Estrumate In Bred heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Jaimegonzal101

Reaction score
So I did I big no no and accidentally gave a 7 month bred heifer Estrumate since I was just doing a load of them in a chute but forgot about her and ended up giving it to her as well. I've asked 2 vets so far and one said she most likely wouldn't get affected that far along and the other said she has a good chance of aborting. They recommended some Bamamine which I have given her but I would just like some other opinions. Thanks in advance guys!

At 7 months bred it's pretty unlikely she'll slip the calf. If you had given dex and estrumate/lute then it would cause her to go into labor. That's how labor is induced in cows.

What dun said. Probably won't abort.

Several years back, I had a group of first-calf heifers that milked down bad. I was preg-checking them... open, open, open... this one looks so much worse than the rest, I'm not even gonna bother putting my arm in her... fall breeding season, she didn't cycle(still pretty thin)... attempted to synch her with CIDR and prostaglandins.... never came into heat. Looked out on the hill one March morning to see a little black calf following her. She was the only one of that group that rebred on schedule as a 2-yr old... and held onto it despite my best efforts to knock it out.

Latest posts