European beef

Help Support CattleToday:

I bet no-one is wondering why european beef is so bad anymore! honestly there's only the charolais bull that I'd even consider using and he's a dick dragger, all the double muscled crap, good grief. :roll:

Watching some of those bulls move was one of the most painful things I have done in a long time.

The featured bulls in the videos show the dominance of double muscled bulls in the beef AI marketplace in the British Isles. The Angus bull featured is of North American breeding being out of A Young Dale bull. The Charolais bull is considered a good all around bull by Irish Standards but he would be considered too hard calving for anyone in North America. The only two Charolais Bulls worthwhile in the catalog are Dovea Pinocchio and the Bob Jovi bull as they are the easiest calving and have best maternal background.
The Belgian Blue bulls are mostly British bred and are by no means the most extreme bulls available. As Belgian Blue bulls go they are a functional lot by comparison. For more extreme bulls look at the Parthenaise bulls. One of them has been siring plenty of grand champion steers in Ireland. I would never use any of these bulls in a North American beef operation due to calving problems and poor resistance to extremes in climate. Note the tight, thin hides on all the double muscled bulls and slick hair coats. These cattle can't handle the cold or the heat (personal experience).
They do have the #1 performance shorthorn bull for Australia for you shorthorn types. Check out the other bulls at: http://www.dovea.ie/html/beef_sires.html

I wonder why they breed these kind of monsters. I was in France couple of months ago and they said calving problems are rare. "Calving problem is cesarean section".

I hope some day we can get a rid of the EUROP-classification. Beef should be valued by it's eating qualities.

Good Terminal bulls! Money makers! Not these deep sided soggy made no growth gutless watered down Angushybrids or chi/maine/sim club calf bulls that know one nows what the heck the breeding is! the bulls in this video are "real beef genetics" not fluffed up show cattle!

mass produce dog meat and it is still dogmeat. Retail yield and muscling are a function of profit in the store / packing floor, but have zero to do with eating quality. I gotta wonder at your observation skills referring to 'gutless' cattle after watching that video!

Two extreme points of view in one post. One guy only thinks about eating quality in a American context not production efficiency. The other is all about maximum production in a very intensive environment.
In my mind both miss the point. Endless studies show that the fattest animal is not necessarily the best eating. Also either we pay attention to cost of production beef will lose market share to other protein sources. Since the average YG on a U. S. steer is a little over 3 there is room for improvement here without impacting eating quality. Don't believe me? Look at the price premiums that Laura's Lean gets in the supermarket even over CAB. If the product was providing a horrible eating experience the price premium wouldn't exist.
That said the use of double muscled bulls in a beef herd of any size brings huge problems beyond calving issues. These cattle are slow growing, aren't fertile, and can't handle stress well. Only about one in five bulls pans out. Think about that purebred breeders at your next bull sale. These cattle need AI to produce an acceptable calf so they can weed the good bulls from the bad. Leachman tried to started a Piedmontese branded beef program and this was at least partly responsible for their going broke. These cattle work great on getting beef/veal calves out of dairy cows not much else.
In Northern Europe North American Charolais and Simmental bulls have won progeny tests against bulls like those in the video based on their ability to calve and grow better. Tell a French or Belgian breeder that some of these North American bulls are solid red or black and they come unglued.

VLS_GUY said:
Two extreme points of view in one post. One guy only thinks about eating quality in a American context not production efficiency. The other is all about maximum production in a very intensive environment.
In my mind both miss the point. Endless studies show that the fattest animal is not necessarily the best eating. Also either we pay attention to cost of production beef will lose market share to other protein sources. Since the average YG on a U. S. steer is a little over 3 there is room for improvement here without impacting eating quality. Don't believe me? Look at the price premiums that Laura's Lean gets in the supermarket even over CAB. If the product was providing a horrible eating experience the price premium wouldn't exist.
That said the use of double muscled bulls in a beef herd of any size brings huge problems beyond calving issues. These cattle are slow growing, aren't fertile, and can't handle stress well. Only about one in five bulls pans out. Think about that purebred breeders at your next bull sale. These cattle need AI to produce an acceptable calf so they can weed the good bulls from the bad. Leachman tried to started a Piedmontese branded beef program and this was at least partly responsible for their going broke. These cattle work great on getting beef/veal calves out of dairy cows not much else.
In Northern Europe North American Charolais and Simmental bulls have won progeny tests against bulls like those in the video based on their ability to calve and grow better. Tell a French or Belgian breeder that some of these North American bulls are solid red or black and they come unglued.[/quote]

