Electromagnetic drill press

Help Support CattleToday:

As usual you sound qualified... 😂
You are limiting your responses here being a smart azz and not telling people what is going on with the full aspect of the job. There are a dozen tools that will do that job. Your price range, the ability of the people doing it, and all kind of stuff you don't want to hear factor in so people are having to keep it in simple terms for you.

I've never used a lot of stuff in this world, and never plan to, but I can rub two brain cells together and understand how they work and their applications.

You are limiting your responses here being a smart azz and not telling people what is going on with the full aspect of the job. There are a dozen tools that will do that job. Your price range, the ability of the people doing it, and all kind of stuff you don't want to hear factor in so people are having to keep it in simple terms for you.

I've never used a lot of stuff in this world, and never plan to, but I can rub two brain cells together and understand how they work and their applications.
I think your taking things personal. I thought we were joking around... stupid me.

I think your taking things personal. I thought we were joking around... stupid me.
Naw we are having a great time. I always enjoy our special time together.

I really do want to hear how it turns out. Despite what you think I did grow up the son of a guy who did metal fabrication for over 40 years until he physically couldn't any more. I know what drilling 1000 of those holes in place means and also know the conditions around it will factor in.

Naw we are having a great time. I always enjoy our special time together.

I really do want to hear how it turns out. Despite what you think I did grow up the son of a guy who did metal fabrication for over 40 years until he physically couldn't any more. I know what drilling 1000 of those holes in place means and also know the conditions around it will factor in.
Good. And I've been doing it for 30 years with my own money. Mostly in commercial construction. When you ask a question like this in a forum. Your lucky to get 1 out of 10 who can actually give you a experienced answer. Info that doesn't matter muddy s the water. Fwiw I answered hurley you just weren't there.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I'll work on it.

Good. And I've been doing it for 30 years with my own money. Mostly in commercial construction. When you ask a question like this in a forum. Your lucky to get 1 out of 10 who can actually give you a experienced answer. Info that doesn't matter muddy s the water. Fwiw I answered hurley you just weren't there.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I'll work on it.
I told you long ago you can't hurt my feelings. One day when you are more confident in your abilities you will understand that.

I used one years ago to fabricate a small building for the boss drilling for 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch bolts through 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch steel. Didn't have the fancy cutters being mention here, twist bits only. Lucky I was under a shed and out of the sun.

I'll suggest using finger grips to clamp a piece of angle or something for the drill to rest on. I was able to break the magnetic field if I applied to much pressure on those 3/4 inch holes. Some of the I-beams didn't have a good flat surface which didn't help the problem. Since you are mounting vertical, something to stop gravity taking over might be a good idea. Just thinking out loud ya know. ;)

Vett's suggestion is good. 11ga does not hold the magnet all that well. A sharp annular cutter will cut through in probably 10 seconds or less. It will keep two people plenty busy.

We've got a corded one like in the pic at work. It's gets the job done but has always seemed under powered. A few months back they bought the cordless version and it seems much better. I'm sure you already know but they make hole saw extensions so you can go through both sides without moving the drill.

They work really well on thick steel that will hold the magnet. Annular cutters are the cats meow.

Thin steel expecially if the drill isn't laying flat horizontal can be an issue. Make sure you attach the safety chain to something so when it falls off it doesn't hit the ground.

20220325_173305.jpg
It seems like the chuck holder on the crdless model is also an anular tool holder. It has an oiler too...unfortunately the oiler will never get used.

Fence, if you haven't already check out Evolution Tools mag base drills. They also sell annular cutters at a good price. I've heard good things about the metal cutoff saws they sell so maybe they are good. At half the price of the Milwaukee it may be worth a try.

I didn't know they made the drills until this morning when I was shopping for a cutoff saw.

Last edited:

Latest posts