Fair price for registered RA heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a 6 mo. old weaned red angus heifer, but I only want to do so if I'm getting a nice deal since I'll have to keep her all the way through next year when she's old enough to breed. I visited her yesterday and saw her dam, a very nice looking 8 year old cow. I've looked at sire and dam's EPD's and they're within the range I'm looking for. The heifer is good looking too, has some muscle, but also very feminine and balanced. I haven't shopped for registered females before so I'm still learning. Price is $700. Can someone tell me what price range is normal?

if she's what your looking for, has the EPD's conformation and such - i'd go for it- but $700 would be plenty. the last sale in our area, good 615 wt. commercial heifers were bringing $1.03/lb or $633/hd.
I'd be sure that the seller covered any costs required for her registration, and that her vaccinations are all up to date including calf-hood. additionally, if you can get the seller to provide delivery thats all the better.

Good luck
ROB

Some will sell higher and others lower depending on the bloodlines. But 700 is a fair price.

Thank you. Yes, vaccinations, registration and delivery will be included, with the exception of Bang's which I'll take care of later when I have a group and can justify the vet's fee for a ranch visit. Her bloodlines are out of McPhees, a CA breeder. To me, $700 is a lot to pay for one calf, so I thought I'd ask.

2/B or not 2/B":14vwc1i7 said:
Thank you. Yes, vaccinations, registration and delivery will be included, with the exception of Bang's which I'll take care of later when I have a group and can justify the vet's fee for a ranch visit. Her bloodlines are out of McPhees, a CA breeder. To me, $700 is a lot to pay for one calf, so I thought I'd ask.
$700 is cheap for a reg heifer.i sold 2 reg beefmaster heifers ages 7 months an 10 months old for $800ea.an i paid for the transfers an reging of the heifers.so if you can get her for $700 papers transfered an delivered id jump on it.

2/B or not 2/B":1tt3aefj said:

One thing to consider is that the strain 19 MLV can only be given between 3 and 8 months of age to prevent false positive testing. The protocol here is to vaccinate with strain 19 at weaning and follow up with RB51 4 months later for better immunity.

$700 is a good price if everything is right with the animal. I don't know of much that sells lower for good registered stock.

$700 is a pretty good deal. I have been looking for Reg RA heifers for 2 months and for yearlings the best price I can find is $1100 that's by far the cheapest. The ones from the big outfits are going for an average of 2400 dollars as replacements. If you like her snap her up now before the price goes up

$700 is a fair price for a good registered heifer... especially if she's one you like!

A good weaned heifer at a registered sale will generally bring $800 to $1200, depending on the bloodlines.

I paid from $450 to $650 each for purebred Black Angus Heifers without papers. $700 is a pretty good price with papers and delivered to boot. I'm sure it's alot of money for you to pay for a decent heifer but the good ones don't come much cheaper than that.

2/B or not 2/B":2e7leqvs said:
...with the exception of Bang's which I'll take care of later when I have a group and can justify the vet's fee for a ranch visit.

Heifers need to be vaccinated for Bangs prior to one year of age. Older than that and they tend read false positive on testing, which can cause problems for you. If she isn't already vaccinated, make arrangements for the current owner to swing by the vet (if he is delivering her), or make arrangements for you to swing by the vet when you pick her up. That will eliminate the farm visit charge, and mileage fees.

2/B or not 2/B wrote:...with the exception of Bang's which I'll take care of later when I have a group and can justify the vet's fee for a ranch visit.

I have two other young heifer calves here that will be ready to have theirs soon so it shouldn't be a problem. They'll all make it into the same window even if I wait and do them together. I like having the vet here because I usually have lots of questions saved up for her. Just trying to make it worth my while.

Latest posts