Why. Why would they care what color they are.

The breeders of these cattle in Continental Europe want their cattle to be traditionally marked or they can't be used. In many of these countries a bull has to be licensed to be used and if the markings are not right for the breed no license from the classifier.

ALACOWMAN":1y5vb7t4 said:
dont think fat cattle was what he was refering to,,,, that was a whole bunch of dry muscle

Exactly right Alacowman.

BTW vlsguy, I grew up and raised cattle in the UK, the europ grading system is a total disservice to the eating quality of beef, fat (imf) is flavor. I'm saddened at the descent of uk breeds into a phenotype that is closer to limousin than anything else. It's not like bottom round is even a premium cut!

VLS_GUY":2agplnmd said:
The breeders of these cattle in Continental Europe want their cattle to be traditionally marked or they can't be used. In many of these countries a bull has to be licensed to be used and if the markings are not right for the breed no license from the classifier.

Like much else about the Europeans misguided and not too bright.

One thing is for sure though. They never seem to lose that Superior attitude.

My remarks to this thread apply only to Piedmontese beef. I've never eaten BB or other European breeds that I know of. I haven't been raising or eating Pied beef very long, but I have found the opposite of your negative opinions apply to it. It is not dry. It is very lean and taste better than the commercial beef on today's market without the fat. Yes, I have eaten plenty of CAB. One of the things that impressed me about Pied beef was the flank steak was just as tender as the sirloin.

I've provided links to the 'big gun' of Piedmontese beef and invite you to try it while you can get free shipping. There's also an informative link to Beef Magazine and their article on Piedmontese beef.

Montana Ranch Brand/Great Plains Beef

https://store.piedmontese.com/

http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_montana_brand/

slick4591":2zlwjckz said:
My remarks to this thread apply only to Piedmontese beef. I've never eaten BB or other European breeds that I know of. I haven't been raising or eating Pied beef very long, but I have found the opposite of your negative opinions apply to it. It is not dry. It is very lean and taste better than the commercial beef on today's market without the fat. Yes, I have eaten plenty of CAB. One of the things that impressed me about Pied beef was the flank steak was just as tender as the sirloin.

I've provided links to the 'big gun' of Piedmontese beef and invite you to try it while you can get free shipping. There's also an informative link to Beef Magazine and their article on Piedmontese beef.

$20lb for a striploin is pretty steep for beef would be lucky to grade select. How do they finish their beef!

3waycross":1j76517n said:
VLS_GUY":1j76517n said:
In Northern Europe North American Charolais and Simmental bulls have won progeny tests against bulls like those in the video based on their ability to calve and grow better. Tell a French or Belgian breeder that some of these North American bulls are solid red or black and they come unglued.[/quote]

Why. Why would they care what color they are.

Yes, what the colour got to do with anything. :D

I just don;t see how some of those bulls could cover many acres of average country and still be walking, let alone servicing cows.

3waycross":33g2824t said:
slick4591":33g2824t said:

$20lb for a striploin is pretty steep for beef would be lucky to grade select. How do they finish their beef!

From Beef Magazine article:
Montana Ranch Brand cattle are being fed in several approved feedlots, harvested and processed in Hastings, NE.

3Way, you know how this all natural, no hormones and no antibiotics stuff is marketed and priced up. People will pay for healthy and quality. My guess from the above quote is they are finished on grain, but I'm not 100%.

Latest posts