Farming is tough

Help Support CattleToday:

Calling people cowards because they have difficulty dealing with stressful situations is not helpful. The world is becoming more and more lacking in compassion. That kind of reaction or fear of it from peoples families or people around them likely keeps many from opening up about their problems. We never know the kinds of problems that people have behind closed doors. If I remember correctly you have a just walk it off view of most things, and I respect that. I use that way of thinking too for myself a lot of times, but I'd be lying if I said that was easy to do or that I haven't let stress and worry get to me at times before putting things into perspective.
I've had two cousin's and a friend that have committed suicide. In all of those circumstances it caught each family by surprise as there apparently weren't clues that they were having such coping difficulties.
I respectfully disagree.
Leaving behind family and responsibilities is cowardly. And the problem in today's world is being to soft and being to politically correct to call a spade a spade. How many might firm their jaws and fight out of a bad deal instead of doing the unthinkable, if they knew it equals being a coward

Typed this 5 times, and it seems insensitive every time......... Alcohol clouds your judgement, and the family is off at the "lake".

Sorry, that was two observations I made.

I respectfully disagree.
Leaving behind family and responsibilities is cowardly. And the problem in today's world is being to soft and being to politically correct to call a spade a spade. How many might firm their jaws and fight out of a bad deal instead of doing the unthinkable, if they knew it equals being a coward
Again I respect your view on that as there is truth to the fact that it leaves families hurting in many ways. I've heard it said many times that it's a selfish act and as someone else said in a previous post that it's a permanent solution to temporary problems.
I still respectfully disagree with taking a hard line against it and calling it cowardly. Lots of folks dealing with depression already feel ashamed and alone in the world and keep it bottled up inside because of the stigma that the hard line opinions create. Sometimes there are situations that tough love is beneficial, but in a lot of cases compassion and a hand up and knowing that people care is beneficial.
Everybody's life experience is different, there isn't a one size fits all approach. Yes I agree that sometimes political correctness can be taken too far, but so can using the disdain of it as a copout to not care about others. I'm not saying you don't, just a generalized statement.

Even if I could farm or a living I don't think I would. Looking at that guy's bad day looks like a lot of mine and my farm has no debt and I have a good day job with insurance, 401K ect..

I feel spoiled with my 80 hour week

I respectfully disagree.
I completely agree.

And at the same time, theres no shame in asking for help!

I completely agree.

And at the same time, theres no shame in asking for help!
Yes feeling like you are able to ask for help, is what I'm talking about. There should be no shame in seeking help. It often helps to talk through things. If we are honest. we've probably all gone through some difficult times. A lot of times, when people know that others have been there, or are willing to be a listening ear, then it can ease some of the loneliness and hopelessness away.

Yes feeling like you are able to ask for help, is what I'm talking about. There should be no shame in seeking help. It often helps to talk through things. If we are honest. we've probably all gone through some difficult times. A lot of times, when people know that others have been there, or are willing to be a listening ear, then it can ease some of the loneliness and hopelessness away.
Yep. Often times stubbornness and pride get in the way and alters a guys direction.

Its no secret that people aren't able to cope with stress and problems today.. as they were years ago..and antidepressants sales at a all time high..don't think that mental illness stigma, is as bad today as it was in past years..where they'ed slap you in a asylum ..there is real clinical depression which you can't control no matter what ..and situational which more often than not you can control..heck there's debt forgiveness on every corner now...that the old folks didn't get the luxury of..

I'm not a bleeding heart, but there are mental issues that some have to deal with. Anxiety and depression are real problems that many people face, and neither they nor medical professionals have all the answers. To write it off across the board as cowardice is easy to do.

I'm blessed by the good Lord above that I have an attitude that nothing can beat me down. I also have a heart for my fellow man that is not so fortunate. This world sugar coats too many things, but this topic is one that has been swept under the rug.

Listened a little to a radio program yesterday morning, concerning veterinarian surcides on the rise. It was interesting, I just can't listen to that kind of stuff very long. When in the military, they went through a campaign of suicide awsreness education, then decided that the rates went down the less it was mentioned, so IDK.
I knew a man who grew peaches, had hundreds of acres of peaches, to this day the town his operation was based in holds a peach festival along with a parade and all due to the business the man owned and operated.

It was so big of an operation that he had a processing facility built with conveyor lines to sort, grade, crate the peaches and big freezer section to store until they were loaded in semi trailers with refrigeration for shipping.

He had peach stands located along highways near the main processing plant that was located off the interstate.

