Excede.....IN THE EAR???

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
Got on there website and it said administer in the ear...... Would it do the same in the neck? Whats the purpose in the ear.....oh and it also said if you hit one of the arteries in the ear it will more than likely kill the animal? just wanting your thoughts on this..

Dixieangus":365gtnfj said:
Got on there website and it said administer in the ear...... Would it do the same in the neck? Whats the purpose in the ear.....oh and it also said if you hit one of the arteries in the ear it will more than likely kill the animal? just wanting your thoughts on this..

Here is a good link to read which explains all of your questions.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/excede-sterile ... n-can.html

i was just wondering because one of my neighbors said they gave it in the neck when they use to use it......wondered if they still got the bang for their buck or just threw medicine out the window

I use a lot of excede and give it a the base of the ear, which is the other recommended site. No danger of getting it into the artery at this site. A couple of years ago there was a good video on the excede website that showed how to give it at the base of the ear. At first it was a little awkward to do but after doing it a few times, it is now second nature.

As the active ingredient in excede is the same as excenel and naxell but excede lasts a week instead of just 1 day, I'm certain the unique injection site is an important part of making excede give a 1 week therapy duration. IMO-giving it sq will probably diminish the duration/effectiveness. Since giving it at the base of the ear is not that difficult, why take a chance.

FWIW By using excede when starting 200# salebarn calves has resulted in extremely low sickness rates in these high risk calves.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The reason Excede is approved for ear administration has to do with the meat withdrawl period.
As the ears are removed at slaughter and not used in any way for human consumption, they can have a shorter w/d date then they would for a SQ approved product given in the neck.
It is no less effective given SQ in the neck BUT it is off-label and you would need your veterinarian's blessing to do so.
The drug has a longer duration than Excenel/Naxel because of the carrier the drug is suspended in and the drug concentration is 4x higher.
The reason you have to avoid arterial injection is that the drug bolus would go straight to the brain. Lights out.

Stocker Steve":1w7z98sw said:
Texas PaPaw":1w7z98sw said:
FWIW By using excede when starting 200# salebarn calves has resulted in extremely low sickness rates in these high risk calves.

Better than Draxin for sales barn calves?

Won't say it is better than draxxin but just as good & 2/3 the cost
Most Of the year, less than 2% of these flyweight calves require any further treatment. In the fall it may increase to 4-5%

jillaroo":1yaxawdw said:
The reason Excede is approved for ear administration has to do with the meat withdrawl period.
As the ears are removed at slaughter and not used in any way for human consumption, they can have a shorter w/d date then they would for a SQ approved product given in the neck.
It is no less effective given SQ in the neck BUT it is off-label and you would need your veterinarian's blessing to do so.
The drug has a longer duration than Excenel/Naxel because of the carrier the drug is suspended in and the drug concentration is 4x higher.
The reason you have to avoid arterial injection is that the drug bolus would go straight to the brain. Lights out.

First I've ever heard of the withdrawal being the reason for injecting in the ear.
Considering that naxel only has a 4 day withdrawal, wouldn't think that the higher dose & different carrier would make enough difference to require a method of administration that has Potentially fatal consequences if not administered precisely

jillaroo":25u9u5u1 said:
Curious where you got your information. It sounds nothing like what my vet told me.

novaman":jx44djxc said:
jillaroo":jx44djxc said:
Curious where you got your information. It sounds nothing like what my vet told me.

Jillaroo is correct, found this source to substantiate: http://www.sdbqa.com/pdfs/Using%20FDA%2 ... s%2009.pdf

"Excede administered subcutaneously (SQ) in the neck region instead of the label directed middle portion of the back of the ear or base of ear locations changes the disposition of the drug. The potential for a violative residue at the injection site increases the required withdrawal time well beyond the label withdrawal time of 13 days."

Can't find a source but I have told by several Pfizer people that the injection site residues can be there for a looong time, so don't do it. Base-of-ear administration is also approved and easier (see the Excede website), have done this myself.

As for death by IV injection, the carrier would do it. If you can't see thru it, don't give IV (one exception, but not an antibiotic).

Latest posts