Farming is tough

Help Support CattleToday:

It is not insensitive. It is an honest statement. It catches some of the subtlety of the film.

"Off to the lake" equals living beyond your means.

Turning to alcohol is never an answer and many things done under the influence of drugs or alcohol are never a wise choice, but still all too common.

It does take a strong person to farm and to weather the risks. That said, depression is a short circuit in the brain. It is real. It happens all the time. The man in the film showed a person who stands on the legacy of his forefathers, along with all the pressures that goes with keeping it, and making it better for his heirs.
Yes, also land especially old family land has a way of taking on a real presence in your life. I really can't even explain it. Nothing would tempt you to sell it, but the thought of losing it to the bank would be terrible.

I knew a man who grew peaches, had hundreds of acres of peaches, to this day the town his operation was based in holds a peach festival along with a parade and all due to the business the man owned and operated.

It was so big of an operation that he had a processing facility built with conveyor lines to sort, grade, crate the peaches and big freezer section to store until they were loaded in semi trailers with refrigeration for shipping.

He had peach stands located along highways near the main processing plant that was located off the interstate.

The guy was high decorated world war 2 vet I think it was. He smoked cigars and was a tall stought bilt guy. Mean old bastard too !!! Kind of reminds me of myself Lol !!!

Me and couple friends would work for him during peach season. He was a rich man.

I don't know how many people he employed ? He had crews to pick the peaches, tractors pulling flatbed trailers to haul all the bushel baskets of peaches out of the fields, truck drivers, employed alot of people.

For some unknown reason one evening at Sun down. He got in his brand new truck, drove about 3 miles from his processing plant to a state park located on the bank of the Arkansas river and drove his truck down a boat ramp and committed suicide by drowning.

I have always wonder why he done it ? Heard different reasons why. One was he found out that he had cancer. Even if that is right. As mean and tuff as that old man was I can't imagine anything that would have caused him to do that.

He was always well dressed in dress paints, nice shirt, belt and cowboy boots, wore a gold watch. About 6 foot + inches tall. Bilt like a body builder.
IMO - Control. He'd been able to live under the illusion of controlling everything around him most of his life, wasn't going die any way he didn't control either.

2012 taught me that no amount of worry will make it rain.
Farmers that have problems with worry, or anxiety, think they have to be in control, or everything will crash.
We can't control the markets, weather, breakdowns, insects, disease, or even our own health, we can only mitigate it's effects, and trust in the Lord.
Old timer's knew this, be cause they were effected by it even greater than we are, for they could very well starve if things didn't work out. Also use to a lot more farmers that didn't work on Sunday, and I think we would be better off if we did like wises.

Sunday was always a day of rest growing up - only emergencies like the cows getting out were attended to. I've not kept that myself, nor my wife or kids as they will work their outside jobs on Sunday if required because that's the world we live in.

But, we don't work on the farm or at home on Sunday. Try and get to church at least in the morning and the remainder of the day is rest.

Unfortunately when it comes to farming. I might be wrong but, in most farming practices everything revolves around the amount of product you produce.

Most farmers exspecially new farmers just starting out and having to borrow alot of money to begin with can't survive tragedies that farmers who have passed their farms from one generation to the next.

You take 3, 4, 5 generation farmer's alot of them had the farm/equipment/knowledge passed on to them. And are big enough to make a descent living from farming.

We all know you make more money off the sale of 20 head of cattle verses 10 head of cattle. More off a 100 bushels of wheat than 10 bushels and so on.

The more money you make the better life style you can lead.

And of course the bigger your operation the more risk you take. More stress, more equipment to maintain, and more to lose when drought hits and you end up losing money by crop loss etc...,

I think where alot of people just starting out in farming make the mistake of trying too generate more of that money making product they have chose to produce than they have resources to produce it with.

People who have never raised cattle don't understand how many head of cattle they would have to raise to make say $ 30,000 clear on a yearly based.

They don't have a clue How many dollars worth of equipment it takes and so on.

They don't have a clue what would work best for their situation or a better way of wording it. What type of operation they can aford.

Given there are exceptions to most rules:: If you are not farming large enough to justify a hired man you will probably be the
last of your family to operate the farm. Generally it takes about a 1000 acres to justify a hired man. Fiscal diversity and a general
knowledge of economics is an asset no to be overlooked. Simply stated outside investments and the ability to capitalize on them
can add generations of life to the family farm. A spouse with no interest in the land is a death knell to the success of any operation.
Lack of time management is a big factor in farm failures. Too much unplanned time, There are more but I shall close with,
" Letting too much iron and oil set between the sun and the ground without a purpose" i.e. single use equipment
Oh and I almost forgot, God works in mysterious ways, His miracles to perform.

This little woman doctor right out of med school told me after she found out I have a few cows. That she had grew up on a farm, had some chickens, hogs, no cattle.

Said her and her husband had bought 30 acres of woods they were clearing and was planning on buying 80 more acres next to it that was mostly pasture. No water, little fencing that needs replaced. Said her husband just loves to be on a tractor. Plans on running a cow calf operation.

I didn't say nothing. Thought to myself they have been watching too much little house on the prairie.

This little woman doctor right out of med school told me after she found out I have a few cows. That she had grew up on a farm, had some chickens, hogs, no cattle.

Said her and her husband had bought 30 acres of woods they were clearing and was planning on buying 80 more acres next to it that was mostly pasture. No water, little fencing that needs replaced. Said her husband just loves to be on a tractor. Plans on running a cow calf operation.

