Eyes. What is the deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Why is eye pigmentation " important" in Herefords? Maybe it is in other breeds but I never see ya'll talk about it much in respect to other breeds. Can someone explain that to me?

piedmontese":zz1w8obk said:
KNERSIE":zz1w8obk said:
Why is eye pigmentation " important" in Herefords?

Because it sells bulls like no other trait.
i seriously doubt that very much.

pigmentation probably doesn't sell bulls like no other trait.....BUT the lack of pigmentation probably subtracts more money than any other trait, especially in herefords...so i would agree with Knersie. :2cents:

Put 10 hereford bulls in a pen, hand the potential buyer a stack of paper with performance data, scans, EPDs, pedigrees, photos of the dams and sires sit back and observe which bull sells first..... the one with the goggle eyes, regardless of how good or bad the eyes are otherwise.

KNERSIE":3cxmf4ty said:
Put 10 hereford bulls in a pen, hand the potential buyer a stack of paper with performance data, scans, EPDs, pedigrees, photos of the dams and sires sit back and observe which bull sells first..... the one with the goggle eyes, regardless of how good or bad the eyes are otherwise.

You have it right.

However after many years I am less convinced now than years ago that there is any direct correlation between pigmentation and cancer suscepibility or pinkeye. Pinkeye is almost 100% flies for us. Knock the flies off and end the pinkeye.

When we have a big breakout of pinkeye it hits the blacks as hard as any. :???:

After the drought I did not mow the weeds as hard. I was trying to salvage any forage grass left. That was the winter pink eye hit my brangus.

I see cows with "stick tights" or "Beggar's lice" all over their coats and head. It is nothing but a clinging weed seed. It will get all over your pants legs. Cows in pastures choked with weed are very susceptible to them. They are rubbing their heads and eyes on anything they can find. Flies all over them too. Close inspection will find those clinging beggar's lice all over their eyes. We have severe fly problems here too in this climate.

If neighbors are not taking care of their cattle, flies can spread practically everything into your own herd. Eye patterns won't help much.

backhoeboogie":8jl9n2o9 said:
After the drought I did not mow the weeds as hard. I was trying to salvage any forage grass left. That was the winter pink eye hit my brangus.

I see cows with "stick tights" or "Beggar's lice" all over their coats and head. It is nothing but a clinging weed seed. It will get all over your pants legs. Cows in pastures choked with weed are very susceptible to them. They are rubbing their heads and eyes on anything they can find. Flies all over them too. Close inspection will find those clinging beggar's lice all over their eyes. We have severe fly problems here too in this climate.

If neighbors are not taking care of their cattle, flies can spread practically everything into your own herd. Eye patterns won't help much.
if their set right and the pattern is right so they dont get irritated and run it will help plenty

Knersie, can't say that is the same on my farm. I don't think my buyers have it in the top 3 traits. Most bulls go straight onto black cows, so they assume all the pigment will pass through that way.

oakcreekfarms":3lzrtbxc said:
Knersie, can't say that is the same on my farm. I don't think my buyers have it in the top 3 traits. Most bulls go straight onto black cows, so they assume all the pigment will pass through that way.

I sell mostly to other hereford herds, mostly commercial, but also a few registered, wish it was the case in my situation too. Its very hard to sell a white eyed bull here.

The more I think about it I think eyeset has as much to do with it as anything-I get as much eye trouble in our black cattle as our white faced ones. I agree a heavily pigmented bull does draw the eye but I sure hope it doesn't become the main focus selection-were still dealing with the yellow haired silliness in Canada. There are areas where a Hereford bulls that is a pumpkin yellow shade of red sells for a pretty good premium.

Northern Rancher":2g7ssw53 said:
The more I think about it I think eyeset has as much to do with it as anything-I get as much eye trouble in our black cattle as our white faced ones. I agree a heavily pigmented bull does draw the eye but I sure hope it doesn't become the main focus selection-were still dealing with the yellow haired silliness in Canada. There are areas where a Hereford bulls that is a pumpkin yellow shade of red sells for a pretty good premium.

In my opinion the only thing that plays a role in preventing eye problems (except fly and pasture management) is eyeset and eyelashes, pigment plays no role whatsoever except to get a conversation going. All that said it pays to steer clear of those really pink eyelids, but a good white or creamish coloured eyelid is as good as red pigment.

Here a dark cherry red will outsell a yellow bull on any day and with our climate you'd expect the yellow to be the more sensible choice.

Northern Rancher":13ydklev said:
You know as well as I reason has no place in the cattle business lol.

Can't let common sense or the truth spoil a good story.

Latest posts