Ethical question

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Can't make up my mind on this one, thought I'd ask y'all.

I have two 750lb heifers here that did not pass the vet check when I had them palpated 2 weeks ago. Both have everything they need reproductively - uterus, ovaries, etc - everything is there, but they are underdeveloped. I think someone called it 'Infantile Reproductive Tracts'? One of them is more severe than the other; my vet said she has a 1 in 50 chance of settling. The other isn't quite so bad off.

I was planning to run them through the local auction next week with the beef cows; anytime a dairy heifer runs through there it's a given that she's a freemartin, no one bothers to check, and she'll sell as a steer. Right now I think I'd be lucky to get .85/lb for these two.

BUT, I was talking with a neighbor, who felt that I was cheating myself and ought to take them both to the dairy sale (4 hour drive) and run them through there. His argument was that they have everything they need to breed, and they just might settle. I know they'd be palpated anyway; wouldn't be like I'd be passing them off as perfectly normal unless the vet didn't catch it. I might get more for them at the dairy sale, might not.

I don't know. Just doesn't feel completely right to run them through a dairy sale when I know they aren't exactly breeders. I don't want to cheat myself when I could get more for them, but then I also don't need to tarnish my reputation if that's what selling them would do. My reputation's worth far more to me than the $400 I'd lose selling them as "steers" at the beef auction.

Comments?

:???:

You answered your own question. Forget about that neighbor's opinion.

Nothing is more valuable than your word.

milkmaid":42tg7jhd said:

I have two 750lb heifers here that did not pass the vet check when I had them palpated 2 weeks ago. Both have everything they need reproductively - uterus, ovaries, etc - everything is there, but they are underdeveloped. I think someone called it 'Infantile Reproductive Tracts'? One of them is more severe than the other; my vet said she has a 1 in 50 chance of settling. The other isn't quite so bad off.

I was planning to run them through the local auction next week with the beef cows; anytime a dairy heifer runs through there it's a given that she's a freemartin, no one bothers to check, and she'll sell as a steer. Right now I think I'd be lucky to get .85/lb for these two.

BUT, I was talking with a neighbor, who felt that I was cheating myself and ought to take them both to the dairy sale (4 hour drive) and run them through there. His argument was that they have everything they need to breed, and they just might settle. I know they'd be palpated anyway; wouldn't be like I'd be passing them off as perfectly normal unless the vet didn't catch it. I might get more for them at the dairy sale, might not.

I don't know. Just doesn't feel completely right to run them through a dairy sale when I know they aren't exactly breeders. I don't want to cheat myself when I could get more for them, but then I also don't need to tarnish my reputation if that's what selling them would do. My reputation's worth far more to me than the $400 I'd lose selling them as "steers" at the beef auction.

Comments?

You have to live with yourself. Do you have the option to get them bred and then sell? They would be more valuable and all questions would be answered about their fertility.

First off I'd wait a few months to haul them to the sale barn and

Second I don't think I'd get along with your neighbor for long.Z

What Iv'e seen of auctions and salebarns the vast majority of people are out to make the most $ possible. However, I have not gone that route. I believe in the long run a good reputation will net you the most $.

milkmaid":119fs1on said:

Comments?

MM your the 1 that has to live with your choice.no 1 can tell you what todo with the heifers.with what your saying its 50/50.if you take them to a dairy sale tell them what the vet told you about the heifers.an letting the bidders decide.or you can go ahead an cull them at the beef sale.the heifers may breed if you turn them with the bull.they maybe the type that wont settle with AI.you have to make the choice.

Your good name is what you will leave as your legacy plus, if it is a four hour drive, your time and expense in delivering them is worth something.

What about selling them as beef ? We've processed several holsteins in the past and never had any trouble with them. Had two freemartins in the barn last year and would have processed them but apparently along with being freemartins they were also Olympic caliber high jumpers!!

The extra $400 wouldn't be a drop in the bucket compared to the price of trying to restore faith in your good name. Not even a 2nd thought. Go with your instinct. Boone

I agree that your reputation is far more important.

If its an option give them 45 days with a bull, wait 6 weeks and get them pregnancy tested. If they are in calf you can sell them as bred heifers at the dairy sale, if they are open you haven't lost anything except time and sell them as slaughter stock and have your reputation still in tact.

If you can keep them 30 days or more on a good feed ration with a good mineral pack, have them checked again and if there is no improvement beef them. You have a good head and a good heart follow them.

Thought abvout selling them as feeders....up here you can send a note with the animals to the auctioneer letting the folks know any info that you would like to have anounced. Or you could just holler out when they are in the ring.
Wait until March to sell them prices are usually bad until mid Feb when they start getting much better.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

Is this dairy sale only selling breeding stock? We haul our holstein steers to the dairy sale north of us. We haul our beef steers to the sale south of us. The beef sale is closer but we get more for our holsteins by going north with them. If your dairy sale is like ours, they are not just selling breeding stock. Take them to the dairy sale but tell them to not sell them as breeding stock. You could always stay at the sale and watch for them to come in the ring to make sure of how they are sold too.

Well thanks, y'all. I kind of knew what I needed to do, just needed a little bit of confirmation that way. Looks like I'll sell them like I'd originally planned - as "steers".

Would be nice if I could keep them and run them over the summer, but I don't have money, time, hay, or pasture for messing with animals this size just to satisfy my curiousity about whether they'll ever breed or not. :lol: :p Maybe someday.

Thanks again!

By the way....

Can y'all give me a guesstamite of what holstein steers at 700-800lbs would sell for? I haven't been keeping up with it that much; I know this summer I got .82-.84/lb on 7wts, but summer and winter prices do differ.

milkmaid":2djgeipq said:
Well thanks, y'all. I kind of knew what I needed to do, just needed a little bit of confirmation that way.

:lol: :lol: We all knew you were going to do the right thing anyway.

Look at the bright side, there were some very good colors shown in this thread. It is nice to know I am reading the words of folks with integrity. I have to say I am proud of everyone who gave you good advice.

Latest posts