English lesson 101

Help Support CattleToday:

First, I would like to say that I'm sorry your husband has fallen ill and you are having to sell your livestock. If it were me selling them I would probobly split the cow calf pairs and sell them seperately. Are your cows bred back? A good full mouthed momma cow that's gravid will sell well, no matter where you are.

BTW, I hope I have not offended any Yankee, Hindu, Muslim, ACLU member, or any of my fellow Rednecks (I consider myself in this group) with my use of the English language contained in this post.

*No representation is being made that the English contained in this post is superior or more legible than any other post being made on this forum.

Trey

3waycross":36a2acjd said:
First of all I'm sorry to hear about your husband being sick, also sorry you have to SELL the cows.

Having said that why the heck do people not know how to use the word SELL.

You don't sale your cows you SELL them.
You might SELL them at the sale barn.
You might SELL them at a yard sale.
You might even go somewhere that is having a SALE on cows.
They might even be SELLING them pretty cheap.

However if you take your cows to the SALE barn and SELL them, they have now been SOLD not SALED.

Sorry but this kind of intentional wrecking of the English language make us all sound and look like we are not only not very smart but, also ignorant.

No offense intended.

Wow! Talk about making yourself look ignorant and/or stupid. I think you may have taken the cake in that department. I'll bet when a horse wins a race, you say he WON, as opposed to the correct he WINNED.

I second the motion. Do you not have anything better to do?

No offense, of course.

3waycross":2zjt61cc said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2zjt61cc said:
3waycross":2zjt61cc said:
First of all I'm sorry to hear about your husband being sick, also sorry you have to SELL the cows.

However if you take your cows to the SALE barn and SELL them, they have now been SOLD not SALED.

Sorry but this kind of intentional wrecking of the English language make us all sound and look like we are not only not very smart but, also ignorant.

No offense intended.
Thanks for the English lesson. It's a SOUTHERN THANG, get over it. Being from Colorado you wouldn't understand. Just a thought for you,I wouldn't come to TEXAS and throw that ignorant word around. It might just get ya hurt.
No offence intended. :cboy:

No offense taken. Been puttin up with Texans and their Bull---t for my whole life.

As far as actually going there, reminds me of the Prologue of a BOOK I READ. It said " Poor New Mexico, so far from heaven and so close to Texas. Think I'll stay here and keep New Mexico between us.

Funny thing is I've known a lot of great Southerners in my life none of them talk that way. Course most of them was 8th grade gradgiates.

As a matter of fact I'm 1/4 Oakie and NONE of my relatives from OK or MO. talked that way.

and thanks for the threat, makes you sound even more intelligent.

In the sentence about the 8th. graders didn't you mean were? :D

Kinda looks like all us uneducated hicks stick together Mr. Webster.I know (kinda) isnt a real word.

Who was wondering why no one joins this form ? Or leaves from the embarrassment of asking a simple question. I did not see where one had to use proper grammar.

KMacGinley":21iyzjvs said:
3waycross":21iyzjvs said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":21iyzjvs said:
3waycross":21iyzjvs said:

No offense intended.
Thanks for the English lesson. It's a SOUTHERN THANG, get over it. Being from Colorado you wouldn't understand. Just a thought for you,I wouldn't come to TEXAS and throw that ignorant word around. It might just get ya hurt.
No offence intended. :cboy:

No offense taken. Been puttin up with Texans and their Bull---t for my whole life.

As far as actually going there, reminds me of the Prologue of a BOOK I READ. It said " Poor New Mexico, so far from heaven and so close to Texas. Think I'll stay here and keep New Mexico between us.

Funny thing is I've known a lot of great Southerners in my life none of them talk that way. Course most of them was 8th grade gradgiates.

As a matter of fact I'm 1/4 Oakie and NONE of my relatives from OK or MO. talked that way.

and thanks for the threat, makes you sound even more intelligent.

In the sentence about the 8th. graders didn't you mean were? :D

I also meant graduates, guess you missed that one professor, or did you think gradiates was the correct spelling.

Well, looks like I opened up a can of worms.I thought about this a lot last night and I really feel sorry for this mans wife ! Don't you? It just goes to show you no one is perfect. This subject is closed for me.

No offence intended!! or taken!!!

hink":36zw72jw said:
Well, looks like I opened up a can of worms.I thought about this a lot last night and I really feel sorry for this mans wife ! Don't you? It just goes to show you no one is perfect. This subject is closed for me.

Hink, Don't sweat any of it. We've all opened that same can from time to time. Some times the cans are much bigger :lol: :lol: :lol:

You had legitimate questions and most everyone in the forum will try to help if they can.

Jay Leno shows newspaper misprints regularly and those folks are professionals. Some of the headlines are downright funny.

I haven't had an English (grammar) class in 30 years. How can I expect anyone else here to be on top of their technical writing skills?

