Ethical Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Ranch Man

Reaction score
I have, after much consideration I have come to a conclusion. I would like to pose the question to everyone else and hear their opinion.

A few months ago I purchased some Replacment Heifers, some were Pairs and some Bred. When I went to pick up the cattle I had one Heifer which had Twins. I was sold this trio at the same price as a pair. As time went on everyone calved out with the exception of one Heifer. I called the man and he said she was palpated and at the time of palpation was 4 months bred. I did some math and she should have calved within 1 month. Well we never got that calf...she was open. How do I know? well I check the herd regularly and she never even bagged up. I called the man and he said he would refund my money if I brought her back. I recieved the ultimate confermation when I brought home my new Black Bull and he went STRAIGHT TO HER!

Heres the question: I bought 13 Heifers and got 13 calves, should I have taken her back or called it even?

I called it even, because I believe the man to be honest, and he offered me a refund. Remember I did get 13 calves out of 13 heifers.

THOUGHTS?

Sounds fair to me. When you buy something that is palped pregant you don;t alwasy get a calf. Cows abort, re-absorb or whatever. It happens. If I was in the mar4ket for more of the same I'lde sure be knocking on his door. Reputable producers are in shorter supply then one would thnk.

Stuff happens - he sounds like a man I would keep dealing with.

Call him up and tell him you are happy and you will see him in the future for more.

Tell your neighbours this guy is a straight shooter.

Bez>

Well he is obviously a good guy to deal with....he offered to take the open heifer back. If it would have been me, I would have made my decision on who did the palpation, a vet who issued health papers to that effect or someone else who thinks they know how to palpate.

On replacement cattle I just replace them or take them back no questions asked-I've only had to warranty three in fifteen years so not worth going through a big schmozzle. The oddest deal was a set of bred heifers I sent to Ontario-probably a 1500 mile haul-the guy was trying to line up the trucking and the heifers actually started to calve. I sent the uncalved heifers to him and when they got there one pair trotted off and one calved heifer. There was no calf to be found dead or alive in the trailer-not sure if the trucker pedaled it or it got stol;en in the yards when they unloadec part way-we still warranteed the heifer though. As for the guy your dealing with he sounds like a pretty straight shooter.

I know that it was already said, but I think you did the right thing and should continue to do business with him.

You made the right decision by requesting to return her. It let you know right away if the person you were dealing with was straight forward or not. I bought my first register bull about six weeks ago. The mans reputation is why I chose his farm for the bull. He said that if I didn't like how the bull performed when the calves were on the ground he would take the bull back and give me a full refund. I have since bought six registered replacement heifers from him. If you are wandering if anyone has taken one back, yes they have, and he did give a refund. No fault of his own, the owner didn't like the temperment of the bull.

I dont think its an ethical question at all. You were buying the factory, not the product. If she didnt calve there was no reason not to get back with the seller. You did and he offered to take her back. You decided to keep her and give her another chance. Seems like nobody has any issues. I seriously doubt he would have had an issue with you bringing her back either if that was what you had decided.

The 13 calves are a totally unconnected issue.

Several years ago we bought a heifer that was bred and had been palpated bred. She never calved, bagged or came into heat. I had our vet palpate her to see if maybe she had a dead calf in her. Turned out she had one juvenile ovary and one shriveled up ovary. How he ever supposedly got her bred is beyond me. He took her back and refunded us the money. In that case, that was exactly what I would have expected. If she would have slipped the calf that would have been my problem, not his.

Latest posts