Ethanol in trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

Not good news for the corn people, but that junk has caused more bad than good.

I guess I don't quite believe the truth on ethanol. Seems like a good idea to me.
I know there's inefficienties in production that make it pretty much a wash. But thats the case in the learning of anything new. The government should stay out though.
Let private ventures develop the technology. If there's anything to it, someone will go after it.

Takes more energy to produce it than it delivers back. It's physics 101 it's about btu's that's what pushes the vehicle down the road.
Ethanol has 76k per gallon versus gasoline 115k diesel 128k.

Alcohol is a wonderful fuel for creating tremendous amounts of power, problem is the volume it takes to do it.

^^^ Agree, Good riddance

Cost more to produce, need more of it to produce the same amount of power, damages older motors (marine a major issue) and it has a shorter shelf life so when it goes bad it needs to be disposed of

You think you're rid of gasohol? Har har har. The result will be gasoline everywhere with a composition including 15% ethanol.

Lets see here...every year there is less and less farm land due to expansion from a growing population but due to fracking and other technologies we can produce more oil than ever. So lets take our food resources and turn them into fuel that's really not any better for the environment. I understand that it's good for the farmers but at what cost? Yea,Ethanol is a great idea.

AllDodge":1r56xj6w said:
^^^ Agree, Good riddance

Cost more to produce, need more of it to produce the same amount of power, damages older motors (marine a major issue) and it has a shorter shelf life so when it goes bad it needs to be disposed of

Why is marine a major issue?

jehosofat":360hzfp0 said:
AllDodge":360hzfp0 said:
^^^ Agree, Good riddance

It soaks up water. Water becomes miscible in ethanol.It can't be transported by ship or barge only rail or pipeline. It was a pure pain to deal with. When I left the refinery in 07 it was costing 4 dollars a gallon to the refinery.

Miscibility is the property of two substances to mix in all proportions, forming a homogeneous solution. The term is most often applied to liquids, but applies also to solids and gases. Water and ethanol, for example, are miscible because they mix in all proportions. Wikipedia

I bet they up the percentage, and save the industry. I shudder, to think what even more ethanol in my fuel will do. Ethanol has been propped up by subsidies so long, the Gov will never let it topple over. IMHO, DDG was the only redeeming quality to ethanol, and it is over priced.

jehosofat":1fueqrs8 said:
AllDodge":1fueqrs8 said:
^^^ Agree, Good riddance

Need to figure out how to get notified

The water is an issue because boats sit during winter storage, but the biggest reason is any of the older boats have rubber parts which are not compatible with ethanol. Fuel lines disintegrate, carburetors start leaking. Some of the real old boats even have fiberglass fuel tanks. Straight gas does ok, but not with ethanol.

Latest posts