Electromagnetic drill press

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I need to drill approx 1000 13/16 holes straight, precise, and neatly through 11 gauge square post that are going to be already set in concrete slab. Torch or plasma cutter is not going to be a option. I'm thinking this is the tool for the job. Any better ideas????

This may not work for your application, but if you can get it to the place it will punch a hole fast and a lot cheaper tool. A local big metal shop usually uses a plasma cutter or punch to make holes in some pretty thick steel. Drilling can be no fun in thicker steel, but 11 gauge shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
I need to drill approx 1000 13/16 holes straight, precise, and neatly through 11 gauge square post that are going to be already set in concrete slab. Torch or plasma cutter is not going to be a option. I'm thinking this is the tool for the job. Any better ideas????
Thats the tool for the job. $1 a hole before bits but then you have a pretty handy tool around. Finding good drill bits will be the tricky part. Does it allow enough travel to drill thru the post from one side?

Yep, I was going to say annular cutter and mag base should work well.

Yes go with the slugger type. Much much quicker and probably cheaper per hole.. I did thousands of holes through beams back when I was a young guy. The cutters thru that thin of metal will make a lot of holes and they can be resharpened for about 1/4th the price of a new bit. Ask your welding supply or some of the local fab shops whats the best brand going, where to buy the cutters and who close by sharpens them. For that thin of metal, use a 1" long cutter. Buy WD40 by the gallon and a spray bottle.

When drilling on a vertical surface, have a operator and a helper. One guy holds the tool in position while the other guy flips the switch for the magnet. The cutters have a center pin that sticks out the end for alignment and then ejects the slug.

Yes go with the slugger type. Much much quicker and probably cheaper per hole.. I did thousands of holes through beams back when I was a young guy. The cutters thru that thin of metal will make a lot of holes and they can be resharpened for about 1/4th the price of a new bit. Ask your welding supply or some of the local fab shops whats the best brand going, where to buy the cutters and who close by sharpens them. For that thin of metal, use a 1" long cutter. Buy WD40 by the gallon and a spray bottle.

When drilling on a vertical surface, have a operator and a helper. One guy holds the tool in position while the other guy flips the switch for the magnet. The cutters have a center pin that sticks out the end for alignment and then ejects the slug.
Going through both sides of 21/2 square.

Thanks that makes sense.
Question. Im drilling through 21/2" square. Spindle travel on tool is 5"+.
So should be possible to drill through from one side. Would that change your strategy??

I think I would drill from both sides. If the post is not perfectly plumb your holes are not going to be exactly level. I presume that it is all suppose to be level? No slope? If you wanted to go all the way through you might have to use conventional drill bit and that might require a pilot hole. You have to be somewhat careful with annular cutters as they will break if put in a bind. Going all the way through might be difficult to do. and not do this. You also would need to pull back first to eject the slug from the first hole.

How are you going to lay out the holes, with a laser or just measure off the slab?

Going through both sides of 21/2 square.

Thanks that makes sense.
Question. Im drilling through 21/2" square. Spindle travel on tool is 5"+.
So should be possible to drill through from one side. Would that change your strategy??
I have never used an annular cutter. Looking at them most have a cutting depth of 2 inches. You may be crowding it to do 2.5 inches. Otherwise you would have to move the drill press to the opposite side of the tubing. Even using a drill bit you would have to figure the length of the chuck to see if you have enough travel.

I have a magnetic base drill like that Fence. I don't use it a lot but it is very handy for the jobs I do use it on. I use what we call the broach cutters mostly, they are brilliant, slice right through 12mm (1/2") steel very easy and cleanly. You do have to keep the coolant running on the job or your cutters won't last long. It won't get all the way through your posts, even if it did getting coolant on the other side would be a problem best to mark with a square and callipers and move to 2nd side.

Ken

What is going through the holes and is what ever welded to the tube.

Yes the tool will do the job. How well it turns out will depend on the prep of who ever is operating the tool. How well the posts were set will depend on how much of a pia the set up will be.

There you go... go buy it. Let us know how it goes. 😄

I have a magnetic base drill like that Fence. I don't use it a lot but it is very handy for the jobs I do use it on. I use what we call the broach cutters mostly, they are brilliant, slice right through 12mm (1/2") steel very easy and cleanly. You do have to keep the coolant running on the job or your cutters won't last long. It won't get all the way through your posts, even if it did getting coolant on the other side would be a problem best to mark with a square and callipers and move to 2nd side.

Ken
Thanks for the good info Ken.

Andy

Latest posts