I didn't say nothing. Thought to myself they have been watching too much little house on the prairie.
I've seen folks start with a whole lot less. Hope it works out for em. Next thing ya know they could have a thousand acres if played right.

Gotta have that "want to!"

I've seen folks start with a whole lot less. Hope it works out for em. Next thing ya know they could have a thousand acres if played right.

Gotta have that "want to!"
That and a whole lot of money. Not going to run many pairs + a bull,+ bale hay off of 110 acres even if it is real good pasture.

Even if you run the max carrying compacity for a cow calf operation on 110 acres

You will still lose money.

That and a whole lot of money. Not going to run many pairs + a bull,+ bale hay off of 110 acres even if it is real good pasture.

Even if you run the max carrying compacity for a cow calf operation on 110 acres

You will still lose money.
Ain't you an okie? Location?

I know of a guy has about 70 acres. Running 30 mamas and 2 bulls. 2 different locations. Usually more calves than mamas.....
I realize all locations are different but with smaller cows (corriente, lowline etc...) it can be very profitable.
Ya can also lose ur arse too! Lol

So many other things to make money in too. Pigs, chickens, eggs. It all adds up.
Maximize.
If he likes sitting on a tractor, lots of folks need help making hay, working ground, etc for use of equipment to make your own hay. Trade labor for hay.
Endless....
But like I said. Gotta have that "want to" drive.
All it takes. Pick up an extra 30 acre least. A 40, next thing ya know ur in the dough!

Last edited:
Don't think what you described is going to make any profit. Sounds like a good way to lose alot of money quick though.

Growing up 50 years ago my family and most other families done the butchering hogs, saleing pigs, potatoes for $ 10 a hundred, raised chickens for eggs and butchering.

Leasing land hasn't ever worked out too good for me either.

Now I can winter 30 pairs and 2 bulls on less than 15 acres along with a half dozen horse's only because i haul hay in to feed all of them through the winter.

Disagree with you about all it takes is want too. If it was a really good 70 acres and had perfect weather conditions to cut and bale hay ??? Was going to say you might hang on to the 30 head and two bulls for a year or so until drought hits or something else happens where you have to get rid of them because you can't feed them. Probably end up saling them for killer prices.

You take young people or even old people who don't know nothing about cattle or farming in general that goes into something like your describing.

All their going to end up with is an exspenseive education on what not to do again.

You can usually spot thoes kind of people around here. You find a 70 acre pasture and what cows are on it looks like skeletons with a hide drooped over them. They have eat the grass down to dirt.

They are learning that all it takes attitude is a bunch of bull ****.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Some folks would say, "theres no way that will work"

Some folks say, "how can I MAKE this work?"

Either way I guess a guy could still drown in a pile of beans if he worked at it

@504RP ..did she say they were going to make a living at it? Like @Mrcopier just posted, maybe they want to be more self sufficient, and if he likes the tractor, then go for it. If she is a dr, and practicing, then maybe they don't need the farm to be their primary source of income. Maybe they will flop and get out in 5 or 10 years after finding out what all it entails... but they deserve some consideration for wanting to try it and if she had some farm experience then hopefully will take good care of the cattle, healthwise. Maybe they will fall flat, maybe they will have it as a place to come back home to and reconnect with after a long day at work.
I give them a few points for wanting to do it and trying.
Our cattle pay for themselves, the rents/leases, mortgages, feed, fertilizer; we don't make alot of money and have outside income for "our daily" expenses and houses as neither son nor I live on the "farms"... but the mortgages, and all related, to the land are paid for by the cattle and that is increasing equity.....
And coming home to the "farm" is as good as spending money on other "hobbies" that give you nothing back monetarily.... they could just sit around and drink or smoke pot or do drugs or have a boat or go to the gym and play handball, or take an expensive "camper" and go to the campground for the weekends, or something that might give them pleasure too..... there is nothing wrong with wanting to have some animals to eat their grass. I go by places with 2 and 5 acre lawns that are wastefully mowed every week for no other reason than to look at it.... for what purpose? The gas, time and exhaust from the mower certainly doesn't contribute to "saving the planet".... so let them want and try to have their cow/calf operation. They might just want to raise some for the future sale of home grown beef... and they can make money at it if they do it cautiously and right.

I'm 7th generation farmer in this county. Years ago it was around 2000 acres from what I understand. Now down to just around 200 acres left in the family. With us being in 150 of that. It came through my mothers side and she inherited part and then they bought an adjoining parcel when it sold. My father got tired of it and wanted to sell out, my mother held out and wanted to keep the land. I have Meneire's disease which is an inner ear condition, and a heart condition. I've worked on the farm since I was a young teen. Briefly had a small business but it was not panning out and I was not physically able to do the work so I went back to concentrating my efforts on the farm. I was raised with the belief that farming was impossible and was always afraid to take much risk in expanding. It takes a lot of resources to keep going on a small scale and now I'm kind of getting some momentum even if just a bit. My wife has been instrumental in helping and making financial decisions. We are growing our cowherd and utilizing pastures better since switching to all cow/calf. We are seriously considering at some point selling out here and relocating especially since I am the last in my family line. I would likely still have some land and cattle as it keeps me motivated and moving around and I want to do that as long as I can.
We live on probably a lot less than most folks on this forum. We have eaten good, have our own beef, eggs, and usually try to grow a garden.
We also have a couple rental houses on the property, and my wife has gotten into doing short term rentals with one. You have to utilize every resource at your disposal. Sometimes thinking out side of the box so to speak, because there are so many variables what worked in years past may or may not work the same now.