to culture cells in a lab. Haven't come up with a good alternative yet. God did it right the first time with the original plan…