establishing tifquik bahia grass

Help Support CattleToday:

EastTex

Reaction score
I am wanting to bring back my grandfather's old and long unmaintained hay meadow. Thirty years ago it was coastal bermuda. Now it is whatever coastal goes back to when not maintained, weeds, and many native pecans, persimmons, locusts, and is kinda a mess. The meadow has been shredded every year for the last 13 years and I have used a 27 inch root plow behind the JD 4020 to pull out the woody plants on about 15 acres of the meadow which is about half of it. The 15 acres have been graded back smooth with a box blade. Left to do is pick up the trees and roots, and then shred it again real close. I have a 1x14 moldboard I and was going to plow about 6 acres after the first killing frost and let it lay until March. Is this right? In March I was going to disk the mostly sandy loamy soil with some areas of clay loam. Whats should I do next? I have a 3 point seed broadcaster and a cultipacker. Should I cultipack the disked soil, broadcast the seed, then cultipack again? Should I drag in the seed in this soil before cultipacking the second time? Time put into this project is not an issue for me but maximum seed germination is. Please comment and thanks in advance for any comments.

Why come not go back to coastal? You'll probably have a pretty good head start on it. Plow it up and then fertilize it and weed spray in the spring and it should be good to go. Coastal is pretty hard to get rid of.

Soil test. and then lime and lime some more. disk and plow as needed to smouth and loosen compaction. I bet the costal will come back. By the way did I say LIME.

SOIL TEST

Latest posts