Best of luck with everything. Let us know how it goes.

To all of my attackers here. The only mistake I've made in my opinion is not starting a separate thread asking why it's so fashionable to intentionally screw up the english language.

It had very little to do with Hink, other than to serve as an example of what I meant to say.

To answer a question This is a prime example of why people don't stay on these forums very long.

Question anything and you're a Pariah!

As far as whether the horse won or win the race. I worked at a track when I was young and heard it both ways didn't mean it was right. Worked for Wayne Lucas a little that year and never heard him say win or winned. Maybe that's why he ended up winning the Kentucky Derby. Must drive you people nuts when people like that are standing in the winners circle speaking proper English

One last thought. I'd say there is a pretty good chance that most if not all of the people who have nailed me for my remark are the same people who upon hearing someone speak Spanish or any other foreign language wil be the first to say why the heck doesn't that foreigner learn to speak English?

The answer: Why should they YOU don't.

hink":2qj5yezr said:

I am truly sorry if I offended you that as I stated to begin with was never my intention.

Having said that don't worry about my wife, she also speaks English so we get along pretty well, there are far more annoying things that I do that really bother her.

I also am truly sorry that you are having to sell your cows. I just gor back into the cow business after being gone for a long time. I would hate to have to sell out again so soon because of health issues.

By the way you didn't open the can of worms I did.

No offence intended!! or taken!!!

Some entertaining stuff here! But although I've never called anyone out on it, the "SALE" thing has always been a little pet peave of mine also. I know I don't exactly have the best English skills so I would usually just let it go. But I feel 3waycross is taking a little too much heat here.

Also: "The horse winned the race" is proper? Can anyone verify that? Or am I just being gullible? By the way did you know 'gullible' really isn't a proper word? It's not in the Webster's dictionary anyway.

Born and raised right here in Texas and right now I'm not sure english is our states language anymore , I certainly dont hear it much in public anymore , especially not at Walmart , of course I only go there when something is on sell...

3waycross":2av9sc4e said:
mnmtranching":2av9sc4e said:
Hink, sorry to hear you have to SALE your herd.

I think the best thing would be to SALE them at an auction as a
complete herd SELL.

The competitive bid is a good way to SALE cattle. And your check is guaranteed.

I'm not making fun, I think SALE cattle is just fine. 8)

YA sure, You Betcha!!!!!!!!!!

Not making fun just having some.

I guess now I can't go to Mn. either withou getting my a$$ kicked.

You certainly got that one right!

No offense intended :shock:

Good news I put them on the cattle today classifieds and a man thinks he wants them all. Thanks for all the info and help. :lol:

RN BSN":13zoaeny said:
I like that name (( 3waycross )) must have been thinking of your family tree when you picked that out.

Offense intended

:clap: :clap: :clap: :banana:

I have a son who is very dyslexic. He can't spell or write worth a crap. You know, it's a Kentucky hillbilly thing. ( I did get shoes on him when he was 11.) But, he can make a speech and run circles around you 3 way cross. Grammer is not a true measure of intelligence, or even education, but surely someone as educated as you would know that. Didn't those sisters teach you something about charitible actions at school ? We have one school around here we all call the " University of Hired Athletics". Maybe that is where you went ?

usernametaken":234gyc7q said:
RN BSN":234gyc7q said:
I like that name (( 3waycross )) must have been thinking of your family tree when you picked that out.

Offense intended

:clap: :clap: :clap: :banana:

I have a son who is very dyslexic. He can't spell or write worth a crap. You know, it's a Kentucky hillbilly thing. ( I did get shoes on him when he was 11.) But, he can make a speech and run circles around you 3 way cross. Grammer is not a true measure of intelligence, or even education, but surely someone as educated as you would know that. Didn't those sisters teach you something about charitible actions at school ? We have one school around here we all call the " University of Hired Athletics". Maybe that is where you went ?

Now there's a snappy comeback. Did your wife/cousin help you write it. Or did you sharpen your pencil on that one good tooth and cipher it out yourself.

hink":hy0r19h4 said:
Good news I put them on the cattle today classifieds and a man thinks he wants them all. Thanks for all the info and help. :lol:

Good news and best of luck to you !

untaken

Keep it up people.

I would have never known there were that many ways to defend the right to be , and stay illiterate.

Every one of your attacks on me proves my point, especially the Kentuckyians who make fun of other peoples family trees. WOW that is the best one of all.

Now Ya'all take off your shoes(if you'uns wear them) and count up all the reasons(using all 11 of your fingers and all 8 of your toes) why it makes sense to keep attacking me.

By the way "Usernametaken" I'll expect to hear from you in another 24 hours when you've had time to think up another snappy comeback. Heck why not hire a local knowledger amd do it in 23 hours.

Meanwhile I'm going to take MY Hillbilly Grandma's advice and stop arguing with idiots!

SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts