Fair or Not Fair

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62":25hwul2f said:
In last years horse show there were 2 kids showing horses, and it was pretty obvious the horses involved had never seen them before. Others were not so blatant, and there were a couple that appeared to actually have been working with their horses. Of course, the aforementioned 2 won. Sad but true.

When I said many things can be learned through 4-H this is also one of the things I was talking about. If you participate in 4-H you will learn that many people cheat and buy themselves victories in life. A child will learn to deal with unfair and fair situations. Good life lessons to be learned.

It reminds me of another thread on a different board that people talked about how they do not go to Church because of some unfair thing or problem that a members in the church did to them. Makes me wonder if maybe they did not learn to deal with adversary when young.

One thing I have learned with kids showing animals is that there will always be parents that cheat or try to buy their kids a victory. It is fun to beat those people!

aplusmnt":2l8wr6jx said:
If you participate in 4-H you will learn that many people cheat and buy themselves victories in life. A child will learn to deal with unfair and fair situations. Good life lessons to be learned.
Buy and Cheat and 4-H..... Wow those are some powerful words, but somehow fail to go together! Then again with a Purple Ribbon and a $1.00 and I am sure that you can get a cup of coffee in most restaurants!
Life can be unfair... But that's life in general when dealing with subjective events...
An incident that happened to me years ago was in showing Labrador Retreivers... I went to a series of three shows in three days in three different towns that were close together. It was my first attempt and I met one other person showing and told me flat out that I would not be competitive in two of the three because those judges would pick yellow dogs and mine were black... Sure enough he was right... But there I was in that subjective environment...
Knowing the trade... Knowing the judges (As in knowing what they are looking for)... Is doing your homework... It is part of the competition! If I would have persued showing any longer, I would have at least made sure that I had one dog in each color, one short coupled, one overweight, one with a short stubby tail and one that would run with its tail between its legs to show that it wasn't comfortable with its handler when I went into the ring... (Chocolates were popular in those days...)
And I agree that learning such lessons are important for children...
I, personally, would be hard pressed to make such accusations as buying and cheating... I think that that would be pretty hard to prove...
Then again maybe I have been just judging in the wrong categories! :shock:

I luv herfrds":18rltftl said:
cowgirl580 if you re-read my first post you will see that I had called the person in charge of the rabbit show the night before, same person that told me that he couldn't show later. Told me that there was no problem.
I read the book several times before we entered. Read the rules for the showings.
I am already planning on attending the next fair meeting to get this issue addressed.

YEAH, I SAW THAT. BUT WHAT POSITION DOES THAT PERSON HOLD? ARE THEY ON THE FAIR BOARD OR ARE THEY A VOLUNTEER? I'M NOT SAYING THAT YOU'RE DOING WRONG OR WHATEVER, I'M JUST OFFERING UP MORE SUGGESTIONS. WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH IS UNHEARD OF AROUND HERE, BUT THEN AGAIN, WE'RE SMALL TIME. WE DOE HAVE A FEW PARENTS THAT LIKE TO SMUDGE THE LINE A LITTLE, BUT THE FAIR BOARD MEMBERS DEAL WITH THAT DIRECTLY AND SO DOES THE PRESIDENT OF THE FAIR BOARD. GOOD LUCK

Just Curious":ols6ewyh said:
aplusmnt":ols6ewyh said:
If you participate in 4-H you will learn that many people cheat and buy themselves victories in life. A child will learn to deal with unfair and fair situations. Good life lessons to be learned.
Buy and Cheat and 4-H..... Wow those are some powerful words, but somehow fail to go together!

I, personally, would be hard pressed to make such accusations as buying and cheating... I think that that would be pretty hard to prove...
Then again maybe I have been just judging in the wrong categories! :shock:

I do not want to put a bad light on 4-H because that was not my point. But if you know nothing about cheating in 4-H and FFA competitions. Then you really are in different categories. It can be a big problem in many areas such and especially in Livestock. Leasing animals, or animals being raised at other farms in other counties and the kids only time to see the animal is fair week. Pumping air into them, illegal chemicals, fudging on birth dates. There is a long list of things that go on around the country in the name of children's competition.

I luv herfrds":19pxi95g said:
She was the Superintendent of the Rabbit show and the 4-H leader for a club.

then she isn't the one you want to speak to ultimately. you did want to talk to her so she could clarify and so you would have a better idea as to what was really happening, but going to the fair board, like you are, is your best bet. make sure you'll be able to speak to the whole board and bring your issue up. i don't know about your rules, but some boards won't allow you to introduce the topic without first contacting someone in the board and having it put on the agenda.

It sounds like there was a misunderstanding in what you had to enter.
There are specific classes for 4-H, don't slam 4-H if your son is not a member and can not compete in those classes. Open classes at our fair for rabbits are for breeding stock. A neutered rabbit is not breeding stock.
I'm trying not to sound to harsh because I think both sides made mistakes or were not fully informed. Read the rules, make sure you comply and have the animal properly entered, and be prepared for next year.

Latest posts