Emma and Rosie

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
Emma and Rosie are heifers, Emma is 15 months (AI bred out of Priority) old Rosie is 11 months. I put a straw in Emma 3 weeks ago today ,Rosie is following her around like a little horn dog. Emma wants nothing to do with her and her estrotect patch and still silver and unblemished. My question is it's almost like Rosie thinx she (Emma) should be in heat. Hopefully Emma is bred but would she let some sort of scent or something to make Rosie want to be checking her out? Rosie is a good little heat detector almost like a steer. When I get home I'll pay a lot more attention to them and see what's going on.

Thanks Scott

I often see a three-week cycle "interest" in the just-pregnant cows. My bull has been following one of the cows around for the last three days but there doesn't seem to be anything happening apart from his interest. He seemed similarly taken with another yesterday, on her three-week date. I've had a few who'd actually stand but were already pregnant.

I was reminded last night that a three-day following bull means the cow is actually coming on heat. She doesn't smell interesting for that long when it's a pregnant three-week date. Ah well, another nice calf from my yearling bull instead of the Aussie sire I gave her first.

I just had my heifers checked a week ago. Due to weather and all the mud, I was able to get the heifers caught on Saturday morning while ground was still frozen and moved to another farm with better loadout in muddy weather. Spring steers were on that farm, but what the heck. I checked them Sunday and I be darn, one of the heifers was being ridden...and of course, it was one of the "top" heifers I was really hoping would be bred. I took them to the vet on Monday morning expecting the worst, but vet said she was 70d bred with a little bull calf! (Ultrasound is the way to go if you can get it done) Vet said calf was very active, heartbeat was clear as a bell and no reason this heifer shouldn't carry to term. Vet said it happens sometimes. I also had a cow that was bred 8 mos. and stood for the bull...and I mean stood for the whole service by the bull. less than 3 weeks later that cow calved a nice healthy calf. My father-in-law said, "Son, you better not sale that bull, he'll breed a cow and 3 weeks later give you a dandy calf like that!" haha I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Atleast it didn't get one of it's eyes poked out!

After further review of the play:
Emma should be bred

Rosie is on a 19 day cycle (monday eve standing)

The Boyds New Day cow (Chicken) started cycling 21 days after calving

Updated the calender!!

Latest posts