Fall calving experts

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
I usually calve in snow and frozen ground in Feb. and am done by the time the endless mud comes in mid March.
I have 25 fall calvers that came from 2 year old heifers that didn't breed back the first time after spring calving. They are getting old. So am I. Thinking about holding a bunch of heifers back to breed for fall calving.
My question. I have hardly time to look at the fall calvers when they calve. I look once in the evening and just count the new calves. Do you guys have the same problems with heifers in the fall that you can have in the spring?
Or is it a different kind of problem? Or no problems?
Will cost me some money to hold the heifers back 6 months longer, also kinda worried about them gettin' too big. Most will be purebred angus, bred angus the first year. After that they will be on my simmi bull that I bought. Won't buy any fall calving cows for replacements, don't want to.'
Any thoughts?? gs

Fall calving works much better for us. As fas as us watching them when they bring their calf out of the woods then we know we have a new calf. That being said we are building new fences and making some pastures in the open so we will prol start locking them in those at calving time next year.

We've been spring and fall calving for a couple of years now. I've noticed no difference one way or another. We do look at ours every couple of days but usually a day or two in between at a minimum. I'm getting ready to move my spring herd to the end of April first of May. I'm tired of the March mud and think the cows will raise a better calf since the grass will be coming in.

They get checked once a week here. Same chance for difficulties but if you are calving heifers that are 30 months old you shouldn't have problems if you breed them to a calving ease bull.

IMO There is no difference as far as problems go, whether its fall or spring calvers. We do both on my place, and you can have the same problems one way or another. As far as checking them, I honestly dont see how you guys can go days or weeks without checking on your cows or calves. I try to check mine every single day, or at least every other day. Too many things can happen to not check them. I call it preventative checks.. :cboy:

I check once a day as I have another job also. I have been using a Lowline bull the last couple years on the heifers so I don't have to worry them. I know I'm leaving money on the table, but not having to worry about them when I'm gone is worth it for me.

Jake, I wondered about those 30 old heifers. Figured they would have less trouble. I usually don't have many pulling, breach, etc. issues. The biggest problem I have with heifers is that they will let anything suck, and claim every calf born. I am concerned that will happen, and I will end up with orphans no one will claim.
When it happens in the winter, I have more time to make someone take them. In the fall, time won't be available. Would larger calving pastures help? Right now my pastures are about 5 acres, with 3 day moves.
Which makes another question, those that move every few days, do you have trouble getting all the calves moved? Sounds like a pita to me.
J&D, the only thing I see wrong with moving calving closer to grass for me is that a 90 old day calf is really ready to go on grass and make good use of it, where a 2 week old calf gets going on the grass when it's not so platable for them, its later in the summer for them to utilize it. gs

I calve spring and fall. I like them both equally. I would say that a calf born in early fall is big enough to polish off its fair share of hay by spring.

I do both spring and fall. Depending on weather,etc. the spring calves may wean heavier. The earlier after the 1st of Sept. here, the better I like it. I think you may be pleased with the long term results on the 30 month calvers.
Mine calf between 24 to 30 months. That depends on which group they are held for.

fitz

I second the motion on 30 month heifers. Well worth the added expense in my opinion. I calve three periods because of different locations and not wanting more bulls. Late Aug thru Nov. Dec thru Feb. March thru May. It works for me and gives me options if a cow calves late. I have a young cheap bull that I rotate on to the property after the main herd bull(s) leave to clean up if needed. This helps prevents open cows.

The fall calves will weigh out less at weaning but they are ready to go on good spring/summer grass or sell into what is usually the best auction prices for the year. The winter calves are eating good when the Rye grass explodes in March and wean out in July about 650 lbs with no creep. The spring calves wean out between the two but are ready to put on oats or wheat about this time of the year. Each period has some plus and minus points but it gives you lots of options to match animals to forage.

I calve every month of the year. if I had my way about it, I would have them all calve in February and march like yours already are. As far as more or less problems fall or spring, I lean towards spring actually being better, but not a huge difference either way to be honest.

plumber_greg":197p8vrx said:
Jake, I wondered about those 30 old heifers. Figured they would have less trouble. I usually don't have many pulling, breach, etc. issues. The biggest problem I have with heifers is that they will let anything suck, and claim every calf born. I am concerned that will happen, and I will end up with orphans no one will claim.
When it happens in the winter, I have more time to make someone take them. In the fall, time won't be available. Would larger calving pastures help? Right now my pastures are about 5 acres, with 3 day moves.
Which makes another question, those that move every few days, do you have trouble getting all the calves moved? Sounds like a pita to me.
J&D, the only thing I see wrong with moving calving closer to grass for me is that a 90 old day calf is really ready to go on grass and make good use of it, where a 2 week old calf gets going on the grass when it's not so platable for them, its later in the summer for them to utilize it. gs

For the most part cattle calving in the spring are going to be in tighter proximity than those calving in the fall out on grass. You will have trouble getting all the calves moved. But you could use a "sandhills" calving system and leave the pairs behind and just move the bred cows. Just depends on your system

Latest posts