The guy was high decorated world war 2 vet I think it was. He smoked cigars and was a tall stought bilt guy. Mean old bastard too !!! Kind of reminds me of myself Lol !!!

Me and couple friends would work for him during peach season. He was a rich man.

I don't know how many people he employed ? He had crews to pick the peaches, tractors pulling flatbed trailers to haul all the bushel baskets of peaches out of the fields, truck drivers, employed alot of people.

For some unknown reason one evening at Sun down. He got in his brand new truck, drove about 3 miles from his processing plant to a state park located on the bank of the Arkansas river and drove his truck down a boat ramp and committed suicide by drowning.

I have always wonder why he done it ? Heard different reasons why. One was he found out that he had cancer. Even if that is right. As mean and tuff as that old man was I can't imagine anything that would have caused him to do that.

He was always well dressed in dress paints, nice shirt, belt and cowboy boots, wore a gold watch. About 6 foot + inches tall. Bilt like a body builder.

I knew a man who grew peaches, had hundreds of acres of peaches, to this day the town his operation was based in holds a peach festival along with a parade and all due to the business the man owned and operated.

It was so big of an operation that he had a processing facility built with conveyor lines to sort, grade, crate the peaches and big freezer section to store until they were loaded in semi trailers with refrigeration for shipping.

He had peach stands located along highways near the main processing plant that was located off the interstate.

The guy was high decorated world war 2 vet I think it was. He smoked cigars and was a tall stought bilt guy. Mean old bastard too !!! Kind of reminds me of myself Lol !!!

Me and couple friends would work for him during peach season. He was a rich man.

I don't know how many people he employed ? He had crews to pick the peaches, tractors pulling flatbed trailers to haul all the bushel baskets of peaches out of the fields, truck drivers, employed alot of people.

For some unknown reason one evening at Sun down. He got in his brand new truck, drove about 3 miles from his processing plant to a state park located on the bank of the Arkansas river and drove his truck down a boat ramp and committed suicide by drowning.

I have always wonder why he done it ? Heard different reasons why. One was he found out that he had cancer. Even if that is right. As mean and tuff as that old man was I can't imagine anything that would have caused him to do that.

He was always well dressed in dress paints, nice shirt, belt and cowboy boots, wore a gold watch. About 6 foot + inches tall. Bilt like a body builder.
Never know whats going on in people's heads..Hank Williams and Elvis were self destructive...had absolutely every worldly thing going for them..they unintentionally "maybe" committed suicide..but never really happy with anything..

Being a farmer doesn't make you a good farmer. Lot's of people fail at business, farming is just another business. It would definitely be harder to loose a family legacy but so it goes. Happens in every line of business

I have one farm family I really worry about. They're too stubborn to quit, but everyone involved would be better off if they just declared bankruptcy and moved on with life. I'd lose some money on that deal, but I'd gladly trade it to not have the nagging fear of what I might find every time I go out there.

2012 taught me that no amount of worry will make it rain.
Farmers that have problems with worry, or anxiety, think they have to be in control, or everything will crash.
We can't control the markets, weather, breakdowns, insects, disease, or even our own health, we can only mitigate it's effects, and trust in the Lord.
Old timer's knew this, be cause they were effected by it even greater than we are, for they could very well starve if things didn't work out. Also use to a lot more farmers that didn't work on Sunday, and I think we would be better off if we did like wises.

I
Its no secret that people aren't able to cope with stress and problems today.. as they were years ago..and antidepressants sales at a all time high..don't think that mental illness stigma, is as bad today as it was in past years..where they'ed slap you in a asylum ..there is real clinical depression which you can't control no matter what ..and situational which more often than not you can control..heck there's debt forgiveness on every corner now...that the old folks didn't get the luxury of..
Things like that used to be kept quiet more. Lots of "farm accidents" weren't accidents.

Being a farmer doesn't make you a good farmer. Lot's of people fail at business, farming is just another business. It would definitely be harder to loose a family legacy but so it goes. Happens in every line of business
You hit the nail on the head.

Typed this 5 times, and it seems insensitive every time......... Alcohol clouds your judgement, and the family is off at the "lake".

Sorry, that was two observations I made.
It is not insensitive. It is an honest statement. It catches some of the subtlety of the film.

"Off to the lake" equals living beyond your means.

Turning to alcohol is never an answer and many things done under the influence of drugs or alcohol are never a wise choice, but still all too common.

It does take a strong person to farm and to weather the risks. That said, depression is a short circuit in the brain. It is real. It happens all the time. The man in the film showed a person who stands on the legacy of his forefathers, along with all the pressures that goes with keeping it, and making it better for his heirs.

Latest posts